Re: mOre news about Vynils,, bbig news!
brendo #419548 06/24/16 02:33 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By brendo
An Mp3 and C.D. is basically putting carpets over your speakers.
Even my C.D.s don't have the same dynamics as the same records,
Have been listening to my new Fluance RT81 for a couple weeks and wow does it ever out perform all my sony C.D. players and DACs

P.S. Be sure to clean your records and you won't have any hisses or crackles or even snaps.

That is pure and utter crap. if you are so convinced that an analog pressed vinyl record has more dynamic range than a CD, then please provide me with the science to back up that statement.

For those who don't know: In music, dynamic range is the difference between the quietest and loudest volume of an instrument, part or piece of music. it is stated in db.
A pressed vinyl record has about 65db of dynamic range as there is background noise from surface friction from the stylus along the pressed surface, and peak output is limited by the stylus ability to stay inside the grove. Now the frequency response of an analog record is much wider than the human ear can perceive, going up as high as 120khz. However, the LP cannot reproduce bass lower than the 20hz.

By comparison, digital media has a much broader dynamic range as there is zero interaction with the physical media it is recorded on. Sadly there are many misconceptions about digital playback and how accurate the sound is.

In a studio for the longest time, the recodings were done on a reel to reel tape recorded in analog. These tapes have embedded particles of metal that will hold a magnetic charge that holds a sound level. As each of these particles are not infinitesimally small, so the sound recorded is only as accurate as the size of each particle in relation to the speed of which the tape passes over the recording head.
In digital, the sound is sliced into micro-sized level sampled over a period of time. It works out to be as accurate as the reel to reel tapes in the number of samples compared to the number of particles on tape when recording.

What you are experiencing is your own perceived opinion that vinyl sounds better than CD. Just like you have stated that you prefer vacuum tube over solid state amplification. It does not mean that it is better or more accurate, but just that you like the sound it produces better.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
bbigwyrs #419550 06/24/16 07:02 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Shame on you Brendo. You have diverged from the common core of acceptable truths and the expression of opinions acceptable on this website.

Permit me to provide you with a refresh so you will not subject to insults, mockery or audio gulag.

1. All solid state amplifiers (well designed) sound the same.

2. All 'well designed' solid state amplifiers sound better than tube amplifiers.

3. Compact Disc format recordings are perfect to the source since the music is perfectly reduced to 1's and 0's, and what could be more musical than that?

4. Vinyl is an imperfect media for music reproduction as the wave form, which does not require translation into 1's and 0's, may be rolled off at the top and bottom of the frequency range.

5. All speaker wire, interconnects sound the same as long as the gauge is large enough.

6. If you have personal experience with any event which contradicts any of these truths, you must not post such an observation on this website, as we are the beneficiaries of settled truths, and anyone who disagrees is subject to accussations of witch doctory, voodoo possession and foolish superstition.

7. You must ignore the frequency graphs of superb phono cartridges.

8. If you feel you are being seduced by the sweet reproduction of beautiful music from a vinyl disc, or a tube amplifier, you should stick the index finger of each hand into the ear in chiral harmony with your hand and recite the above mantra.

9. If you continue to express unacceptable opinions, you will have disturbed the near total silence of this website, you will arouse a momentary expression of anger, contempt and insult, and as soon as you cease your heresy, this site will return to its position of repose ... that is morbidity interrupted by an occasional post of the following acceptable content:

1. My EP600 hums.

2. Should I buy M80s for my 10' x 8' den?

3. How do I connect the wires to my receiver?

and of course

4. I listened to ________________CD last night.

5. I saw _____________ perform last night.

Be instructed.

Be happy.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 06/24/16 07:04 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
bbigwyrs #419552 06/24/16 02:02 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
i am sorry if i came across as someone objecting to comments like they stepped on a sacred cow.

I do believe that vinyl does sound different than CD, and MP3 can butcher a perfectly good recording. What i wanted to get across was that just because vinyl is analog and has been used for many years with its distinct sound, doesn't mean that it has more dynamic range. Had it been said that he got a far better listening experience from listening to an analog recording on vinyl with his new Fluance RT81 stylus, then all would be fine. Nobody can tell you what you like or dislike.

It is a personal cringe moment for me. Like when they try and advertise the new TVs that do HDR. You cannot demonstrate what HDR will look like or how it will improve picture quality unless you show it on a TV that has HDR.

bbigwyrs #419553 06/24/16 04:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's cool MatMan, let a thousand flowers bloom!

My post was directed at the attitudes of some of the most prolific posters, a chorus of the faithful, who I believe have killed this site.

This is a site which does not welcome those who express favorable opinions or report favorably about the sound quality of tube equipment, vinyl, speaker wire, interconnects, or anything between the outlet and rear of a device.

If someone reports they have heard superior sound quality from any of these technologies, the faithful chorus informs them they have only imagined such an improvement and provide all the 'scientific' reasons why the reporter was wrong.

Enjoy the music, Mat

Last edited by 2x6spds; 06/24/16 05:04 PM.

bbigwyrs #419554 06/24/16 06:20 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I will admit that I am a bit of a sceptic when it comes to interconnects and how much they improve the sound. I won't say they cannot, but will fall into more of the category of point of diminishing returns. I would believe that a cheap wire with imperfect connectors on it with inadequate shielding will have and adverse effect on the sound. But more than likely my hearing is shot enough and my brain rattled that I cannot perceive the nuances that change between one cable and another. it also can be the case of the sum of all parts are held back by the weakest link, and that might not be the interconnect, but a combination of other parts not setup correctly that make any improvement inaudible.

Your point is well taken. Enjoy the music. I know that many can get so wound up with trying to achieve perfection that they never really get to enjoy what they have in the hear and now.

bbigwyrs #419555 06/24/16 07:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well said!

I was a skeptic about speaker wires and used heavy gauge home depot copper cabling ... still do on some of my systems. Then I picked up some Mapleshade clearview double helix gold plus weird wires. My goodness, but after a short time, I realized my favorite 5 wpc SET tube system withvAxiom M3s sounded world class. I experienced the glorious 'wall of sound'! The system sounded very good before, but was definitely elevated by the weird wires.

I spoke with Mapleshade's designer, Pierre Sprey, a very interesting man who helped desigb the F-16 and A-10, and asked for a recommendation for interconnects. He said the upgraded power cord from the source would make more of a difference. Although that was a head scratcher, I figure that down the road I'll give that a try.

2x6spds #419558 06/24/16 10:46 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
I had said that before 2x6 about the power cords, both me and the wife heard a difference from the Oppo. I got shot down so fast and hard that I was almost embarrassed to say another word.
I am glad that you have found your music nirvana.

bbigwyrs #419560 06/25/16 12:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes Mr. Brown, you were silenced and perhaps run off by the faithful.

They have made this a very unwelcoming site, inimical to open discussion of audio issues. It really is a shame, and in my opinion, has harmed Axiom Audio products' reputation in general.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 06/25/16 12:06 AM.

SBrown #419564 06/25/16 12:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What upgrade power cord did you use?

BTW, audio nirvana ... an ongoing, never ending pursuit!

Last edited by 2x6spds; 06/25/16 01:01 AM.

2x6spds #419565 06/25/16 01:55 AM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
I have a few, but I won't post on this forum .....well. You know why, and then they say you aren't helpful. Good grief

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters