Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
On-Wall M5HP vs On-Wall M3 for surrounds and ATMOS
#422464 01/15/17 05:58 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I was originally consider doing 4 pairs of on-wall M3 speakers for my new ATMOS theater build - side surrounds, back surrounds, front heights and back heights. But now, with the new M5HP, I'm wondering if they should be considered instead - at least for the bed level surrounds.

My back surrounds can be placed anywhere on the back wall ~12ft behind the single row of seats. The side surrounds are a little trickier. The left side surround can be pretty much be placed anywhere but would best be placed (due to roughed-in wire) slightly in front of the seating. Any height should be possible. The right side sound is a bit of a problem. I originally wired the surround to the ceiling since that side is open (no wall). Now, I'm thinking of putting it on the wall a couple of feet behind the seating.

I have decided to hang the on-walls from the ceiling instead of putting in-ceiling speakers. This will allow me to angle them and avoids having to cut a hole in the wall and fish speaker wire. I likely will run flat speaker wire to the speakers. I can also put them in their optimal ATMOS location (as per Dolby specs).

What are the thoughts on using M3 vs. M5HP for the sides, backs and heights? Any advantages of using the M5HP for any of them? I will be crossing over to my sub based on whatever Audyssey measures (or slighthly higher, depending on how it sounds).

Looking to purchase soon so I can take advantage of the pre-order price if I decide to go with the M5HP.

Thanks!

Bryan

Re: On-Wall M5HP vs On-Wall M3 for surrounds and ATMOS
icehawk21 #422474 01/15/17 09:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In an ideal world, we would all have as "full of range" speakers as possible in all locations. So in that aspect, the M5HP would be better than the M3 from an output perspective. Then it just comes down to size of the cabinet, and cost.

That is the quick and easy answer.

That being said, I really like my M3 speakers that I have for my 4 surrounds and 4 overheads.

You won't go "wrong" with either, so again, it just comes down to size and cost.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
icehawk21 #422478 01/15/17 09:49 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
M5HPs all the way particularly if you plan on listening to music in surround.

If you can set up your front speakers symmetrically in the room and you don't have much covering your walls, you may not need surround for music. I don't with my M80s. The effect is amazing with well-recorded music.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
icehawk21 #422479 01/15/17 10:04 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I agree - full range is probably better. Cost isn't my main consideration, but getting it as good as possible without breaking the bank would be ideal. As far as size, I'm fine with either the M3 or M5HP for the surrounds. I think I might go with them M5HP for the surround.

What about the heights? I'm thinking M3 just to reduce the footprint. Does anyone think the M5HP would be too big to put on the ceiling?

And for both - should we mount them with tweeter in or out? I'm thinking out to provide as much "width" as possible.

Regarding listening to music in surround - currently, I actually prefer listening to music using Dolby Prologic II Music mode, which directs quite a bit of the ambience to the surrounds. I find it fully envelops me in the music and opens up the soundstage. I don't find it negatively affects the front soundstage or imaging. But I'm not that accomplished or critical of a listener. So in this regard, the M5HPs would likely be better for the bed layer.

But I've never heard the Dolby Atmos Surround mixer. And my receiver eschews Dolby Prologic II modes (Music, Height) for the DSU. Anyone have thoughts on this?

So I'm thinking M5HPs for the 4 bed layer surrounds. Still need to figure out the heights? Are M5HPs too big? I'm assuming they would still work with the ceiling full metal brackets.

icehawk21 #422481 01/15/17 10:16 PM
M
M
Come over to my place and tell me if you like 2 channel or surround for music. A listen may change your mind. It will also illustrate to you what Ian strived so hard to achieve with the family of curves.

I don't understand what you mean by tweeter in or out.

M5HPs are not too big for height especially given your 9 foot ceilings.

House of the Rising Sone
icehawk21 #422483 01/15/17 10:22 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm assuming that I will mount the M5HPs horizontally to the wall (similar to how nickbuol mounted is M3s). Not sure whether the "top" of the speaker (i.e. tweeter) should be positioned to the outside of (further from) the seating area or to the inside (closer to) the seating area.

icehawk21 #422484 01/15/17 10:27 PM
M
M
I wouldn't. I would expect the design (crossover) has been optimized for time alignment in the vertical orientation.

House of the Rising Sone

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082