Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 2016 Academy Awards
Adrian #417356 03/04/16 02:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Adrian
Originally Posted By fredk

Ex lab dude. What's the carbon footprint of one of those military whirleyjigs? Just sayin...

That analogy is quite ridiculous.

Yup. As ridiculous as the original assertion. Sometimes there are good reasons for flying around in things that pump lots of carbon into the air. smile

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
AAAA #417357 03/04/16 02:06 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
We are aware of it.

You are welcome here.

A real website. smile

http://cbiftrumpwins.com/#intro

We are terrified for you all down there.

Yeah, but what if The Donald loses and all his supporters want out? Yes Bob, we do need a big wall.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Lampshade #417365 03/04/16 06:09 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I actually saw some face book proposing of such measures. The wife spends most of the days on the social media. They were saying we'll need the wall if the Donald gets in.
He seems to much, Vancouver is still very old style Redneck town, and he seems to be the same 1920s racist as the ones here.

BobKay #417367 03/04/16 01:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By BobKay
And, once again, if you've been paying attention to what's going on down here, CANADA should build a wall. You cannot care WHO pays for it. It's too late for that. You gotta start now!

We have been paying attention LOL

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
real80sman #417374 03/04/16 03:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Fred, Trevor, Shawn,

Your compassion and understanding have touched me. Now that I'm old and dumpy, I don't look so good in summer clothes anyway. Like "Rhoda" said, maybe I'll "keep better" in a colder climate. I'm also certain that I will move considerably more slowly up there, so as long as I stay to the right, I shouldn't be too big a bother.

Thanks for the links. You ARE paying attention! I like when that happens.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
exlabdriver #417461 03/06/16 11:42 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Originally Posted By exlabdriver
This from a hypocrite who's 'carbon footprint' is exponentially higher than any other mere mortal on this planet, much like Gore's & Suzuki's. Do as I say, not as I do - from that elite crowd.

Is the only problem the hypocrisy, or do you also believe humans have no impact on the environment?

Lampshade #417463 03/07/16 01:27 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Presently the earth is still coming out of the end of an ice age. In another 10,000 years or so, my wonderful lush green island off the west coast (where I have grown a 20 foot palm tree) most likely will be under a hundred feet or more of ice, just like it has been in the recent (geologically) past. It is a natural cycle that will continue until our sun eventually destroys the planet.

Improvements & regulations made in pollution controls over the past decades is most welcome, after all, we don't want to crap on our own doorstep; however, humans have made only minimal impact on climate. It would be nice though, if we could stop & even decrease world population levels so that remaining resources are sustainable for a reasonable standard of living for everyone. But it seems that this will not happen as religious & cultural beliefs are not on side with this notion.

In the end, the earth is going to do what it wants to. All of the Carbon Taxes, Carbon Offsets & wealth redistribution schemes dreamed up by these hypocritical environmentalist gurus won't change a thing except to make most of our wallets lighter & a few others in the third world more wealthy.

Let's hope that when they all go to the next big climate conference in some exotic place in a foreign land - many on the taxpayers' dime - that they all walk and/or swim there to prove that they are really environmentally conscious. That way their carbon footprint will truly be minimal, unlike that last big party in Paris where a good time was had by all. Canada sent 383 delegates - more than the UK, Australia and US combined - preposterous! It's OK, just add the bill to our national debt.

Many, many tons of petroleum products were consumed (burned thus releasing nasty CO2) to make this gathering happen. Somehow I suspect that evil pipelines, tanker trains & monstrous oil tankers were involved at sometime during the process of transporting the delegates from all over the world there & back.

Hypocrisy at its finest...

TAM

Last edited by exlabdriver; 03/07/16 01:29 AM.
exlabdriver #417494 03/07/16 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By exlabdriver
humans have made only minimal impact on climate

diCaprio's hypocrisy notwithstanding, this is simply not true. The last ice age ended about 12000 years ago, but let's say you are correct that we're still emerging from the last one. Global surface and ocean temps are increasing 20x faster than the last end of an ice age. That's not insignificant and strongly points to the opposite conclusion than what I quoted above.

Sure, if you increase the scale of human impact to hundreds of thousands of years, our impact on climate is only a blip, but our lives -- and the lives of those who come after us and have to exist in the mess we're creating -- are short.

exlabdriver #417495 03/08/16 12:54 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Dude! Yuck.

Watch Merchants of doubt on Netflix.

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 03/08/16 12:58 AM. Reason: Added doc info
Lampshade #417498 03/08/16 01:27 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I came across this simple chart in another debate that looks reasonable to me. How true the data is I don't know but it is probably as good as any:

http://www.uigi.com/Temperature_swings_11000_yrs.jpg

Believe what you want & I'll stay with mine. That is the trouble with this subject. It seems that everything is based almost solely on beliefs on both sides - much like religion. The only truth in this whole fiasco is that nobody really knows what Mother Nature has in store. Our climate has continually changed ever since day one on this planet - long before humans were here - & will continue to do so until it is all over.

All of the phony, feel-good wealth redistribution schemes will not make one iota of difference in controlling climate trends; however, they will help to needlessly drain some treasuries even more to fatten others.

Having said all of that, the whole point is moot. There are dire situations that are looming on this planet - economic, political, ethnic, & religious turmoil along with over population - that will render Climate Change to be a very minor player, if at all.

I wouldn't worry about it...

TAM

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082