Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why go Anthem receiver?
MMM #417639 03/12/16 02:25 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I thought I'd put my 2 cents in as I have LFR1100v4's as well. I have had them hooked up to a mid-level Yamaha receiver for pre/pro purposes only and now a Marantz AV7701 pre/pro. The difference is very audible with the Marantz giving much more detail and range. I'm sure with a better receiver such as a NAD or Arcam the difference would not be as radical. I've had my speakers hooked up to two different amps with my big bad class A/B a clear winner over my class H. The MSRP of the A/B is more then double the class H though. Of course receiver power isn't going to work. Separate components all the way with LFR's!

MMM #417655 03/12/16 09:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
[quote=oakvillematt]If you had the choice between going component vs integrated receiver, what would you choose? [/quote

If I had the choice, and money wasn't a factor, then I could go with component for sure. Nice clean power that is independent of the processor and should reduce the cost of future upgrades.

Unfortunately, it is usually a larger investment to buy separate amps and a pre/pro. Sure, you can find "value" amps, but to get something worth being separate amps, the initial cost is a chunk more.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MMM #417659 03/12/16 11:58 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have some thoughts, questions about using more than one separate amplifier for multichannel as it concerns previous comments on this thread. I believe the amplfication channel to a VP180HP (matching center speaker for LFR1100) should be identicle to the LFR's. I have a seven channel amp hooked up in a 5.1 system with all channels in use. The amp has separate transformers for right and left but the center draws from both and I believe this is so because of the high demand on the center channel. (Could also have something to do with an odd number of channels). I've got the 3 front speaker crossovers set the same at 40Hz and wall of sound with the right material is experienced. What about the volume gain spec of an amp? Should it match any other in the system? Input/output sensitivity? Im fortunate that I have 2 seven channel amps with the same gain (31.5db) I will use in a 7.1 system in my new room in my new house.

MMM #417661 03/13/16 12:32 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I wish money was no object for me too.

From what I can glean, the AVM-60 is supposed to have an upgraded DAC over the MRX models, and I am not sure, but something about it will allow for ARC to be applied to analog input sources too.

For me, I understand that the outlay over the longer term will be much higher. I don't want to or plan to replace the unit if I can get away with it. Buy once and enjoy forever. But with electronics, who knows how well or long it will last??

The kicker for me is what to do about amplification. I have some but effectively not enough of the right type. My LFR have their own 4 channel amp. I have 2 more 2 channel amps of lesser value.

The missing piece really is the Center Channel amp.

The amp that poweres my LFRs is the ADA1000. I would love to get an ADA1250 or ADA1500 to replace that amp for the LFRs. It would make total sense to upgrade the 4 channel ADA1000 to a 5 channel to run the surrounds and center. Sadly, I don't have the $3+K to afford the larger amp.

I currently dont have any speakers for a rear channel surround. I do have a pair of Energy C3 but no real stand for them and effectively I think I will need to get a wall mount speaker for the layout of the room.

What I need to figure out is what to do about the center channel if I go pre-amp. The two smaller amps that I have aren't really that great for a main speaker such as the center channel . would be great for surrounds or better yet height ATMOS speakers.

Do I buy a monoblock amp and then I am having 3 odd amps for each speaker.. don't know if it makes a difference. Would you think that adding the center channel to my current ADA1000 now might be the better choice. Then it's already done for if/when I get the better amp for the fronts

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #417695 03/14/16 05:50 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I am on the edge of pulling the trigger to get the new unit. I do have another question for those out there.

Right now Anthem has their version of the AxiomAir (the PW800) that you can get for free with the purchase of the AVM-60 that I was looking at. I have phoned around and got several prices for the unit, and different dealers were all over the map on the prices given. The cheapest was about $500 less than the next but they were not offering the FREE PW800.

I don't know if I'd really use the portable speaker. it's one of those that you don't really know until you get one. The list price on the speaker is about $900 or the same as the Axiom. If I was paying full price, I'd get the Axiom system hands down. But as I'd be getting it for almost 1/2 the price.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #417696 03/14/16 06:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, I was told that the Paradigm free units (their AxiomAir or their amp that they are offering) were only available if paying MSRP on the Anthem receiver or pre/pro.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MMM #417698 03/14/16 06:23 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted By oakvillematt
I am on the edge of pulling the trigger to get the new unit. I do have another question for those out there.

Right now Anthem has their version of the AxiomAir (the PW800) that you can get for free with the purchase of the AVM-60 that I was looking at. I have phoned around and got several prices for the unit, and different dealers were all over the map on the prices given. The cheapest was about $500 less than the next but they were not offering the FREE PW800.

I don't know if I'd really use the portable speaker. it's one of those that you don't really know until you get one. The list price on the speaker is about $900 or the same as the Axiom. If I was paying full price, I'd get the Axiom system hands down. But as I'd be getting it for almost 1/2 the price.

Honestly there is huge value in having a portable system. I use a bluetooth speaker all the time for BBQ and parties, especially outside parties.

MMM #417713 03/15/16 12:59 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Towards the all component route or 720 Vs the 1120, wouldn't the 11 channel in the 1120 be better for isolation? With less possibility of Hum from multiple power supplies.

I agree component all the way, but it could be costly especially if you get into multiple Amps. or the 7 or 8 channel versions.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters