Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AHHH!!! Sub Problems
#41830 04/16/04 05:22 AM
local
OP Offline
local
Well guys, I hate to say it but my sub (EP125) is giving me a headache. The problem is that I can't get the dang thing to hold a signal. I have it connected to the sub out on my Outlaw ICBM. I also tried the sub out on my receiver but no signal (or pretty little green LED) The strangest thing is that when it's connected to the ICBM and I power on the receiver for the first time, I get a red light and no sound. However, when I turn my receiver off the LED turns green. So I just turn the receiver back on and it will stay green and there's sound for a few minutes. Then the LED goes back to red and no sound again.

As you can see, I'm VERY confused. It's hard to know if it's the sub or a cable issue. I know that all the settings are correct on my DVD player and receiver because they worked fine yesterday and I haven't touched any of those. I did check the fuse, but it looked fine to me (no black). The cable I'm using is just a regular paired RCA with only one (red) RCA connected to the "IN". Nothing too out of the ordinary. Anything that you guys can come up with would really help out. Thanks.

Jason

Re: AHHH!!! Sub Problems
#41831 04/16/04 05:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hmm.. sounds ALMOST like the sub just isint getting enough bass signal to trip the auto on. my KLH sub does this sometimes. But it might be a problem on the sub,i believe someone had a problem like this a while back.

#41832 04/16/04 06:13 AM
shareholder in the making
Jason, let's eliminate the cable first. About a year ago a poster had a damaged RCA plug that was cutting out the sub intermittently with the vibrations. Take any other cable you have with an RCA plug on each end and temporarily replace it as the sub cable.

Last edited by JohnK; 04/16/04 06:16 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#41833 04/16/04 06:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Spock
Where in your system is the ICBM?
If it's between amp(s) and a receiver/processor
then you may want to try this config

1. Set all speakers to large (Receiver/Processor)
2. Left Sub Out from Outlaw to Sub
3. Set Sub to highest crossover frequency
4. Set Sub volume control to 8/10
5. Make sure that SUB is enabled in your receiver/processor
6. Set ICBM'S LFE and SUB volume controls to low
7. Fire it up - make sure sub is plugged into a good outlet
8. Adjust sub volume control on Outlaw

Enjoy the music!

trouble shooting - switch sub out from ICBM from left to right

Let us know what kind of receiver/processor you're using, maybe there are set up menu choices which will help.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 04/16/04 06:23 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#41834 04/16/04 06:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you have your ICBM between a receiver and CD/DVD player, and if you have your sub connected to the ICBM then you will only get output from your sub when you're using a source in the ICBM's signal path - in this config, you'll only get sub output when you're using the CD/DVD

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#41835 04/16/04 05:15 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Thanks for the ideas guys and keep them coming. I'll respond to your replies.

Haoleb - I think that you're onto something there. My guess is that something is wrong with the auto on in the sub. I'm going do so some tests tonight and greatly simplify things by taking the ICBM out of the loop. I'll try the sub connected to my NAD T762 and also try it connected to my old Kenwood by the speaker outs from the Kenwood. This should definately prove if the sub is working at all.

JohnK - That's was the first thing that I did, but with no luck. I wondered if using a true "sub" cable instead of just a basic pair of RCA interconnects. Really that shouldn't matter since a sub cable is just a shielded RCA cable.

2x6spds - My receiver is a NAD T762. Currently, I have the ICBM between the pre-outs and main inputs. This way it acts as universal bass management. The sub is connected to the ICBM Left sub out. I checked all the menus on the T762 set my mains to Large and the sub crossed over at 200Hz. I'll try taking the ICBM completely out of the picture and see if I get anywhere.

The only other thing that concerns me is that when I turned the T762 and the ICBM on for the first time, there was a very audible "THUD" from the sub. This same THUD happened when I turned things off. When I had the ICBM between my dvd player (Denon DVD-2200) and the T762, the THUD didn't happen. This is why I checked the fuse and made sure that it wasn't black. The fuse filament was a gray/silver color so I assume that it's ok. I could always replace it and see if the sub will work, but I still think that something is wrong with the auto on. Well wish me luck in my tests tonight. I'll give you all an update afterwards.

Thanks,
Jason

#41836 04/17/04 04:23 AM
local
OP Offline
local
Haoleb..you were correct. It seems that the sub wasn't getting enough bass to trip the auto on. Weird, but that's how it works. Guess that means that I should listen to music at louder volumes.

#41837 04/17/04 04:25 AM
And on some days, I'm glad I got the version of sub without the auto-off feature... I don't think I ever hear good things about this.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#41838 04/17/04 05:10 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I've never had a problem with my EP350 but i have read about the odd sub that seems to do this. I'm sure a little tweak in the subs electronics could fix it by lowering the sensitivity.

Spock, you could also try using a Y connector that we recently discussed. I have read about ppl using this to get a signal to both the L & R inputs which may (or may not) help to wake up the sub.
Otherwise, call Axiom.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#41839 04/17/04 05:29 AM
Jason, your latest reply didn't describe what you did or found, but if the sub isn't getting enough voltage to turn on reliably that doesn't necessarily require louder volumes. The sub output level on the receiver should be set higher(to feed the sub amp more voltage) and the level control on the sub correspondingly lower to keep the overall sub level about the same.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082