Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Traveling to Montreal in a few days, what to see?
nickbuol #419748 07/09/16 06:17 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
We had a VERY late start this morning (oh, wait, YESTERDAY morning) driving from Sarnia, ON to Niagara Falls. Hit up the Canada side for a while, then walked across the Rainbow Bridge to the Canada side for a whole $0.50 a person. Quick and easy. Did the Cave of the Winds and got soaked, and started back to Canada. There ended up being a massive line extending out on to the bridge to get through customs which really slowed us down on our departure. Just got out between the lighting of the falls and the fireworks. Made it to Napanee for our hotel stay at about 1:30am.

It is now 2:15am and we head out to Montreal in the morning. Just over 3 hours of driving to get to where we want to be for the day. Hopefully we will get out of the hotel by 10am like we planned to before Niagara Falls, but I'm not holding my breath. I predict 11:30 departure. LOL

I am not 100% sure where we will end up for poutine, and I've already told my wife and daughter that it "isn't the most amazing thing, but you have to try it when in Canada."

Sorry, but that is what we are resorting to for "Canadian" food.
We did stop at a Harvey's for lunch, and there are Tim Horton's everywhere, but I am not sure if we will hit any other popular food place that seems specific to Canada while we are here for the remainder of our stay. If we weren't always rushing from one place to another, we could try to take in something a little better.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: Traveling to Montreal in a few days, what to see?
nickbuol #419754 07/10/16 02:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Avril Lavigne is from Napanee, if you are interested.

Anyways, back to food...

You should get some Montreal Smoked Meat into you before you go home.

https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc=Smoked+Meat&find_loc=Montr%C3%A9al%2C+QC

Not sure what the current state of the bagel wars is, but the last time I paid attention the border traffic seemed to be evenly split between Canadians driving to NYC for bagels and New Yorkers driving to Montreal for bagels.

Try to find a restaurant serving traditional Quebec cuisine - it's been too long since I've been there but at minimum they do interesting things with pork & maple syrup.

Stop in a St-Hubert for chicken... like Swiss Chalet but better... it was a sad day for Ontario when St Hubert closed down here, and a sad day for Quebec when Swiss Chalet's parent bought St Hubert.

Nanaimo bars... Mr. Submarine... maple syrup pie or sugar pie... Coffee Crisp chocolate bars... Kinder Eggs are illegal in the US if you want to live dangerously...

... if you're into cheese the Eastern Townships (south-east of Montreal) are one of the few places where young, raw-milk cheeses are still sold (look for "route des fromages"...

... Unibroue (one of the early successful microbreweries) is about 15 miles out of Montreal and have been making really good Belgian beers for 25+ years... but they don't seem to have tours so never mind...

... and of course pick up a bottle of Screech before you leave, and have some more poutine smile

Apparently Canada consumes more Kraft Dinner per capita than any other country in the world, but we're not proud of that.

Last edited by bridgman; 07/10/16 02:21 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (spiroh), 368 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup