i think im gonna cry.. *sobb*-*sobb*

im a local now baby..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Re: OT: Canada is the linchpin....
#42205 04/19/04 07:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh John. Thanks for the Whitman. Wonderful! However, as the owner of an Axiom setup I have a little trouble with the "despise riches" thing, because I feel undeservedly rich. With apologies to those who don't like this kind of music, I'm sitting here, right now, enriching my soul with Nat King Cole.

Tom, apologies for missing the point. I can't say much about Canada because I've never been there. I think of Canadians as respected cousins. I can only hope that they feel about their country as I feel about mine. It's home.

"Count no day lost in which you waited your turn, took only your share, and sought advantage over no one." - Robert Brault

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#42206 04/19/04 07:52 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I believe it was Winston Churchill who said (or it could have been Big Bird): "America and England are two great countries separated by a common language." I'm almost positive the quote includes Canada by reference.

The did us a solid when they saved a large number of Americans from the Iran hostage crisis during Carter's administration by taking them into the Canadian embassy.

We get to Toronto quite a bit and it's a warm, friendly country. Matter of fact, I'm wearing a flannel tie in their honor today, hey. Long live the MacKenzie brothers. I bleed Labatt's.

#42207 04/19/04 08:12 PM
aficionado
aficionado
BigJohn
I was fortunate to make that very scenic drive last winter. Myself and 3 friends took in Mardi Gras last Feb/Mar. We drove nearly straight through on the way down. On the Wednesday morning after Mardi Gras, we hopped in the van @ around 8:00 a.m. and headed for Dallas. We caught a hockey game there that evening and we were back in the van around 10:00 or so. We drove straight through the night/morning/afternoon/evening and made it back to Winnipeg around 8:00 p.m. (as I recall). I would assume the rental agency was all too happy to take that van back, what with 4 guys living, eating (steady diet of beef jerkey and McDonald's), sleeping in the van. I'm sure it would have been prettier if we'd parked it at a rendering plant with the windows rolled down for the 10 days.

"Chickens don't clap."
#42208 04/19/04 08:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Another Winnpegan?
Our ranks are growing.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#42209 04/19/04 08:58 PM
old hand
old hand
BigJohn, reading week would be spring break. I forget when it actually was but I know it wasn't too warm here. We didn't really aim for Dallas for warmth per se but we just pointed the car south and drove untill we could wear shorts! We didn't really even have a good destination for the border guard. He asked us where we were headed and we said somewhere warm! Now don't tell me that kind of ambigous answer would fly in this day and age!

We stayed in a hotel in the downtown area, entirely by chance. It was walking didtance to an area I think that is called "The Market?" It's like a street with restaurants and bars with no cars and people walking around drinking. Sunday we picked up tickets to a Stars game and then went to a place called "The Red Jacket". Which was a blast. I forget the name of the area it was in, something like deep ellom.

Yes, that seems to be the route we took. Lincoln and Oklahoma city were two places we went through. All in allnot the most scenic trip ever. But if you think that it's the most boring trip ever you havn't driven Winnipeg to Edmonton. There is a cure for insomnia, it's called Saskatchewan.

#42210 04/19/04 09:22 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ah, spring break.. we usually go to the texas coast(padre island), or if we had money, i would fly to tampa bay and stay with my aunt for the week. at least i could save hotel fees.

you were probably near the 'market square'.. cool place, kinda touristy, but still fun. the stars were probably playing in 'reunion arena' then, now they have built the 'american airlines arena', which is just huge.. it is the first and only triple decker indoor arena i have ever been in.. and 'deep ellum' is a really cool place.. it used to be the 'bad' part of dallas, but a bunch of investors went in, fixed it up, and turned it into a bar/club mecca.. you can find everything from heavy metal to techno to rap.. all depends on your mood that evening.. i like to go there when i go to dallas. more locals hang there.

dallas is a fun town, as long as you can stand the traffic. but i guess that goes with any big city..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#42211 04/19/04 09:27 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Tom, while we're sharing quotes, mine are labour related but that's what moves me:

"We'll hold this line until hell freezes over - then we'll hold it on ice skates" - Anonymous picket sign

"The fight is never about grapes or lettuce, it is always about people" - Cesar Chavez, UFW

"The superior person understands rightness; the inferior person understands profit" - Confucius

"While there is a lower class -- I am in it;
While there is a criminal element -- I am of it;
And while there is a soul in prison, I am not free"
- Eugene Debs, co-founder IWW

"Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living" - Mother Jones

#42212 04/20/04 03:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow. You Canadians seem to be a uniformly socially-conscious bunch.

How about, from the ever eloquent Janis Joplin:

"It's all the same f***ing day, man."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082