Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Who Killed This Website?
2x6spds #420355 09/18/16 12:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I believe in summer, the traffic here always slows down. The Cad$ has crapped out for a while now and has put this guy's upgraditis on hold for now so I don't really have too much in the way of questions or comments on the forums.
Generally speaking, I believe there is a great deal of respect here for various brands and differing beliefs. Some people simply choose to be offended.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Gr8_White_North #420358 09/18/16 01:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Socketman
Well I agree RC is a great tool, it works better in with a treated room , which requires a lot less correction. All rooms need a certain amount of absorptive and diffuse objects . Radical cuts and boosts by the RC can be harmful and cause their own problems.

I agree 100%. Audyssey in my room when I just had basic acoustical treatments just on the front wall was good, when I put treatments on my side walls and rear walls, it was a lot better. Now with Anthem ARC it is utterly amazing.

The less that the room correction software has to do to "correct" your room, the better it will sound, and not just at the MLP, but across more/all seats.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
2x6spds #420364 09/18/16 05:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Question though... I understand that room correction software can help with frequency response and potentially reduce requirement for things like bass trapping and blowing out one of Mark's living room walls to make it non-square, but is it sufficiently sophisticated these days to deal with things like overly reflective rooms ?

Not asking about whether it is possible to model & cancel reflected energy (I know that can be done) but aren't you going to need more than two speakers to do that well enough to fix things at a specific listening position ?

Or is the idea that "you can fix anything at the point where the mic was placed (hopefully the listening position) even if you can't fix it everywhere" ?

Reason I'm asking is that most of the treatment-tweaking I do is to fix/improve more nuanced things than frequency response. I guess imaging/soundstage is the closest term I can think of... not just "are sounds placed correctly" but "does the position seem sufficiently precise", "does one side of the soundstage seem more clear than the other" etc...

These things bother me more than frequency response, which may be odd or may be normal, not sure smile

Quote:
1 registered (bridgman), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.

Maybe the spiders scared the registered users away ? Some people are funny about spiders, especially after a lifetime of Spiderman comics & movies.

Last edited by bridgman; 09/18/16 05:48 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
2x6spds #420370 09/19/16 12:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As both Nick and I have said the more you do before RC the better the end result. I use Dirac Live and you can run it for a single seating situation such as for a 2 channel setup or for a movie theater situation. My Emotiva pre/pro only stores one calibration which is disappointing. Emotiva will be adding Dirac Unison soon to the XMC-1 as well. As I have never used Anthems software I don't know how it works but Dirac does a lot more than just frequency response. Honestly a lot of what it does is outside my expertise but I do like the results. If you really want to get down and dirty I feel you need to start with something like REW (Room EQ Wizard) and a good calibrated mike and get the room as good as you possible can then run your RC. I did a lot of this when I lived in the rental house I was in but I have recently purchased a house and there are so many other things that need my attention I have not gotten around to anything HT except setting things in place. Winter is coming so I am sure my attention will turn to indoor activities soon enough. Oh an DAMN owning a house is XPENSIVE. LOL

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
2x6spds #420371 09/19/16 05:44 AM
aficionado
aficionado
If you can treat the negative effects of your room pre Eq. calibration, I.e. big reflective windows or large reverb spots. any software should make a drastic improvement over the negative feed back you've already prevented.

I was always under the impression myself, that the purpose of these forums was for us owners to share our setups and compare. Regardless of choice of medium. Whether C.D., Cassette, Blueray, D.V.D. Lps. Tube. Solid state or whatever. With the hopes of helping each other and at least comparing our findings and discussing our opinions. As we are all entitled to our own opinions.

To which I have learned a lot from this site in my few years of participation. How to make my own panels and treat my room proper setup and a whole lot more. This forum has all kinds of different info scientific or not.

Thank you to all that have helped along my journey

medic8r #420436 09/24/16 02:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By medic8r
... I joined Facebook in 2008 and the transition began...

Curse you Facebook!

I'll get you next time...
Quote:

Yes, I admit to the existence of the cabal - it's just that we don't discuss cables and vinyl at our meetings - just beer and bacon. Have a good one, everybody.

I miss the bacon posts. Feel free to come here and share share the cabal's plan for world bacon domination any time. Still don't much like beer.

I do wish this site had more traffic, but it appears that the older members have lagely moved on and there are not many coming in to take their place.

Keep posting Nick.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
exlabdriver #420437 09/24/16 02:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By exlabdriver
Looking at other AV sites that I peruse daily, there seems to be an overall drop in posting traffic. Perhaps it is the younger generations that are not as much into this pastime as I was...

TAM

I was wondering about traffic on the big AV sites. I think that the post 2008 reality is that there is less disposable income around for things like audio.

The younger generation in my house has as much of a passion for music as I, but does not care so much about fidelity. They are also busy hanging out with the rest of their generation trying out new micro breweries and such. Life goes on.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #420438 09/24/16 03:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By fredk
The younger generation in my house has as much of a passion for music as I, but does not care so much about fidelity.

Yeah... it's hard to develop a taste for fidelity when most of your listening experience involves ear buds. We thought AM radio was bad...

I wonder how much of this is related to affordability of housing and kids staying at home much longer. I had moved out by the time I was 16 (back then a part-time job on weekends was enough to cover rent/food, summer job paid for tuition) and between the five of us renting a house we had a pretty impressive sound system (including a floating concrete pad for the turntable), 2000+ LPs with surprisingly little duplication, and nobody telling us to "turn it down".

The kids I know who are as much into music and sound as our generation seem to be the ones whose parents built an HT, didn't have time to use it, and essentially turned it over to their kids as the local hangout. "At least I know where they are" was the common sentiment...

Originally Posted By fredk
They are also busy hanging out with the rest of their generation trying out new micro breweries and such. Life goes on.

OK, so not a total loss then smile

Last edited by bridgman; 09/24/16 03:34 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
2x6spds #420456 09/25/16 12:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Could also be that the HT industry in general was moving by leaps and bounds years ago compared to today, and many of the people jumped into it at that time and won't be upgrading for a little while.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
2x6spds #420459 09/25/16 02:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yep, that's certainly part of it.

Anyone who bought a good system 10 years ago is probably still very happy with it today; I know I am.

I had planned to upgrade my projector once the bulb burned out in a few years, but it happened (or so I thought) earlier than expected so I bought a replacement bulb instead. Turned out to be a thermal cutoff tripped by overheating after a power outage... took the projector apart, reset the switch, everything fine and now I have two bulbs.

I may be watching BluRays at 720p until I'm well into my 60s frown

Last edited by bridgman; 09/25/16 02:39 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617