Re: Axiom LFR DSP+ADA1000 amp random noise problem
MMM #420647 10/07/16 09:13 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
The problem is harder than that. if it was failing or making the noise on a consistent basis then you have something to go on. Right now it has made this awful racket 3 times. Once at 3am and by the time it woke everyone up and I got downstairs and thought it was the subs, so went to turn them off and the deep rumbling sound stopped. OK. So l left them turned off.

About 5 days later it happened again when I was not home and my wife told me about it. said it lasted for about 15-20 minutes.

Then it happened when I was home about 3 weeks after and I turned off the DSP and the problem stopped.

Now, do I leave everything turned on and hope that it makes the noice when I am around and not sleeping in the hopes of figuring if I pull the leads from the preamp and it stopes that I now have to deal with Anthem to see why the Preamp is doing this only for them to point the finger back at Axiom. Or just turn the unit off when I am not using it and solve the issue that way?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #420649 10/07/16 11:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Sadly in the detail of your warranties that your probably better of using if possible. You'll probably need to show the wife how to disconnect them in order to help find out what the source of the problem is.

Mine especially dislikes dealing with the connections for fear of doing something wrong.

MMM #420650 10/08/16 12:23 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
The thing is, this is now a defect but it may manifest itself into a failure in the future. Depending on what that failure is, you may be even more screwed than you are now. For all you know, whatever is going bad, may take out whatever is good with it!

It's a crappy situation. I've learned to buy only what I need, test the shit out of everything I buy and trust my instincts about what I keep and what I don't. In fact, I barely buy anything anymore because I am continuously disappointed and don't want to spend my time testing for others.

MMM #420656 10/08/16 02:29 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Originally Posted By MatManBobbleHead
The problem is harder than that. if it was failing or making the noise on a consistent basis then you have something to go on. Right now it has made this awful racket 3 times. Once at 3am and by the time it woke everyone up and I got downstairs and thought it was the subs, so went to turn them off and the deep rumbling sound stopped. OK. So l left them turned off.

Mat, are you stating above that when you heard this noise and turned off your subs, the rumbling sound stopped? If so this has nothing to do with the DSP as I am assuming your subs are driven directly from line level sub outputs on your Anthem. If that's not the case and you are insistent that the DSP is the issue, get in touch with Debbie to send it in and I'll replace the internal parts. The reason we have asked to have the Anthem removed from the equation is that when you turned off the DSP and the noise stopped it could simply have been due to no longer feeding the pre-amp signal to the DSP. The DSP has muting circuitry which grounds the outputs when turned off, shorting the inputs to the amplifier channels. One thing everyone needs to remember is that Axiom stands behind their products more than pretty much any audio manufacturer out there. If you have a problem in the future, even if something is out of warranty it usually ends up being repaired for little to no cost.

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew; 10/09/16 01:27 PM.
MMM #420661 10/08/16 06:46 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Insert "like" button here

Andrew #420675 10/09/16 02:46 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Andrew. you didn't read the whole post.

The problem IS NOT CONSTANT.

On the first time I heard the noise, I thought it was the SUB. It was just coincidence that when I walked over to the subs and turned them off that the sound stopped. The subs are NOT TURNED ON, but yet the problem has persisted two other times. The sub woofers are sitting right beside the LFR speakers so it would make sense that it would be impossible to know if the sound was coming from the subs or the LFR's unless to put your ear right beside the speaker.

The Anthem Pre-Amp gets turned off after I finish listening. I guess like every piece of equipment now, it goes into standby and not really turned off. The noise has only happened 3 times, and only from the LFR speakers, and not from the other center and surrounds. Those also have a powered amplifier hooked up to them that was turned on.

If I had my ADA1000 amps hooked up to the 12v trigger so they would turn off when the Anthem Pre-Amp was turned off, thne I would never have known about this issue. It was purely that they were left on. I have since done this.

I have no idea as to what is causing the issue to happen. If Axiom tells me that it is nothing to worry about and by simply having the Amps turned off that all will be good, then I will happily take that as a solution. If you really feel that I need to leave the amps turned on with the DSP so that I can try and get the event to happen again ( and have ZERO worries that this noise could damage the speakers or reduce their life expentancy) then I will comply to see if the issue can be further isolated. I am not always in the house so there most likely be times that it could be acting up but I am not there to hear it.

My goal in life is to be happy and enjoy.

I will gladly phone back in the week after thanksgiving and discuss what you would like me to try.

Andrew #420676 10/09/16 02:55 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By Andrew
One thing everyone needs to remember is that Axiom stands behind their products more than pretty much any audio manufacturer out there. If you have a problem in the future, even if something is out of warranty it usually ends up being repaired for little to no cost.

Thanks,

Andrew

This is why I bought Axiom. I do really like their ADA amps and they have been rock solid and have had no problems where other equipment seems to be finicky.

With the amps auto turning off, the speakers don't make more noise. For me this a liveable solution especially given the statement Andrew made above about the commitment of Axiom in the future. If the unit konks out somewhere in the future, if it can be repaired for a reasonable price then what else could be asked for.

MMM #420744 10/18/16 05:43 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Ok. it was just a matter of waiting time. I left the DSP and the Amps turned on, and after a week of waiting, I managed to get it acting up when i was inside the house. Actually, i had just got home from some shopping and heard a static crackling noise from the basement.

As Andrew asked, I pulled the middle two RCA inter-connects from the Pre-Amp to the DSP and the noise continued on/off for about a minute. I then turned off the DSP and the sound stopped right away. The ADA1000 amps were left turned on so I know it wasn't being generated by them.

So the DSP is acting up. I guess I will need to send it into Axiom to get them to take a looksy at them.

MMM #420745 10/18/16 07:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good to hear you caught it in the act.

I was going to add a comment about how waiting a week would have been good practice for hunting, but then I remembered it's only real hunting practice if you sit outside in the rain all week.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
MMM #420748 10/19/16 02:34 AM
M
M
I highly recommend Axiom has a look-see.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 532 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup