Rate Thread
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: The Daily Gripe
nickbuol #416061 12/26/15 02:34 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Or Katrina was Obama's fault.

Wait, am I not playing right?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
nickbuol #417146 02/20/16 12:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just love it when a caregiver sets the alarm clock for 7 p.m. instead of 7 a.m. I now get to listen to a very loud beeping noise until 10 p.m. FFS!

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #417165 02/20/16 07:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thank you, Cam, really. I appreciate your understanding.

About the alarm, can you get a voice-command one so that won't happen again?

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #417167 02/20/16 10:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By BobKay
About the alarm, can you get a voice-command one so that won't happen again?

I've never seen one. Also, the alarm is in another room, so it probably wouldn't work anyway.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #417189 02/22/16 02:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So, next option, caregiver interviews? (Ha! Camgiver Interviews!)

I have had a cell phone since 1996. (No, not the same one, you ageist creeps!) I have never downloaded an app. However, I DO know that there are a coupla/four million out there+++. There's gotta be one that can make your phone do that with voice commands. If there is not, then get one of these lazy, computer-nerd bastards around here to create one for you.

If they all feign ignorance, then you and I will know that at least 3 or them are lying turds.

I'm sorry, that was too much. I should never have called anyone lazy.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #417195 02/22/16 09:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By BobKay

If they all feign ignorance, then you and I will know that at least 3 or them are lying turds.

I'm sorry, that was too much. I should never have called anyone lazy.

Yeah, but were the nicest lying turds you know (that will talk to you).

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
nickbuol #418952 05/06/16 06:53 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I hate it when "responsible" companies do irresponsible things...

Such as sending out mass emails offering a discount and some product updates, and then putting a single Q&A at the bottom that is 180 degrees opposite of what the whole rest of the world (that knows) knows to be true... If technology is designed and there are hundreds of in-depth tests on a particular subject that say "do X" then why do some companies tell people, "no, do Y because you already own a 'Y' product."

Rant done.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #418954 05/07/16 12:19 AM
old hand
old hand
Hey Nick --

Hope all is good with you! Your theater is looking great! The following consists of a few under-informed personal thoughts, along with some technical information which you already know very well:

I agree, the consensus advice on Atmos seems to be point sources. However, the QS8 is rather unconventional among multi-driver surrounds with angled faces, the main distinctions being that all drivers are in phase, and the four drivers are placed on four different physical faces of the unit. The older dipoles with out-of-phase response created a null at the listener position which really delocalized the source, as was good for the old-school ambience-only surround tracks. In my reading, bipoles (in phase) are much less strongly disfavored for duty in an Atmos setup than dipoles (out of phase), and the QS8s are indeed more closely aligned with the former camp. The QS8s do add a wider (and much more complicated frequency dependent) dispersion pattern, but have a reputation for remaining localizable.

Other considerations include the fact that a commercial theater has LOTs of individually addressable speakers, located in the far field, whereas a home theater will have a much smaller number of speakers (though still perhaps quite a few, say 11), many of which are in the near field for certain seating positions. It would seem to me that a speaker which is slightly less localizable and slightly more forgiving in placement could be a decent tradeoff in quite a few situations for home use, giving up some pinpoint positioning, but creating the sensation of a a more seamless (if somewhat smeared) continuum of sources. It also would seem that the rather unique design of the QS8, and the comparatively low market penetration of this design, would imply that most people making recommendations have not specifically auditioned this scenario.

Caveats: I know you've got a great Atmos system set up, and have specifically listened to a few alternative configurations, deciding ultimately to send the QS8s for trade-up. By contrast, I've not ever even heard an Atmos system in a home-sized setting, so I freely confess that there is no direct experience behind what I'm saying. In fact, I haven't even got my own QS8's hung yet. But, it seems like the initial response in your build thread after some trial runs with Atmos source material was to favor the QS8s for the surround (not ceiling) application, for reasons basically similar to those I mentioned above.

Here's another take on the issue from our friends at AudioHolics.

Anyway, in a nutshell, the advice from the newsletter does not sound crazy to me ... I would be much more skeptical if they told me to buy something new!

Cheers-
DSQ

nickbuol #418955 05/07/16 02:05 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
and what mass mailing was this? Did i miss something or my email filter something out that is should not?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
nickbuol #418956 05/07/16 02:30 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Matt, the email was about an update on the progress of the AxiomAir, and a 25% discount on a pair of Arctic White Algonquin outdoor speakers (with free FMBs).

As for the "non-monopole" speakers for Atmos, there are a couple of people here that have them and they are enjoying their setup, so the short answer in the email I guess is true, that no you do not have to swap out the QS speakers currently providing surround duty, but it is also a disservice to not at least mention that Dolby specifically calls out for monopole, regardless of how many speakers you are using. Some people use two right surrounds and two left surrounds plus rear surrounds, and even front wides in their $100,000 setups, but they are all still spec'd to be monopole because of the dispersion.

If one of the right surrounds is placed for a front row of seats, and the other for the rear row, most of the directionality of these monopole speakers is set to impact just that row and now "spray" into the other row. That surround speaker that is closer to being in-line with that row of seats will be what the listeners in that row hear as their, in this example, right surround speaker, and not have much "muddying" from the other surround speaker.

With the QS speakers, as awesome as they are, they are really spraying sound all over the place. Great for traditional surround sound.

As for the Audiohaulic's article, keep in mind that Gene has done pretty much nothing but bash Atmos from the start (as evident in his videos on the subject). He isn't ready to make that change, and has even said in a video that he has no plans of trading out his surround speakers no matter what anyone says (again, because of his blindness to what Atmos can do).

So I guess had the email simply said, "While Dolby recommends monopole speakers in all locations, we have several in our community that have kept their QS speakers for surround locations and completely enjoy the experience." or something, at least it would be up-front about what the creators of the technology state as a "high recommendation for the best experience" and yet still give comfort to the person that running out and buying something different doesn't have to happen.

That way they would give the correct technical answer, but yet offer some "hey, it isn't the end of the world either" type of information.

As for me, yes I looked really hard at putting a pair of QS8s up in a "wide" position (which was originally to fix some of my ill-placed speakers that had a large gap between the front mains and the side surrounds). Instead, I fixed the problem by moving my false wall which allowed me to widen out my front speakers, I also moved the side surround more forward, and then also widened out my rear surrounds while I was at it. This was a big improvement with just 7.1 sound. So the QS8's were going to attempt to fill a large void created by a few placement mistakes. I decided to do it right and fix those mistakes.

I also talked about putting the QS8s further back and more in the middle of my 2 rows of seats so that the "woofers" would fire towards each row (front woofer towards the front row, and rear woofer towards the rear row) as an attempt to try to make a pseudo "two surround speakers" effect. In practice this just made for strange sound that wasn't nearly as "crisp" as when I tested things out with an on-wall M3. So I scrapped that idea and just focused on my front row of seats as my primary listening area. Maybe someday I will add a second set of monopole side surround like a lot of the expensive builds do, but that will be my compromise.... The rear set of seats has that audio compromise, but with my advanced Atmos speaker placement, they fill in some of that gap nicely, so it is negligible.

Anyway, thanks for the conversation. I admit that I was a bit harsh about my response to the email, but a touch of better wording would have actually made for a better answer for the person.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020