Re: Lets plan a theater space
AAAA #419984 08/04/16 10:50 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
smile You've heard my setup in my old room. (Albeit with messed up sub levels :p) Should I settle?

I wont know conclusively until I try. I want to push further. I have read up on the statements quite a bit and found a DIY event vid where after hearing a few full range DIY projects a group of men were transformed into giddy boys when the statements played last... Lol. I want that.

Found it. Statements at 7:00.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MZz-IR0LxSc

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 08/04/16 10:55 PM.
AAAA #419985 08/05/16 12:48 AM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Actually I liked the sub levels. They tickled my tasty bits.

I don't know. At 9:00 I was hearing some serious distortion. Or was that my $0.50 ear buds? smile

What will the Statement IIs give you over similarly-priced Axioms? How do they compare on paper?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #419989 08/05/16 05:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Mojo
How know thou that Statement IIs will give thee the macro and micro dynamics thou seeks?

Dunno, but SerenityNow seems to knoweth more than I about these things...

Hmm... so Statement II's are DIY speakers with 2x8", 2x4" and a ribbon. Initial impression from looking at the drivers is that it probably sounds really good but isn't what you want if you're looking for dynamics.

Bottom line is that you need surface area -- 12" or 15" woofers or equivalent in smaller drivers. Two 8" drivers (roughly equivalent to three 6.5") could probably handle it if they were designed for high power but my impression is that the Dayton woofers are not. I could be wrong though...

Yet another edit - wow, 142 guests and one registered user. C'mon folks, it's a nice place here, sign up and start posting smile

Last edited by bridgman; 08/05/16 06:09 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
AAAA #420812 10/22/16 09:55 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A

I tried Dirac. Mixed results. I downloaded the trial version and have been playing with it all afternoon. The best result was letting it handle just the low frequency region (light blue in image.) If I went with a full spectrum calibration it shrunk the soundstage width considerably and flattened it out. I think I've got one of those "if it aint broke" scenarios. I was contemplating factoring in an 8 channel MiniDSP DDRC-88A but I dont think I want to anymore. I think I might consider the DDRC-24 and let it handle the subwoofer range only. Kind of bummed it wasn't as spectacular for me as it seems to be for everyone else.

Anyone know any tricks to getting the best out of the DL software? It really crushed the enveloping feeling my room has. I went with the default 9 point measuring pattern but kept the total width of the area at 5' or so. I'll have to play with it some more for sure. Powerful software.

AAAA #420814 10/22/16 11:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have always believed that if it aint broke don't fix it. all the measuring mics and software can not replicate what the human ear can hear. Honestly if it sounds good to you that is what matters not what all the squiggley lines are trying to tell you. I have Dirac live full and since I treated my room I really don't feel the need for it and have not run it since moving. There are many purists that believe RC software is not necessary and maybe even harmful. In all honesty and this is just me , but using REW and a good mic will get you 90% of the way there using speaker positioning and treatments . The Minidsp 2x4 is a great tool especially with multiple subs that are not symmetrical. As for Dirac I found that having the mic too close to the wall when measuring can really skew the results. Also I try to keep the mic close to the MLP, most people that watch with me don't know the difference or care.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
AAAA #420818 10/23/16 01:12 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Yeah. I think you are right on all accounts. cool

Dirac isn't for me in the end for the entry price. I A/B tested with my wife, with several different filters, each less intrusive than the next. The best attribute we were able to achieve was tight, dry bass. But if you have heard really, really tight, dry bass, well, it sounds weird and unnatural. MINIMAL processing was my preferred setup for all filters. Toggling the filters on and off quickly showed obvious, although not always better changes. I was only EQing most of the range by a few DB -and it was too much. I could never get every region sounding "just right."

My experience with the Dirac Calibration software was great. It is very intuitive and quick to generate and save filters. The companion Dirac Audio Processor Controller on PC is less than bug free. I have new found respect for those who run an HTPC or a computer audiophile rig. What a pain in the nutz it is to get everything to play well together. Had a few "just walk away" moments for sure....

All in all this was a great experience. I learned about how my speakers react to EQing. Extending the high end treble range causes obvious problems. Flattening out the midrange seemed to change the feeling of envelopment in the space. Tightening up the subwoofer response yielded pretty good results, but there was now a pronounced "Hi, I'm a subwoofer" sound to every bassline. The mains and subs were no longer seamless.

I think the tried and true passive acoustic treatment methods are less intrusive and natural sounding than my experience with Dirac -but in a bare room the results may have been very different. I could have probably spent more time with the filters, but it seemed there was no way to EQ small portions of the frequency range and leave the rest alone. The sliders only allow a low\high pass filter arrangement. I would like to try another PEQ that lets the user focus on key ranges and leave the rest alone. I have determined my room has comparatively minor issues. They measure much worse than they sound. Chasing the remaining issues down with Dirac software was two things for me.

1. Enlightening
2. Soul suckingly un-fun

I learned a valuable lesson. Boiling results down to raw numbers and graphs with Dirac boiled me down to a frustrated person. So thankful for the free software trial. Moving on! smile

AAAA #420824 10/24/16 12:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Man I spent hours and hours with REW and Dirac and running sweeps and comparing them and reading and reading at REW forum and Emo forum trying to do god knows what. In the end I put up some panels waited for a quiet night ,we had a lot of street noise and ran dirac and sat back and watched movies and stopped with all the fussing. The biggest change was the panels, I read about clapping in the room and listening to how it reverbs and the panels cured a lot of echo. I may do a bit with subs once the winter blues settle in. Maybe build some traps just to see if it sounds better or just different. I don't think it was a waste of time but I just found I kept going farther down the rabbit hole so I just stopped.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
AAAA #420859 10/27/16 10:14 AM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
I may end up eventually trying the mini dsp 2x4 or the dspeaker antimode 8033. I do have ringing in my room at 25hz and modest ringing at its harmonic at 50hz. These are length modes and affect the entire width of the listening area fairly evenly. Part of why the 8033 is appealing to me is it is a black box standalone solution. No licenses, computer hookups or time pouring over graphs and making adjustments. There just comes a point where analysis paralysis starts to set in. smile

A couple people here have the 8033, thoughts?

AAAA #421185 11/25/16 03:07 PM
H
H
I'm sure it's been answered somewhere but what software did you use for the 3d planning?

Check out Noocube here.
AAAA #421194 11/25/16 09:05 PM
A
AAAA Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
Download it here. Pretty sweet software once you get the hang of it.

http://www.sweethome3d.com/

Page 61 of 89 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 88 89

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020