C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I'm looking at getting some headphones so I can listen to music while I'm out riding my bicycle, as well as when I'm running... though admittedly that happens much, much less often. I don't ride on unpopulated paths, so I don't like the idea of the sound drowning out the sounds around me. Which has me looking at these:

KSCAT Bone Conduction IPX6 Waterproof Wireless Titanium Open-ear Bluetooth Stereo Headphones

The feature list seems to hit the major points I'm looking for, but I'm hesitant mainly because it's not a brand I'm familiar with. It seems the sound quality is less-than-stellar, but that's something I'm willing to trade for awareness of my surroundings. Have any of you tried headphones along these lines? Am I overblowing my fear of more traditional headphones keeping me from hearing what's around me? Curious to hear what you're using, and how you like them. Thanks for any enlightenment you can hit me over the head with.

Re: Headphones for cycling/running
CV #419474 06/17/16 11:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have Sennheiser MM 450-X (about 250$US on amazon.com).
Great sound, light and if you don't engage the noiseguard feature, you still hear a lot of what's going on around you.
If you are travelling or on a bus, turn you can turn on the noise cancelling and be happy in your own little world.

My old pair of PXC310BT are still working after something like 6+ years so build quality is there (that pair is now used by a teenage girl).

On similar topic since you might go bluetooth. After trying many, MANY analog-blutooth adapters, I found one that works very, very well (sound never cuts and it is CD-quality and + depending on receiver headphones). Mine only does 1 stream, but this looks like a newer model.
https://www.amazon.com/KOKKIA-iSPLITTER-...oth+transmitter

Last edited by EFalardeau; 06/17/16 11:19 AM. Reason: add "don't" before "engage"

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #419499 06/19/16 12:59 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the reply, Eric. I do have some brand loyalty to Sennheiser since they were my first foray into higher-end headphones. The next pair I get for sound quality purposes may be Sennheiser again.

I think I'm still drawn to bone conducting for cycling, though I think I'll go with the more prominent brand in this space, as opposed to the ones I linked to in the original post.

AfterShokz TREKZ Titanium Open-ear Bluetooth Headphones

Then I can be the guinea pig for the message board and report back on the experience. I imagine I'll get them sometime next month.

CV #419635 06/29/16 04:38 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I put the little bit of Amazon.com credit I got from the Apple eBook settlement toward the AfterShokz TREKZ Titaniums. I've only taken them out on a couple of short rides so far, but I'm impressed. I do feel like I can still hear what's going on around me, and the sound quality, while not audiophile, is pretty respectable.

I'll have to practice using the multifunction button to do everything I'm supposed to be able to do. I called my dad while wearing them, too, and he seemed to be able to understand me all right.

While I'm not afraid of them falling off, I'm wondering how much the sound would change without my glasses in the way. It feels like they want to hug my face a little more. I'll have to experiment with that. Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more to say after I have a little more time with them.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,478
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044