Print Thread
Rate Thread
Is it worth it?
#421030 11/12/16 03:19 AM
Newf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Long story short, I missed the kickstarter out of stupidity and bad luck. I had asked a few questions that never got answered probably because they were still finalizing it, but I kept delaying getting the kickstarter unit wondering if it was worth the money and the lack of info scared me - go see the original thread it's all there. Then I said .... I'll get it anyways, and that day I had bad family issue....went to order it later that day thinking I had until the 12th to order, and this was like 30mins passed midnight on the 11th so I missed out on it because it didn't include the 12th....duh.

But I was sorta relieved and pissed at the same time. I've always wondering if this thing was worth the price. I have faith in Axiom having 20+ of their speakers in my home and 3 more on the way, but this is a different direction for them. I even bragged about this to everyone I knew, said keep an eye out for it, it could be a game changer. I got my A/V department at work excited for it as a quick easy system to setup in classrooms. Family too.

But then it got delayed, then it there were issues, then it did come out, and I really haven't seen any info on it. Unless I'm blind, there are hardly any reviews of it. The only things I read here are people having issues...but that's what this place is for right?

So I got this coupon for black Friday, and I'm tempted again. It's not as good as the kickstarter deal once you add in the discounts they had given on the battery and wooden tops. But xmas is coming..... smile but I still have that hesitation. I feel there is a version 2 coming. One with ports on the back, one with volume control buttons, a better interface etc. I always felt these things were needed, and at the price of the unit maybe I should wait. If it was 500 bucks I wouldn't care but at a grand ( NL tax is 15%) I'm second guessing it.

When it comes to the techie side, I have tons of experience in this area. Wireless and lan admin, did coding, sys admin, A/V pro for years. That doesn't scare me. But if this isn't easy to use for the woman of the house...I will be in trouble. We don't want that.

She's Apple
I'm android
And my music is all on Windows machine. But we want it for internet radio mostly, and we can get that on our phones, but want to send that to the Air. We have a BT speaker now for this, but of course BT sucks, and only one connection at a time.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12
Re: Is it worth it?
Newf #421031 11/12/16 04:29 AM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
What the hell are you gonna do with it in the snow? Might as well wait until it has the DSP with adaptive room correction, a couple of mid-range drivers and the fuel cell that keeps the batteries charged when it's on the go.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Newf #421032 11/12/16 08:59 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Hi Newf,

There is a code update coming shortly along with an iOS and PC App (we already have an Android App). The new Apps will go directly to our User Interface. This new code update has a bunch of cool features such as TIDAL embedded, way more options for song sorting, the volume moved to the top of the interface, an optional setting to default to Analog In on boot, a button to force the hotspot, the ability to find various networks automatically, Bluetooth as a connection option, and multi language selection on our User Interface. There is also the ability to connect directly to the AxiomAir without going to our UI at all by using AirPlay or UPnP.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Newf #421052 11/13/16 07:45 PM
Newf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
thanks IAN.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
Newf #421182 11/24/16 10:01 PM
L
frequent flier
frequent flier
L
To be completely honest, I'm not finding it worth what I paid for them. There are a number of connection issues, the webUI doesn't function well, if you are air playing or it thinks you're air playing even if you're not, it won't let you touch the webUI, it doesn't have the device selection ability I thought it would, the one will not remember the network it was connected to and when it is connected only plays for about 2 seconds before dropping out, and taking any of the others out with it. I guess, I was expecting something different. Does it play good sound, yes. I'm not sure I would have purchased them, now having experienced them.

I had hoped to have a wireless speaker that I could connect to, select which one plays what, from any device, with simplicity, but alas, if I want multiple speakers playing, I have the option of using iTunes only, which doesn't contain all my musical options, otherwise its a convoluted process. If I choose to use the speakers for other sound from my computer I can only use 1. It would be nice if the webUI would permit me to "clone" the speaker being used and play whats being played on other ones. It would be nice if the webUI would allow you to do things with the speakers even while being used in airplay. It would be nice to be able to select which speakers play whatever is connected, and not require that it be connected through the usb ports. If I want to connect any device to it using hot spot, I can no longer play over multiple AA's. Like I say, I think I was looking for something different than what I got.

Newf #421197 11/25/16 10:39 PM
R
R
I would hang on to my money for now, if I were you. Like you, I love Axiom sound and have the equivalent speakers in both bookshelf and in-wall formats. They are awesome. The Air sounds wonderful also, but the interface at this time is very awkward for what does work, and there's lots of stuff that it simply doesn't do. The features described above by Ian for the update would go a long way, but I'd wait to hear that they work. Interfaces such as SONOS and the one I have on a Marantz unit connected to my other Axioms are real spoilers and should be the standard Axiom shoots for. I have had the same problems getting replies to e-mails and phone calls that others describe. The Air comes with "Lifetime Support". It seems to be taking a lifetime to get mine to play web radio; no one on the phone and one e-mail exchange daily (unfortunately I have a job which renders me unavailable at times) except for weekends and some weekdays when I get no response. I hope this works out for Axiom, but it's a tough market segment with some very good players.

Newf #421201 11/26/16 03:13 AM
Newf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I actually ordered it a couple of days ago. I'll give it an honest try, I hate returning things, but some of your comments confirm my fears.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
Newf #421204 11/26/16 06:31 AM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I use my AA in a much simpler fashion.

Controlled from my older Toshiba Vista Laptop, I use Web Radio daily for my radio stations.

For music - I converted my large CD collection to the highest quality MP3 format & copied it to a USB Stick. These tracks play seamlessly from it. There are more than 800 tunes on the stick with room to spare, but I can't see needing any more music than that.

Sounds great & always works like a charm...

TAM

Moderated by  Andrew, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters