Page 1 of 2 1 2
OT: Canada is the linchpin....
#42194 04/19/04 05:50 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Many of you already know my affection for the ability to convey meaning with concision. I came across this today and wondered if any of my friends on these forums had any thoughts they'd like to share.

"Canada is the linchpin of the English-speaking world. Canada, with those relations of friendly, affectionate intimacy with the United States on the one hand and with her unswerving fidelity to the British Commonwealth and the Motherland on the other, is the link which joins together these great branches of the human family, a link which, spanning the oceans, brings the continents into their true relation and will prevent in future generations any growth of division between the proud and the happy nations of Europe and the great countries which have come into existence in the New World." - Winston Churchill, Speech given at a luncheon in honour of Mackenzie King, Prime Minister of Canada, Mansion House, London, September 4, 1941.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Re: OT: Canada is the linchpin....
#42195 04/19/04 06:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I greatly admire Winston Churchill's use of the English Language. I have a small journal in which I collect any item which moves me. I have Lincoln's Gettysburg address and his eloquent letter to Mrs. Bixby tucked away in there. Also, I have this:

"Good night then:
Sleep to gather strength for the morning. For the morning WILL come.
Brightly will it shine on the brave and the true, kindly on all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes.
Thus will shine the dawn.
"

Winston Churchill
From a radio broadcast to occupied Europe.

I am a student of World War II history, and I can only imagine what it would have been like to be lying in the darkness of the Nazi occupation and hear those words of comfort delivered in Winston Churchill's gravely, determined voice.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#42196 04/19/04 06:47 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i have always liked this one, its from 'Leaves of Grass'

This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body.-– Walt Whitman

i wish we lived in a world more like this.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#42197 04/19/04 06:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
that's funny Tom! Winston Churchill actually had a very unhealthy dislike for WLMK.

"Chickens don't clap."
#42198 04/19/04 07:01 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
You know, when I started the thread, I was really looking for reflections upon Canada. But I am so much more greatly enriched by those responses from Jack and John. They are both new to me, and inspiring beyond measure. Thank you so much for sharing.

"Use what talents you have; the woods would have little music if no birds sang their song except those who sang best." - Reverend Oliver G. Wilson

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#42199 04/19/04 07:07 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Oh, well, then canada is cool too..

at least thats what people tell me.. i would like to visit, but man, thats one hell ofa' drive..

bigjohn

#42200 04/19/04 07:08 PM
old hand
old hand
Well I'm Canadian and although I usually don't watch the news much, more often than naught when I watch a news story or read about something going on in the world I am very happy and proud to be Canadian.

#42201 04/19/04 07:14 PM
old hand
old hand
BigJohn, yes it is a hell of a drive. I know because a friend and I drove from Winnipeg, Manitoba to Dallas, Texas - STRAIGHT.

It was about three or four years ago during reading week. It was cold here and my buddy and I gave each other 30 mins to pack before we started driving. We didn't have a plan so we just told people we were going to keep driving until it got warm.

24 hours of straight driving later we got to Dallas. I still remember that weekend!

#42202 04/19/04 07:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
From all I've seen and heard, Canada seems like a wonderful country. Haven't visited since I was 2. A fishing trip would be nice one day though. Make sure you guys don't catch them all.
My doctor is Canadian-born. He's a saint for what he does helping less fortunate children.

#42203 04/19/04 07:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
several questions..

what is "reading week"??
where you just coming to dallas for the warmth??
what did you do in the 'big d', once you got there??

hope you didnt drive straight south thru nebraska, kansas, and oklahoma!! if so, that had to be the most boring drive in the history of road-trips!! and if you would have kept driving to where i live, you can tack on another 4 hours to the trip..

i am prety much 4 hours, or more, from everything.

bigjohn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082