Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recommend A Fridge
#419329 06/05/16 11:49 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I am moving into a new house in 20 days and I really want a new fridge. Since Axiom doesn't make any I will ask the family here to help me make an informed choice.

Must haves.
Stainless
2 Doors
Freezer Location ? suggest
ice maker/filtered water

Now I am brand agnostic so I would like to hear from anyone who had a bad experience with a particular brand. There are so darn many to choose from I would really like to know what is important as far a longevity is concerned. My parents bought a fridge and the paddle for the water dispenser broke and it was stupid expensive to fix since just the paddle could not be replaced. I have seen stainless fridges from 1500 on up to 4grand , I don't want to cheap out I know its better to go all in but I can only afford to go so far in LOL. I am thinkin 2500 to 3g tops.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Re: Recommend A Fridge
Gr8_White_North #419331 06/06/16 02:50 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
We bought a 'Samsung' (27 or 28 cu ft if I remember correctly) about 4 years ago that would fill all of your requirements. Two upper doors (one with water/ice) with a pull out freezer drawer below. It was around 2 grand at that time.

Like anything, it isn't perfect ergonomically but it has worked flawlessly for us. It looks really impressive & classy in SS, although SS is a PITA to keep looking clean...

TAM

exlabdriver #419334 06/06/16 05:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Richard, I had a side by side, big-as-they-get Samsung. It was the best fridge I ever had. It kept an even temp throughout the entire box. It had nice features. On its 3rd birthday the fridge side stopped functioning. The motherboard had died.

When the repairman walked into the kitchen, he groaned and said "Korean." Then, "At least it's not an LG." He said the part would take two weeks. Other brands he said took a day or two. Ten weeks, and a bunch of phone calls later (Samsung does not take individual customer calls, or didn't 5 years ago), we threw it away. Same with our "top pick" LG vacuum. No parts available.

I looked to see what brand had the fewest amount of repairs at the time. It was Whirlpool. I hate it. It freezes foods up against some walls, doesn't have great lighting, etc. It has been fine, otherwise so far. It was not expensive.

I've been told that there aren't 20-year fridges, or even 10-year fridges anymore. 5-7 years, with one repair ea., avg. People get rid of them when the 2nd repair pops up shortly thereafter. After being told that by more than one kitchen designer, I'm not going for any bells or whistles.

BTW, I always really liked Amana, but I hear they're not what they were, either. Just ask if there will be parts readily available for whatever you choose.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Gr8_White_North #419335 06/06/16 06:08 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
We bought ours at Sears. I must admit that I don't expect our unit to last more than 7 years or so. It's just the way that it is these days - planned obsolescence.

Our friends have the exact same Samsung model as ours bought about 6 months before ours. So far, it has been running without problems as well...

TAM

Gr8_White_North #419337 06/06/16 07:24 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I did some research as well on wikipedia and really there are only a few fridge makers that pump out different brand names. I was leaning toward Samsung a bit but I will have to keep researching for a bit. My parents have a Kenmore and its 12yrs old and still goin strong but I do recall the water dispenser causing trouble and it was expensive. I am kinda torn now since it seems to be the features I want are what gives the most problems. Its a real roll of the dice it seems. Thanks for the input so far ,good to know.

Interesting site,

http://www.aol.com/article/2009/09/14/ke...daire/19160707/

Last edited by Socketman; 06/06/16 07:33 PM.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #419339 06/06/16 07:56 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
They're all junk, just at different price points. Heck, a buddy's 8k sub zero is broke more than not broken.

I bought a LG 4 years ago, and it's been working fine. It's a side by side SS model with the bottom freezer. I do like that configuration. I would rather have the two drawer freezer than my single. I did have to buy a replacement ice maker for it last winter though. Wasn't hard to get parts for it. There are several on line appliance parts stores. I think finding parts is pretty simple any more. Just not at the stores.

I would suggest you get one that has an ice maker that is simple and cheap to replace, because all of them are prone to failure.

Gr8_White_North #419344 06/07/16 02:09 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks Michael, I own 2 lg tvs and one is 8yrs old and I had to replace a board in it but it was easy to do and not real expensive and another LG tv that is 5yrs old and it works great. My panisonic tv got lines in it so I gave it to my kid and bought another LG 70" led so maybe I should stay with LG. And yeah I think its just luck of the draw really.

BTW do you think a bottom drawer is better than SxS .

Last edited by Socketman; 06/07/16 02:09 AM.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #419345 06/07/16 10:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We've got a Frigidaire Gallery refer and love everything but the ice dispenser - the one thing you can't test in the store. Sometimes you get the right amount, sometime you wait and wait, and sometimes you get what seems like the entire bin. But, stainless door panels, grey painted sides (so magnets actually stick! - actually they stick to the fronts, too...) but for a grand, almost disposable compared to our last Kitchen Aid. So far 3.5 years in ad no trouble.

Scott

My HT
Gr8_White_North #419347 06/07/16 03:45 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Mine has the twin S x S upper doors and one large lower freezer door. I would rather have two smaller, bottom freezer doors. That is a newer option that wasn't readily available when I bought mine. Mine does have a plastic second drawer in the freezer, but it doesn’t hold much.

Totally agree with Scott on the ice dispenser. Fortunately, mine dispenses pretty good.

Gr8_White_North #419349 06/07/16 07:34 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks micheal, I will see what is available to view around town but given the vast range of choices and this is such a small town I don't think there will be a whole lot to view.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020