Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
My Yamaha receiver doesn't decode audio anymore...
#418172 03/26/16 10:37 PM
Zak Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hey guys,

I could really use some help here with an audio decoding issue on my Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver.
I was watching Heat on Blu-ray last night, on my Sony BDP-S590 and noticed that my Yamaha RX-V3800 was displaying the audio track as PCM.
I figured the movie was older, and thought nothing of it.

After the move was finished I checked the case and noticed that it does have a Dolby TrueHD audio track, so I started the movie again and selected TrueHD, but my receiver still showed PCM even though I am using Straight.
I tried a bunch of other movies with DTS, DTS Master HD, Dolby Digital, TrueHD and all of them display as PCM.
I also tried my PS3 and DVD player going to the same receiver and they also show as PCM!?

If I click on Display button for Blu-ray player it confirms that track is TrueHD.
If I click on Display button for Receiver it shows track as PCM.

My receiver used to properly display the audio tracks from blu-ray exactly as they were selected.
I have not changed any settings.

Today I tried a factory reset on the Yamaha, but the problem still exists.

I have verified that all devices are bitstream.
Everything is connected via HDMI.
All firmware has been applied.

I thought it might be an issue with my HDMI cable, but how could all 4 input HDMI cables go bad at once?

Is my Yamaha screwed, or am I missing something???
Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Last edited by Zak; 03/26/16 10:42 PM.

Panasonic TC-P65V10 65" Plasma
Sony KDL-55XBR8 55" LED LCD
Yamaha RX-V3800
Axiom Epic 60 - 500 (7.1)
Re: My Yamaha receiver doesn't decode audio anymore...
Zak #418174 03/27/16 12:20 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Very strange. Usually when you have something like this happening with a soundtrack, more often than not it is a change in the source or source set-up but the fact that you have tried alternate sources with the same material, indicates that if everything is defaulting to PCM, on the surface, it seems to indicate that there is an issue with the Dolby/DTS decoding chips.

For starters, I might suggest you send an E-Mail to Yamaha H.O. under "support" and explain your problem and the troubleshooting you have done so far. I have owned several pieces of Yamaha equipment for years and except for one older unit where one of the DACs failed, I have never had an issue with any of them.

Based on my experience, they will usually get back to you in a day or two to advise what you can do and if repair is required, an authorized service depot in your area.

Incidentally, if none of that works and be that as it may, I have a Yamaha RX-A2000(Aventage series) in another room that I might be willing to part with.

Zak #418210 03/28/16 12:44 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I would not point the finger necessarily at the Yamaha.

I have a Sony blu-ray player that suddenly started sending everything as PCM too. I took the player and moved it to a different receiver and it did the exact same thing.

I happen to have a Panasonic and it works perfectly fine with both receivers. Needless to say the Sony was donated to a family in need as they could use it as is, and I needed a unit that worked.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #418216 03/28/16 03:47 PM
Zak Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted By casey01
Very strange. Usually when you have something like this happening with a soundtrack, more often than not it is a change in the source or source set-up but the fact that you have tried alternate sources with the same material, indicates that if everything is defaulting to PCM, on the surface, it seems to indicate that there is an issue with the Dolby/DTS decoding chips.

For starters, I might suggest you send an E-Mail to Yamaha H.O. under "support" and explain your problem and the troubleshooting you have done so far. I have owned several pieces of Yamaha equipment for years and except for one older unit where one of the DACs failed, I have never had an issue with any of them.

Based on my experience, they will usually get back to you in a day or two to advise what you can do and if repair is required, an authorized service depot in your area.

Incidentally, if none of that works and be that as it may, I have a Yamaha RX-A2000(Aventage series) in another room that I might be willing to part with.
Originally Posted By oakvillematt
I would not point the finger necessarily at the Yamaha.

I have a Sony blu-ray player that suddenly started sending everything as PCM too. I took the player and moved it to a different receiver and it did the exact same thing.

I happen to have a Panasonic and it works perfectly fine with both receivers. Needless to say the Sony was donated to a family in need as they could use it as is, and I needed a unit that worked.

Thanks for the replies guys!
I was literally ready to pull this unit out of my rack and order a new Anthem MRX 720, but luckily (for my wallet anyways) I tried one last bit of troubleshooting last night which has fixed the issue. grin

I unplugged the receiver's power cord from my Furman power conditioner, and then I simply pulled each HDMI cable from the receiver one-by-on and then plugged them right back into the same slot they came out of.
I also pulled the HDMI cable from my TV, and then plugged it back in.

I plugged the receiver back into the power conditioner and boom, everything is now working again!
I have no idea what may have caused this, and hopefully it doesn't come back again.

I figure something was hung or cached on the receiver, and even the factory reset didn't release it, as the receiver always had AC power.

Yamaha RX-V3800
Zak #418219 03/28/16 05:04 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I feel bad for depriving you from the luxury of ordering an Anthem MRX720 receiver. SORRY

MMM #418221 03/28/16 05:49 PM
Zak Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted By oakvillematt
I feel bad for depriving you from the luxury of ordering an Anthem MRX720 receiver. SORRY

Hahaha, thanks!
I find Yamaha receivers are kinda like Sony TV's in that they never actually stop working, and you eventually have to gift them to someone when they become obsolete.
That was the case with my prior Yamaha RX-V870.

Yamaha RX-V3800
Zak #418232 03/29/16 02:27 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I just picked up the big sibling Anthem AVM-60 and it made my speakers start to sing again like I could not seem to get with my Pioneer in the room downstairs.

And as an added bonus, the ARC room correction gives you a calibrated mic and some software to really test the room and properly calibrate the speakers. For me I found that I have a sound hole at 50hz. So now I get to play with speaker locations to see how moving them effects the sound. I think I will have to build a bass trap so I can as well test the before and after to see if it really is doing anything rather relying on ears that can be fooled far to easily.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020