12v trigger switched power bar
#418312 04/02/16 01:24 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Sadly the powers that be at Axiom didn't think it smart to put on a 12v trigger onto their top of the line LFR DSP box. only if you buy the DSP+amp option do you get it.

Rather short sighted and I guess there is no plan to fix the issue. (Shame on Axiom)

So I need to get some form of solution. All my main amps have a 12v trigger and my Pre-Amp can turn them on and off as needed. But the DSP is left out. I know that some of the older power conditioners had outlets that could be controlled by a 12v trigger. All the ones that I could find that did are not discontinued so I am SOL to get one.

What is out that (current in a store or online to order) that will work to allow for power control by a 12v trigger. I have the DSP plus 2 small amps for the Atmos height speakers that need to be controlled.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Re: 12v trigger switched power bar
MMM #418313 04/02/16 02:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Matt I use a power bar made by woods. One of the outlets is powered all the time and senses when your receiver turns on powers up the other outlets on the power bar. Search auto sensing power strip.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #418317 04/02/16 04:04 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
If you knew it didn't have a trigger, would you have purchased it?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #418321 04/02/16 12:00 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By Mojo

The problem is not as cut and dry as that. Is having no 12v trigger a deal breaker to having incredible sound? No, but it doesn't mean that you can't complain about how short sighted Axiom has been. Why would they put a 12v trigger on the amps if they didn't think they were important? Just seems rather crazy to put it onto one item and not the other.

As far as a power bar goes. What do you run as the master for the power sense trigger? From a cable wire perspective, I have run 3 dedicated power lines (on their own breaker) for my equipment rack. I figured that I would likely have enough external power amps that could be potentially pulling upwards of 10amps power each that they would require their own dedicated plug line. At that amps pull you could not use a power bar to run them as they exceed the rating of most bars. So you are left with just the pre-amp as being the trigger device. But the Anthem runs as two high a standby power draw to trigger the switched power plugs. So you are again stuck.

MMM #418337 04/02/16 05:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The woods smart strip I have on one of my setups has an adjustable sensitivity on it for just what you are saying. In my living room I have 2 subs ,70" tv , 2 emotiva amps totaling 8 channels , bd player, air cleaner, Emotiva pre/pro xbox one, 8 port switch, all plugged into the same outlet so really 3 outlets is overkill. I have a device called a kilowatt that measure's what you actually use, I suggest anyone that is mildly curious to pick one up and see how much power they really are drawing.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #418339 04/02/16 05:26 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've been a frequent visitor to the Axiom product pages for about 2 years now. The attention to detail is very poor and when you sell online only what's the excuse? When I bought my LFR1100V4's they were actually advertising the fact that the DSP included a 12v trigger. (I'm the guy who asked them to remove that little tidbit). Do my LFR's actually weigh 4lb less per speaker than M100's? Is the impedance of the rear array 4ohm as advertised or closer to 8ohm as per the graph? How much power can the rear array handle? Back to topic. I was told by Debbie, after a discussion with Andrew, that always on won't hurt the DSP and the standby power consumption is very low. I my case I'll guess I'll find out as I have no plans to look into alternate on/off options. I'm glad I have the V4 intrductory 10 year warranty though.

MMM #418345 04/02/16 06:08 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Originally Posted By oakvillematt
Originally Posted By Mojo

The problem is not as cut and dry as that. Is having no 12v trigger a deal breaker to having incredible sound? No, but it doesn't mean that you can't complain about how short sighted Axiom has been. Why would they put a 12v trigger on the amps if they didn't think they were important? Just seems rather crazy to put it onto one item and not the other.

Trigger inputs are typically only found on devices with high-ish power consumption, like power amplifiers. Most low level devices (CD players, Blu-ray players, pre-amps, DACs) are not usually equipped with trigger inputs. We have 12V triggers on our amplifiers because they draw what we consider a significant amount of current when not in standby mode. This is not the case for our DSP which draws approximately 9W.

Andrew #418352 04/02/16 08:58 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By Andrew

Trigger inputs are typically only found on devices with high-ish power consumption, like power amplifiers. Most low level devices (CD players, Blu-ray players, pre-amps, DACs) are not usually equipped with trigger inputs. We have 12V triggers on our amplifiers because they draw what we consider a significant amount of current when not in standby mode. This is not the case for our DSP which draws approximately 9W.

The worry is not the amount of power that it draws, but is there a heating or any down side effect for leaving the unit turned on full time. This is what I would say is missing inside the manual or as a note to the customer when they purchase the LFR speakers.

I speak for myself but am sure that others out there will carry the same fear. If you spend multiple thousands of dollars on speakers, you'd not want to do things to lessen their life. A few extra sentences inside the documentation to cover these points can't hurt.

I also wonder about running them off a UPS? Lightning strikes are quite common. I have had lightning hit the house across the street from me when I was younger. I was working on my computer at the time and all was well for me with my UPS, but neighbours on the street lost their TV's and other appliances from the wonderful event. One ounce of prevention is worth thousands in mitigated loss.

Last edited by oakvillematt; 04/02/16 09:06 PM.

MMM #418357 04/02/16 09:57 PM
M
M
"I also wonder about running them off a UPS? Lightning strikes are quite common."

AFAIK, audio manufacturers don't have to provide for any surge withstand or fast transient protection inside their units - only noise suppression. I would be very surprised if Axiom provides any.

MMM #418358 04/02/16 10:07 PM
M
M
"The worry is not the amount of power that it draws, but is there a heating or any down side effect for leaving the unit turned on full time."

No doubt if you turn it off you will extend life. How much only Axiom can tell you if they've ran reliability models. Thermal stress is the biggest determinant of component life. A 10 deg C rise in temperature halves the mean time between failure of components.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616