Adding speakers to a simple 2 channel system
#420609 10/04/16 01:11 PM
D
DL30 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
D
I'm helping a friend of mine set up a bar. He wanted a no frills music system set up, so we went with a 2 channel receiver with A & B speaker inputs and 4 speakers. We wanted a simple receiver because various bartenders and waitstaff will be using the system - we didn't want anyone unintentionally turning on a movie mode or audio mode. He also did not want to shell out bucks for a fancy bar system - it's a smaller bar which will generally have live music on the weekends, so it's more for background sound.

However, now he wants to add two more speakers to the mix so he can have music out on the bar patio. His idea is to splice 2 more speakers onto one of the channels. I told him this is probably a bad idea - especially since the wire runs for these speakers are around 75 feet each.

Is there a way I can get another small amplifier hooked into the system so that the 6 speakers are all playing from the same source?

Also - is there a way to boost a bluetooth signal from a reciever?

Thanks!

DL
Re: Adding speakers to a simple 2 channel system
DL30 #420611 10/04/16 03:10 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Splicing speakers will have bad effect on impedance and will probably blow the amp section of the receiver.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 10/04/16 03:10 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
DL30 #420612 10/04/16 03:15 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
For under $500 he could get a 12 channel 6 stereo zones 60 watt per zone/channel amp from Amazon.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 10/04/16 03:15 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
DL30 #420613 10/04/16 03:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I guess the answer depends a bit on the receiver being used. You might get lucky and have a receiver which has pre-out and amp-in connections on the back (my HK-3270 does), in which case you could use a couple of Y splitter cables to connect each pre-out to both amp-in and the corresponding (right/left) input on the other amplifier.

Failing that, if you are only using an external audio source (eg CD player) then you could use splitter cables from the source going to both the receiver and the new amp.

In both cases you would need a gain/level control on the second amplifier to make sure your levels match... might need a wider range with the second approach.

Failing that I guess the remaining options (none of which are great) would be:

- add the third pair of speakers in parallel with one of the existing sets and hope the amp can handle it (basically you'll have three pairs of speakers in parallel, so <3 ohm effective impedence)

- wire two pairs of speakers in series on one of the outputs, giving you a series-parallel arrangement - impedance will be OK (~6 ohms) but the speakers wired in series will not play as loudly as the other set of speakers... this probably only works if different speaker volume could be useful, eg you may want more or less volume on the patio than inside

A final option (which could work OK but more fiddly) would be to build/find a box that converts speaker-level signal to line level, could be as simple as a dual 1K potentiometer with speaker red connected to one end, speaker ground connected to the other end, RCA jack ground connected to speaker ground, and RCA jack hot connected to the wiper on the potentiometer. Fixed resistors would be better but would require some trial & error unless the second amp had sufficiently wide range of input levels & gain control.

An adapter like this would have a sufficiently high input impedance that you could wire it in parallel with either speaker pair without a problem.

EDIT - actually those adapters seem to be pretty common, so maybe this isn't as much of a "last resort" as I first thought. Search for "speaker to line level converter".

EDIT AGAIN - another option *might* be the headphone jack, but that would probably need resistors to bring the level down as well.

Last edited by bridgman; 10/04/16 03:25 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
DL30 #420617 10/04/16 09:17 PM
D
DL30 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
D
Thanks guys. Went with a used receiver picked up at Goodwill. It will do the trick, and plus, since it has it's own volume control, we can keep the volume down on the patio and not disturb other businesses.

DL

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters