Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Disappointed with the current round of AV units
SBrown #417256 02/27/16 09:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By SBrown
Here is another one for you. Onkyo said I could qualify for the trade-in program, then when I went to do that they said I couldn't because I am Canadian. What???

So now they said I would qualify for a rebate and I told them to stuff it because I will never support their products again.EVER

Well, I guess being Canadian doesn't have all of the perks I thought it did...

Again, sucky... Sorry man..

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #417258 02/27/16 10:24 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
I don't agree with that Casey because it's like telling someone that they can't buy something from where they want to.

If they want to sell more units, then people should be allowed to buy something on sale or discounted after all it is North America and the Canada, USA thing is a bunch of bull. But, what ever.

Places like B&H Photo & Video, sell to Canadians(all over the world) and they honor the warranty of their products. Onkyo being a Japanese Co. , I thought they would know about Honor. But.. I am over it, only because I fixed it myself.

SBrown #417261 02/28/16 01:38 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By SBrown
I don't agree with that Casey because it's like telling someone that they can't buy something from where they want to.

If they want to sell more units, then people should be allowed to buy something on sale or discounted after all it is North America and the Canada, USA thing is a bunch of bull. But, what ever.

Places like B&H Photo & Video, sell to Canadians(all over the world) and they honor the warranty of their products. Onkyo being a Japanese Co. , I thought they would know about Honor. But.. I am over it, only because I fixed it myself.

I am with you on this one, however, once this happened to me, there ultimately was a silver lining to all of it. Back about a year and a half ago or so I was looking for a new AVR, however, when Yamaha introduced their new Pre-pro at the time(CX-A5000), I decided to look in to buying one and see how good a price I could achieve. Luckily enough, there is a number of Yamaha dealers relatively close by and they are pretty competitive especially for a higher end product like this one in Yamaha's line.

When all was said and done, I ended up buying one from a local retailer at a price level that was pretty competitive with anything I found in the U.S. and that wasn't even taking in to account any exchange difference and all the other extra charges that go with it. Sometimes it is just a matter of doing a little homework and checking around.

If it is new, I buy locally, unless it happens to be something I cannot purchase here, the U.S. is not even a consideration.

MMM #417264 02/28/16 04:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
So I am really getting close to jumping to Anthem for my next receiver. I can get a killer deal (I tipped off JBG from here about the deal, and he is getting his on Wednesday) through an authorized reseller that is also an installer... More specifically, he runs an "Authorized Installer" company that is listed right on the Anthem web site (and is from Canada too).

Anyway, he is offering some Anthem receivers at a good discount if you are a part of a particular Facebook group, or referred to by someone in the Facebook group (which is why I referred JBG). The discount is pretty much what he charges people that he does installation services for.

So Anthem has a promotion right now where if you buy an Anthem MRX 720, 1120, or AVM 60 and you get either a Paradigm PW AMP or PW 800 (Paradigm's version of the AxiomAir).

So I ask this "authorized reseller" about that deal. Even though the requirements on Anthem's website only state that you have to buy from someone that they recognize as an authorized reseller (or installer) then you get your choice... Valid in both the U.S. and Canada. Sounds good, right? Nope... He said that he just was alerted to the Anthem offer 2 days ago, but Anthem says that the reseller MUST sell the product at "full retail price" as they are cutting profits from the resellers to cover about 50% of the cost of the "free" stuff.

So even meeting the only guidelines right on their website does not mean that it actually applies to every purchase.

Now, while I thought that the PW 800 would be awesome (comes with ARC room correction too) as I could give it to my daughter for her wedding since they have wanted something like that for a wedding gift, but I would rather take my $1300 discount instead.

Not sure what my point is with this. Just that even when a manufacturer makes a statement of an offer, and if you actually go with an authorized reseller, it doesn't mean that it applied to you.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MMM #417274 02/28/16 07:14 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Just wondering, since the deal applies to any dealer in the U.S. or Canada, why not just go to the closest authorized retail outlet in your vicinity? The idea of a having to access a face book page and all the other stuff, seems a little fishy to me. If I were you, before I made the commitment here, just for clarification, I would probably call Anthem/Pardigm H.O. in Mississauga, Ontario.

Installers generally don't have showrooms and because they don't have the space, don't keep stock on hand anyway, so, on each occasion, they would have to order it from the company.

Last edited by casey01; 02/28/16 07:15 PM.
MMM #417291 02/29/16 12:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Any dealer store will charge full retail. This installer is selling Anthem gear to non-install clients every week and they are posting about it. He is still listed on Anthem's website, and when I asked Anthem about it (via email) they said that the online list was "current."

JBG from here ordered from him and should have his new Anthem on Wednesday. That should be somewhat telling as to the reliability of the seller.

Also, the big reason why it is such a good deal for me is due to the USD to CAD exchange rate...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #417294 02/29/16 01:28 AM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J
Perhaps if I'am lucky I should get it tomorrow... (it's already in montreal...) I say take the plunge, my only dilemma with this is if the amp if powerful enough for my tastes for my mains ... I have an emotive xpa-5 waiting to be plugged with it.. IMHO it a damm good deal there Nick.. i've gotten a tracking number and the transaction has been so far been very good, fast & courteous communications... more on this when I actually get the package..

also Nick you must perhaps factor in duties & customs... you have to look into that...

7.1.4 * MRX1120 * M100s * 180HP * 4x M3-on walls * 4x M3-IC * dual XV15se * Shakers
MMM #417298 02/29/16 03:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, for me it is about $120 USD for shipping and about $132 USD for "duties."... Even with that factored in, is is just a hair more than $1000 off of MSRP. John, shoot me a PM and let me know what you paid up their in Canada, and I will compare it to what he is saying my US price would be.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MMM #417308 02/29/16 10:27 PM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J
Just received my mrx1120 today, first thoughts; is this a great machine.. the setup menu much more flexible than the mrx500 I had.. can save a few different speaker setups for each device... I just love this receiver. sound processing is very good so is the video section... very happy with this purchase.

the mrx1120 really shows how atmos is a game changer (and that is what my wife says)

7.1.4 * MRX1120 * M100s * 180HP * 4x M3-on walls * 4x M3-IC * dual XV15se * Shakers
MMM #418346 04/02/16 06:38 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Not that I have the money right now or in the foreseeable future, but maybe I'll have to go Anthem with my next unit. My Onkyo (TX-NR828) is on the way out in the same way as my previous Onkyo (TX-NR708). The audio won't come on for a while. As it stands, I'll let something play, and play, and play, and eventually something will start coming through, but there's no knowing how long it will take. This is the same thing that started happening with my previous one before it finally gave up completely and wouldn't ever play. I'm not actually sure on the warranty status. I was looking for price and Prime shipping at the time, and it was a third-party seller on Amazon.com. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm less-than-thrilled that I'm having the same issue on a different generation of unit. I wanted to wait until better Atmos/DTS:X options were out there, but if I can't get this repaired without spending some bucks, I'll have to find a way into a new receiver.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters