Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
new subwoofer question
#420954 11/03/16 09:34 PM
D
daryl Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi All: First time poster (to any forum believe it or not). Anyways, I am the proud new owner of a pair of EP600s. These are my first ever subs as I've always stuck with a 2 channel stereo system. I bought them with the intention of building a good home theatre system which I'm working on now but the room won't be ready for probably another year. In the meantime (just got them yesterday), I'm using them with a pair of Polk bookshelves (RTia3) and a Yamaha stereo receiver. I have each hooked up (via high level inputs) to one channel and placed near each respective Polk speaker as a stereo setup. I streamed spotify through the stereo but I really can't hear the axioms. It's either because they just integrate so well in the lower hz that they're just barely shading that bottom end, or I've done something wrong, but when I turn them off and just listen to the polks I don't really hear a difference (even if I turn the sub volume way up). Maybe most music doesn't have low enough frequencies for the sub to do much? And when I find some bass-heavy tracks just to try to test the subs, I can't turn the system up too much as the polks start to strain. Is there such a thing as an external crossover unit that I could buy to let the Polks handle only the highs and mids? When I hook up each sub to the receiver via high level inputs, do I only hook up to one channel considering I have two subs, or would that even make a difference? Apologies in advance for these beginner questions, but I am just really so excited to feel what these guys can do but so far I'm not really hearing anything. I would think that even with low overall volume, as long as one cranks up the subwoofer volume one should be able to hear/feel the subs. thanks in advance,

Re: new subwoofer question
daryl #420957 11/04/16 12:30 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
The EP600 should be noticeable when you are playing.

1st. Take the cover off the subs and look at the driver when you are playing. is it moving?

You said you are using a high level input. So you are running the speaker wire from your amp to the sub, and then a speaker wire from the sub to the Polk RTia3 bookshelf speakers.

The high level input has a cross over knob at the top that controls the frequency that the sub will kick in. If you have that set to 40hz then you are not likely to hear any sound from the sub and would explain the strain you hear on the Polks when playing bass heavy tracks. Try turning that up to 100 or 120hz. this will offload the bass from the bookshelf speakers and give that to the sub.

You can also look at http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php for some test sound patterns

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
daryl #420958 11/04/16 01:05 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
You're doing something very wrong. I have one EP600 v2 in a >6,000 cubic foot basement and when it's on, the neighbors complain!

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
daryl #420960 11/04/16 02:05 AM
D
daryl Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Yes i must be doing something wrong i just cant figure it out yet. I have the high level cross over set at 100 but ive tried all the crossover points with no difference. The amp is on, the light is green, the bookshelf speakers are working - and im running the bookshelfs from the subs so its not the high level connections on the subs. I took off the covers as was suggested to look at the woofers, and if the music is cranked and the song has lots of bass, then the woofers are moving slightly, but even with the subs volume as high as it can go, there isnt much bass beyond what the polks are putting out. My room is about 3000 cubic ft, maybe a bit more, so these things should be shaking the foundation. Frustrating as im so eager to see what they can do.

daryl #420961 11/04/16 08:29 AM
M
M
Are the subs new?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
daryl #420963 11/04/16 02:18 PM
D
daryl Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Yes just got them right from axiom on wednesday. I notice that some other subs (when i look online) have both high level inputs and high level outputs - so a total of 8 connections (binding posts). The ep600s just have the high level inputs for a total of 4 connections. Just to be clear as im essestially running stereo subs, i run one channel from the amp to each sub which takes up only two binding posts (leaving two empty), and then more speaker wire from the same binding posts on each sub to each reapective bookshelf speaker? So on each sub there is a pair if binding posts empty?

daryl #420976 11/05/16 06:34 PM
local
local
Your hookup should work. You could also run two pairs of wires from the same binding posts on your amp or receiver, with one end terminating on a sub and the other end on one of your bookshelf speakers.

Did you try adjusting the volume knobs on the subs?

daryl #420981 11/06/16 01:20 AM
aficionado
aficionado
try to unhook the speakers. Turn the dial up to 150 should get something , then start to dial it back to 100, 80hz.
Also start with the volumn dial at 50%.
never mind looking at the driver, I only have the 350 and I cannot see it move but I sure hear it.
Put your fingers on it and feel the vibration. Then shove your head in a corner of the room. You have to hear something.
Another thing is you said next to your bookshelves, so I assume they both are up front stage. Check to see if they are in phase 0 or out of phase 180. Probably doessn't help if one is in phase and one is out of phase.
Also, maybe your in a nul ..... how far away are you sitting ? move your chair and put on sub there, and turn up some tight bass music something with good lick drum to start ( Niclkleback ) and do the sub woofer crawl. Mark the spot then crawl around to the next best tight bass spot. Then move the subs there. Put chair back and see if you hear a difference

Anthem MRX520
M5HPv4
VP160HPv4
QS10v4

daryl #420988 11/07/16 01:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Mojo
You're doing something very wrong. I have one EP600 v2 in a >6,000 cubic foot basement and when it's on, the neighbors complain!

Yes, i'd agree with this statement. I have a pair of ep600's as well. at 70db if there is a heavy bass note, the entire damn house rattles (windows, plates, doors, neighbors).. You should not be able to push your pulk bookshelves to the limit with both 600's working.. Also, both of my subs level is about 50% or less for the pair.

Does your receiver have a subwoofer pre-out (i'm guessing no)? for quite a while i ran a y rca connector to get a signal to both of my subs. if your receiver does have a subwoofer out, then try each sub independently.

Sometimes i'll turn one of my sub's off and only run one. The way i see which one is working is just touching the driver. i don't even bother taking the grill cloth off, just gently apply pressure; you'll be able to feel the driver.

I'd tell you to either call Axiom or e-mail Andrew.. Andrew designed the new amps. So, he'll be able to get you up and running. When you get them going, you'll like them. They work very well for stereo.

andrew@axiomaudio.com

daryl #421000 11/08/16 03:39 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Two EP600's...
Lucky buy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard