Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Limited Edition
DrStrangeQuark #413035 06/25/15 08:03 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

TAM - Thanks! Both sound great! I would really enjoy joining in, although don't think that circumstances will allow.

Nick: Can't be belle of the ball forever! grin

DrStrangeQuark #413161 07/02/15 01:30 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

cool WooHoo!

The Marantz SR7008 came a week ago from Accessories 4 Less. Great deal on the refurb, and I would not be able to tell it apart from new stock. Of course, I haven't been able to test it out yet, but that should be changing shortly!

I'll be running the m80s + ep500s in stereo in my office for the time being. After a year+ on layaway / installments, I'm very very excited.

6 packages, 246 lbs. crazy

DrStrangeQuark #413164 07/02/15 10:24 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
That's awesome, Doc! I remember MY excitement, and your system is well beyond mine!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
DrStrangeQuark #413184 07/03/15 01:30 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Uh oh! grin progress halted. wink Very cool feeling.

DrStrangeQuark #413196 07/03/15 07:04 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Cleared customs in Memphis!

Wife's really pressuring me to devote more time to finishing the theater. Keeps trying to increase the budget. You know, normal spouse stuff grin

DrStrangeQuark #413242 07/06/15 11:02 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Wow, wow, wow.

The m80's are out of this world. The m2's also sound great, but the m80s are a different category. I haven't been able to get the subs to run yet, with music. That was OK though ... we enjoyed being astonished by the bass of the towers with no assist for the time being. Comparison of m80s with / without sub and m2's with/without sub will come later. Also will plan on some comparisons to our existing Mirage FRX-1 bookshelves, which have been our main set of speakers for ~15 years.

For now, the Mirage have a bit more bass than the m2s, but the m2s have quite a bit more resolution and separation of the instruments. The m80s are radically set apart from both of the bookshelves by their fullness. Although we both enjoyed both sets of bookshelves, against the m80s it isn't even a fair comparison. It will be interesting later though to compare the bookshelves + sub to the m80s.

All in all, couldn't be happier with the first listen of the m80s. Its hard to imagine what else they could do. First track was Dreamline, by Rush, off Roll The Bones. Then we went through most of Bela Fleck's Tales From the Acoustic Planet. Absolutely wonderful acoustic bass on that disc by Edgar Meyer, and the m80s delivered it with authority. Everything was absolutely tight, resolved, well balanced. We both heard many new subtleties that had escaped attention previously. The "fingers on the strings" element was heightened beyond anything I'd heard before.

Thanks Ian & Andrew!

More later, especially once we can figure out the sub situation ... smile

DrStrangeQuark #418885 04/30/16 01:58 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Hi All -- Sorry to have been out of touch for so long. Work got really busy, for one thing, and what time I had for this sort of thing got aimed at finishing the theater up. I'm super pleased to say, that after just about 3 years of effort, the theater is now just about done! Still to do: cover the bass absorbers in fabric and install, sew and install the screen curtain, finish wiring the LEDs for the shelves, finish welding the equipment rack and surround/height ceiling hangers. Then, it will be time to load the collectibles up onto the shelves.

We're already "moved in" and are watching movies now, though. The very first "movie" was Baby Einstein: Baby Newton, the choice of our special needs boy. The first full movie was Pirates II. The mains (m80) and center (vp180), plus the subs (2xep500) are working and sound GREAT. The subs literally shake the chairs -- very impressive for a sealed box! And the bass is absolutely controlled and articulate. Amazing.

Also to-do is a projector upgrade. Right now we have a hand-me-down benQ 480 line pj (coming up on 20 years old) from my Dad. It served well, but can't compete with modern solutions. Worse, we are down-converting blu-rays to 480 and sending over hdmi (the only connection run to the pj) which is then is being transcoded to analog vga (the old benQ has no digital inputs) by a $10 plug adapter. The combination of an old pj, old bulb, rather dark film, and low-end transcode made for a pretty dingy picture. My plan is to pick up a Sony vpl-hw40es. The 45es has now been announced, so I'm watching to see how things shake out -- I doubt the 45 is more than an incremental step up, but maybe some deals on the 40 will surface. The first movie with the new PJ (and perhaps the surrounds) will be Episode IV.

Another note, since it has been some time since my last post: I had asked questions on the forum here a while back (which Ian was kind enough to address personally) about the role of the woofer cones in the m80, and had some concern that they were working over what seemed (naively) to be a narrow/limited frequency range. In a nutshell, it was the old question of whether the capabilities of a near full-range tower were irrelevant when good subs were also in the mix. Having some experience now with the speakers let me give some additional feedback on the issue. The woofers on the m80s have *plenty* to do, and are absolutely not sitting on their hands, getting lost between the sub and the midranges. They are absolutely pounding, and are very essential and effective contributors to the sound mix. The m80s are indeed enhanced by the presence of subs. But, in my opinion, the full range towers are by no means a redundancy when the subs are added. They have a fullness (even with the subs in both cases) that the bookshelves don't match.

Anyway, here are some pics of the progress. Hopefully I can find some time this summer to do a full writeup of the whole construction process. Sorry to say, I'll Probably still have a rather limited presence on the forums, as I just don't have the time. In any event, it is great to "see" you all again, and my very best wishes to you and those you love!

The Theater:

Reverse View:

Wall Panel:

LEDs on Stairs, before carpet install:

DrStrangeQuark #418891 04/30/16 11:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Very nice. Lots of well worth it!

See Mojo's signature
DrStrangeQuark #418899 05/02/16 12:18 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Looks Awesome Doc.
I find the same with my M80s they can handle most any thing probably down to 30Hz and a Ep500 or two is icing on the cake.
I've got 1 and man can it pound shockingly well.

brendo #418902 05/02/16 02:16 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted By EFalardeau
Very nice. Lots of well worth it!
Thanks wink

Originally Posted By brendo

I find the same with my M80s they can handle most any thing probably down to 30Hz and a Ep500 or two is icing on the cake.
I've got 1 and man can it pound shockingly well.

Right-O! Also, turns out I've maybe never *really* experienced soundstage before. Too Awesome! Cheers--

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters