Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Disappointed with the current round of AV units
CV #418348 04/02/16 07:03 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
This is what I did to fix my Onkyo prepro, you should try it CV because it's super easy.

Just google Onkyo fix, there is a video showing you how to bake your HDMI card in the oven. True story,it works.

https://youtu.be/WVEcGYlcztA

Last edited by SBrown; 04/02/16 07:10 PM.
MMM #418350 04/02/16 08:39 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I have had my share of different brands of systems from Harman, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, Integra. I guess they have all had their own particular sound. I have been told by too many people that you have to get an external amp to get the full potential out of your speakers. After spending too much money or more to point time trying, I have concluded that the statement is not all together true.

Back some 18 years now I purchased a Nakamichi AV1 receiver and was blown away by how much better it sounded to me. Put it down to how well built the unit was. I replaced that unit with a pretty good Yamaha but lost something in the sound. Insert many other units after and a slippey slope down hill it seems. Now that I have an Anthem, and that open clear feeling sound is back, I think it's now not really the quality of the build but the design and how the sound in processed inside.

Lets face it, a receiver (and pre-amp for that matter) has a job of taking in a signal and doing more than just controlling volume, but also pitch, treble, bass, signal voltage, alignment. All this then sent to the amp and out to our speakers. Every company has their way of doing this and produces a sound. If I change my receiver and nothing else, and can clearly to me hear a different sound out of my speakers, then how could I not conclude that the receiver is changing the sound. if everything else is constant.

Now having owned the Anthem AVM-60, I will revise my statement that started this thread. I am still a bit disappointed that more units don't support the 9.2.x Atmos format, but understand now that where the encoding of movies that are getting released, I can understand that this speaker layout would not probably take advantage of it. Looking at some of the technology advancements that are taking place, one can hope that the trickle down effect will help out some of the lower level components out there.

Having spent quite a bit of time in a number of the big box stores, i get to make two conclusions. The sales people are being fed a canned line to repeat to the customers that misses the whole point of what Atmos and DTS-X is all about. And luckily many of the customers who are buying the equipment have a brain and do their own research into the topic and actually know far more than most of the sales people on the floor. That I am glad to see.

I can't say the Anthem pre-amp will be the last processor I buy, but I know if it stays working then there will be very little reason to replace it unless another component fails and requires a change to make it work. I have found my sound nirvana now.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
CV #418371 04/03/16 12:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
CV check out THIS thread it would seem you may well be eligible.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
SBrown #418375 04/03/16 01:26 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Originally Posted By SBrown
This is what I did to fix my Onkyo prepro, you should try it CV because it's super easy.

Just google Onkyo fix, there is a video showing you how to bake your HDMI card in the oven. True story,it works.

https://youtu.be/WVEcGYlcztA

If it comes to that, I think I'll have my cousin try. He's much braver with these kinds of fixes.

Gr8_White_North #418376 04/03/16 01:27 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Originally Posted By Socketman
CV check out THIS thread it would seem you may well be eligible.

I went to the Onkyo page and entered my unit's serial number, but it says the unit with that serial number doesn't need the update. Hopefully Onkyo emails back soon. If I permanently lose the audio, I'll call them.

MMM #418416 04/06/16 12:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Doesn't Marantz make a 9.2 Atmos unit?

I use an external amp for front LR speakers... an Integra M504. Most AVRs run out of gas all channels driven.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
CV #418981 05/08/16 07:32 AM
C
CV Offline
C
The audio portion did seem to die completely, so right now I'm just using the receiver as a video switcher, and I'm using the analog audio outputs from my PC's motherboard to the Axiom amps. The sound is fine enough for now, so at least I don't have to be in a giant rush to get a new unit. But I'll have to start budgeting to ensure it happens at some point. I haven't tried to watch a Blu-ray on my PC for quite a while, and never without bitstreamed audio, so we'll see how that works.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters