Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 35 of 116 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 115 116
Re: AxiomAir
Ian #416256 01/04/16 08:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL, i hear you Mike, but define "so close" in the world of electronics development.
My first reaction was:
"I read 'so close' in the forums yesterday but five bucks says we won't see anything for x months..." rather than "gee, it's been six months why don't they have something by now..."

Quote:
I indicated that at the 35th, there were none to be seen, and IMHO, the electronic section of the Air we abused was not ready for prime time.

I'm not sure anyone was listening to you.
smile
Jerks.

Last edited by chesseroo; 01/04/16 08:22 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
BBIBH #416269 01/05/16 03:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By BBIBH
I indicated that at the 35th, there were none to be seen, and IMHO, the electronic section of the Air we abused was not ready for prime time.

The electronics or the software? The software is the component they have the least control over.

I'm absolutely confident that Axiom is working furiously to get this thing out the door as a quality product. We all so how they worked to resolve their sub amp issues a few years back.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
chesseroo #416279 01/05/16 07:43 AM
Z
Z
Originally Posted By chesseroo
I think too many people are impatient.
Our society is inundated with too much instant end products for use, purchase or consumption from instant texts to instant oatmeal. If something isn't available on hand instantly, the herds must gripe.

Kickstarter provides funds for an IDEA with an end product. There is no guarantee of an end product though so why the hell would anyone think their Kickstarter money was used as if they just bought something on Amazon shipping the next day?

I'm sure Axiom will develop the Air, but to assume it was just going to be done and ready in months at most is naive.
There's people already complaining they haven't received a unit a month after the Kickstarter project completed funding.
For those with that instant gratification mentality that have themselves in a frustration-fueled merry go round, i have no sympathies.

I don't think anyone supported this project for instant gratification. Since October axiom has been using the "carrrot and stick" approach with backers which is making them impatient. I can go hours without eating but the minute you throw food in front of me I become irritable.

They would have been better off saying the project will take another 6 months or at least posting consistent updates so people don't get their hopes up too high. I've supported many kickstarters that have been well over a year past their delivery date but they've either been consistently vocal or at least honest when it comes to how long their delay will be.

As for kickstarter being not being like amazon... Kickstarter is supposed to be like amazon. Your not investing in the product or donating to it. You are literally buying the product on faith that the creator will deliver the product promised on a set date or time period that they came up with while factoring in any possible complications or delays. The delivery date on kickstarter project is no different than the estimated delivery date on an amazon product. The only difference is that you are putting a lot more faith in the creator while the creator is putting their name on the line. This makes communication between backers and creators very important. As long as backers are kept in the loop they rarely complain but when you leave them in the dark the relationship starts to waiver and destroy the whole point of kick-starter which is creating a solid relationship between backer and creators.

chesseroo #416286 01/05/16 01:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By chesseroo
Originally Posted By nickbuol
To me, I was under the impression that

I could cut this off here Nick as it demonstrates my point.
The impression/opinion = ASSUMPTION people form these days is that something will be ready soon, instantly, shortly, more so than the thought "hey, i wonder if this could take awhile for a finished product" or "there is evidence a prototype is in development enough for me to support the Kickstarter idea, but as a generally sane individual i KNOW that technology creation (e.g. CRT tvs exist for decades from B&W to colour to flat screens to big screens then finally in the 2000s decade almost 20 years for -- LCD--LED--OLED tvs...) still takes years to develop to a finished product, if ever".

Quote:
they were working on the kinks way back then, but were close to having a product ready to go. With all of the time since then I would say that they don't want "a" product ready, but then want a quality product ready.

No doubt Axiom will only release a fairly solid product before releasing it and even then, after it ships it will also no doubt have revisions after the masses find faults during large scale field testing.

Some of the new developments which i saw during my first tour of the factory in 2004, didn't come to fruition as completed products for years. It was lip biting to keep the secret quiet on the upcoming DSP subwoofers back then until they were released!

Exactly. I am making the same point... It appeared, to an outside observer (me), that they just had tweaks left to do, but to them they wanted to get it up to the Axiom standard before releasing it and that is taking time. They don't want a half-baked product going out.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
fredk #416288 01/05/16 02:11 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Originally Posted By fredk

The electronics or the software? The software is the component they have the least control over.

I'm absolutely confident that Axiom is working furiously to get this thing out the door as a quality product. We all so how they worked to resolve their sub amp issues a few years back.

It does not matter about Axiom's control over which pieces Fred, they are offering the product, so Axiom owns the issue regardless of who builds individual components.

I am also confident, having known Ian since the late 1980's. But there needs to be some sort of review and communications on the situation to update those who are asking after investing their hard earned money.

nickbuol #416290 01/05/16 05:09 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Certainly this whole process regarding the tooling has been two steps forward and one back. Pictured below is the new rear tool we remade. It is getting some final tweaks as the two parts need to mate together perfectly to work under the pressure of the molding machine. The process of all these tweaks is driving me crazy but we are working through it. I don’t know how many times we have had that tool together and then ripped apart again but it is inching closer to perfection.

Also pictured below is the new dry tunnel we added to our paint booth so we can bake the finish on the AxiomAirs after they are molded.

On the software side, it is good to go now, and very cool to use. Andrew, Michelangelo, and I have been running the system in our homes for a few months now and getting all the bugs we could find ironed out. I have three of them running around my house; one is hooked to my main system, another to a pair of M2’s in the bedroom, and a third set built into a pair of M3s on the desk. I am sure there will be lots more updates to the software once we start to get feedback from a broader audience. But the update button is working great and Michelangelo is going to be all over making any changes once we start to get feedback.

More than anyone I am so looking forward to getting this product shipping. I think people are going to love it once they have it.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Ian #416292 01/05/16 05:56 PM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J
whoa my eyes are playing tricks on me !!! I sear .. saw a case of 24 whizzing by on that last picture!

Ian #416294 01/05/16 08:17 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
It truly is a painfully fulfilling experience to build something unique smile.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #416302 01/05/16 11:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Mojo
It truly is a painfully fulfilling experience to build something unique smile.

Like a relationship with a woman.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ian #416307 01/06/16 12:51 AM
M
M
Cam, judging by your avatar, you're beyond the pain smile.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Page 35 of 116 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 115 116

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup