Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 89 of 95 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 94 95
Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
nickbuol #417950 03/20/16 03:34 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks for the tips. I will slow down a little and also mess with the adjustments a bit too (sounds like I also need to turn down the amount of air per the instructions). It was really starting to show itself as "dry" for the most part just after 30 minutes, so the amount of paint on there was probably about right, but just too fine coming out that it was, per what i was reading this morning, almost drying mid-air and thus the super fine texture.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #417953 03/20/16 08:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nick, I found that if the gun inlet pressure is too high it will actually dry the paint as it sprays. I use a pressure gauge inline that I set with the trigger wide open to about 8 psi if memory serves. Painting is a real art, balancing pressure vs tip size vs needle movement. Some texture is unavoidable, look at the paint on your car, under the clear the paint has some texture to it. Clear is about the only thing that you can put on really smooth without sanding and buffing. Since they are on the ceiling I see no reason to get real fussy, no runs is a huge bonus smile

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
nickbuol #417959 03/21/16 12:03 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I think that they are looking really good. I lightly sanded and put on the 2nd coat late this morning, and they look really good. they are still "hanging" and I waited several hour before turning the heaters on so that the Floetrol could do its thing. I connected up a few shop lights while spraying this time, and I *think* that I didn't miss anything, but I am not 100% certain.

I then spent a huge part of my day trying to use fish tape to fish some string in my theater ceiling for pulling speaker wires. WHAT A PAIN! I have to run the wires into the crown molding, which seems like a good idea, except the fact that cutting down below the line of sight so that they wires aren't visible has proven very difficult. I will be doing some touchup on the crown molding, and then one of my drill bits slipped a little bit and chewed into my LED lighting. Dang it. I will have to fix that another day. When I moved my screen wall forward a little more than a foot, I left the extra LED lights still connected, so I will just have to cut out the damaged section and solder the strip back together. Easy enough, but will still be about a 60 minute job.

So now I have 4 holes in my ceiling, and 2 in my soffit. I need to cut one more hole into the soffit, and then another hole back by the equipment rack to put the connector plate (which doesn't arrive until Wednesday).

Everything is so full of drywall dust. I hate drywall dust. SOOO much cleanup, and that was with me taking a lot of things out of the room (equipment, acoustic panels, etc) and using drop cloths. It just gets everywhere...

Well, I should get back to it. I would love to get the wires at least roughed in and if possible get the speakers in the house from the garage. I am nervous about them because of the flat paint being prone to scratches, but I think that I have a plan... Put the ports back in to the bottom and just stand them up on a clean work table in the basement. That will work until I get my "pigtails" for the speakers put together another day and then I can put them completely back together.

I also need to make my ceiling mounts yet. I have the angles sorted out, but it is always more complicated than it looks and of course the mounts WILL scuff the paint on the back. I was very temped early on to just mask off the back and then put black enamel paint on it, but oh well.

Oh, and here is a great one...

I asked my wife about a month ago about the speakers for the ceiling. When I held up one of my existing Boston Cherry ones, I asked her how it looked. She thought that I was asking about speakers on the ceiling, and I was asking about the color.

Anyway, she wasn't keen on the idea and gave me sort of a "meh" response. So I took that to mean, "no, I don't like the cherry against the dark brown ceiling" so I got paintable speakers.

I found out yesterday that she actually LIKED the Boston Cherry look. Ugh. I could have saved a lot of headaches had I just gotten more in the B.C. finish.

Oh well, it isn't worth the $120 to ship them back and swap out, so I painted them as originally planned.

Well, back at it. More dust, YAY!

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #417961 03/21/16 02:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
everything happens as it should. the paintable sounds better to me.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
nickbuol #417963 03/21/16 03:50 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I HATE DRYWALL DUST!
So dirty, and it gets EVERYWHERE...

OK, I knew that going into the running of the wires today, but even with precautions such as drop cloths under areas that I was cutting in to, it still gets everywhere.

So after putting on the second coat of paint, I decided to start on the wiring. The trouble is getting from the middle of the room, to the sides into the soffit, and then down and out of the soffit and into the area behind the crown molding.

I know, I already mentioned this before, but wow, I never expected it to be so tricky.

Anyway, there was a lot of me looking back at old construction videos and photos to figure out the best spots to try to get through the drywall. The problem is that I needed to make pretty good sized holes just to be able to get to the fish tape at various spots along the way.

So without any more details about that, I got the front 2 wires ran, and was about to tackle the rear 2 when I thought that I better see how I was doing on speaker wire... I was short a couple of feet for the longer run of the two, and there is no reason to snake the shorter one through without the longer one with it. More speaker wire is on the way, and last time it took 2 days to get here, this time it is taking 6 business days and won't get here until Wednesday (When I figured out that I would need more anyway, I ordered it thinking that it would be here before the weekend. WRONG!)

So the rear speaker wires are not run yet.

I decided that since the fronts were run that I would start round 1 of the drywall patch. I am actually really good at hiding patch work, so I know how the steps to fixing it. I basically put 2 screws into the chunk that I took out of the soffit, this is just to get a grip, and then I put silicone caulk in the seam using a fine tip so that I could get it to the inside. This stuff added just enough tension to really hold the piece in place on its own. I let it sit for about 20 minutes, and then came back and put some mud over the area. I always recess the inserted piece just a little bit since it needs to be retextured and such anyway, so it is really just there to be mass.

For the ceiling, I put a thin piece of wood on to the back of the piece of cut out drywall. I then put this up into the ceiling with a little more silicone caulk on the bottom side of the piece of wood. This does 2 things. It will hold the piece in place easier than trying to screw through the regular ceiling and into that piece of wood, and it also puts a small layer between that board and the top side of the ceiling drywall, effectively recessing the cutout piece as well. I put some silicone caulk up around that too, and then 20 minutes later, applied the first coat of mud. The idea of the first coat of mud and the silicone is more to solidify all of the pieces so that additional coats of mud are easier to apply.

After that, I decided that it would be nice to have the garage back. It had been about 8.5 hours since I finished spraying the speakers, so I carefully took them down, one by one, and checked them over in a bright light. I then removed the tape and the newspaper, and took them one by one to the basement where I attached the bottom ports so that they could stand on their own without the paint touching anything.

All in all, they turned out really good. The finished surface feels significantly smoother than the primer finish right from Axiom, and it wasn't bad at all. I am still worried a bit about the speakers getting paint "dings" due to it being flat paint and being handled. I know that the paint in the theater is pretty solid for flat paint (on the ceiling) but it has cured for a few years.

Anyway, here they are:

I am going to take a tiny brush and get the inside "vertical" edges around the speaker cutouts with a tiny bit of paint. I just want to make sure that you don't see any white at all. The inside flat surface (with the bolt holes) will stay white since it will be hidden.

I think that next on my list will be getting the speaker mounts made up. Going old school and just using wood. I will need to drill mounting holes into each speaker so that I can put some screws through before putting the woofers in. I will also be putting some counter sunk holes into the blocks of wood to toggle bolt them to the ceiling. I was looking for a pair of reasonably priced speaker mounts, but the cheaper ones get mixed reviews, and everything else seems pricey. I thought about buying another Axiom "full metal bracket" since I have 1 already, but I don't think that it will give me the extension that I need to angle my front speakers (rear speakers will have a really small angle, so they will definitely be just wood blocks.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #417971 03/21/16 03:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By nickbuol
I HATE DRYWALL DUST!
So dirty, and it gets EVERYWHERE!

Nick, for <$250, that never has to happen again. I have a 5hp, 5G vacuum. It has a bag, and that is the necessary addition. The hose diameter fits all DeWalts in all styles and I always keep a $30 Ryobi mouse as well. To get the mouse to fit tightly, I wrap it's end with a couple of rounds of duct tape.

The amount of airborne dust I would make with a 2" repair is about 95% more that I would make with a vac system. It captures so well, I have left (other people's) furniture uncovered. What it doesn't get falls to the floor in a little white line, like a line of cocaine. Seriously, that's what it looks like. Ew! Putting stuff up your nose! Ew!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #417972 03/21/16 03:13 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By BobKay
Originally Posted By nickbuol
I HATE DRYWALL DUST!
So dirty, and it gets EVERYWHERE!

Nick, for <$250, that never has to happen again. I have a 5hp, 5G vacuum. It has a bag, and that is the necessary addition. The hose diameter fits all DeWalts in all styles and I always keep a $30 Ryobi mouse as well. To get the mouse to fit tightly, I wrap it's end with a couple of rounds of duct tape.

The amount of airborne dust I would make with a 2" repair is about 95% more that I would make with a vac system. It captures so well, I have left (other people's) furniture uncovered. What it doesn't get falls to the floor in a little white line, like a line of cocaine. Seriously, that's what it looks like. Ew! Putting stuff up your nose! Ew!

Yeah, I keep thinking that I need to just put something together that provides suction at the point of the mess, but I only have a really large shop vac with a massive hose. Even if I get an attachment to make the hose easier to attach to whatever tool I am using, it still is a lot of bulk flopping around, but again, it really is probably worth it to make something work, or to buy something.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #417973 03/21/16 03:18 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
As for a speaker mount, I am 99% sure that I am going to just get another Axiom FMB for the front. I started mocking up some wood mounts, and they just look clunky. I have 1 FMB already in white and would just need a repaint to black. And since I have to drill holes in the back of the speaker anyway, I can mount the speaker on to the FMB as needed to not hit the ceiling, and yet with the FMB I get "teeth" to hold the speaker at the exact angle I want. Most of the ones online just use friction, and people talk about the speakers "drooping" because there isn't anything holding it right where you want it.

Tonight, I will have to go find the white FMB and do some tests with it to see if it really will work or not. I know that it is strong enough too as I used to use it to mount my previous VP150 to the ceiling at one point, and a wall at another location.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #417978 03/21/16 07:15 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I had to run home over lunch for something completely unrelated, but dug out the old (white) FMB and sure enough, it will do the angles I need. So I ordered a second one.

I still might add a little bit more mass to the "foot" of the bracket as I remember it starting to embed itself into the drywall when I hung the VP150 from it.

I wonder how soon it will make it here. Not that I have the speaker wire order from Monoprice, or my receiver, or even the room put back together enough to mount anything anyway... Although.... I just need the front 2 to have the FMBs, and that is where I have the wiring run and in place... Who knows. Just hard to have the theater out of commission for so long and I'm antsy to get things buttoned up.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #418005 03/23/16 04:36 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So tonight I made the "pig tails" to go on to the M3s so that I can forego the t-brackets since I am going to use Axiom FMBs for the front pair making the t-brackets not stay in place, and for the rear pair, the t-brackets would just be in the way.

I also reconnected the internal primary wires, and connected up the tweeter. The woofers won't go in until I play around a little more with the FMBs to make sure that I get the holes for the mount exactly where I want them.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 89 of 95 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020