Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: M2 vs M3 computer speakers
FosterCO #422644 01/19/17 10:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
mojo

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
FosterCO #422651 01/19/17 11:40 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
I didn't fart. That was my Bose 601 series III. smile

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
FosterCO #423206 02/06/17 09:50 PM
F
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
F
I got the speakers last week, and I spent a decent amount of time trying them out this weekend. Overall, I like them. They are such an improvement over my old speakers, as of course one would expect. Music sounds great, and game sounds really come through now. Its such a huge improvement its hard to describe exactly how.

However, it only took me a short while to know I should have gotten the M3s. There's not quite enough low end in the M2s for me (but I still don't want subwoofer low). I've contacted Axiom on how best to accomplish this.

Some other thoughts:
- They are loud. I don't run them too loud while I'm at my desk, as they are close to my ears. I really don't need this kind of volume in a computer speaker, but I suppose its good for when I'm working downstairs (my M60 setup is upstairs).
- The volume knob is not located in a convenient location, so I'm having to control levels using the horrible Windows mixer. Sometimes not that big deal, but sometimes a bit of a pain. Should have realized how much I used the volume knob on the old speakers.

And lastly a question - I have the speaker volume knob at about 50%, and I have the source volume in windows set to anywhere between 5%-35%. So - is it better to run the source volume louder and turn the speakers down, or vice versa? (Or is 50-50 best?)

FosterCO #423208 02/07/17 12:42 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I was lucky when I ordered my computer speakers that they were still in development. I initially reasoned as you likely did and placed the order for the M2s. Then about 3 days later, thought it out a bit more and changed the order to the M3s.

Yes they were bigger speakers, but I buy for sound.

As for your question of setting levels. The windows volume control is all digital and is just upping the bit level loudness to get more volume, or in your case, cutting the bit levels to make is sound less loud. This works sort of but reality is that at low volume levels you are cutting off huge bits of sound data as you can't digitally represent quiet sounds and compress the digital volume level. Think of taking a CD with 16 bits of sound. If you cut the sound level requested in 1/4 then any data that falls in the first 3-4 bits of sound are either lost or the sound levels are severely distorted.

The speakers have a volume control on the back that is Analogue. It is taking the digital sound and applying a voltage to it. if the input is from a distorted signal is then amplified making the wrong sound worse.

However if you do it the other way around and have windows running at 3/4 volume, I think that is equivalent to line out. Then have the speaker volume set to low, then the source is not distorted just the amp in the speakers are really adding little to no additional voltage and the speaker produces a correct representation of what it was intended.

but that is just my take.. worth what you paid for it.

Last edited by MatManBobbleHead; 02/07/17 12:44 AM.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
FosterCO #423211 02/07/17 01:31 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Any chance your desk is against a wall and you can simply slide the M2's back towards it?

FosterCO #423220 02/07/17 02:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FosterCO,

Does your laptop have access to any equalization, or does the amplifier have tone controls? The M2s will accept a gentle amount of bass boost, perhaps 3 dB- 5 dB, without complaint, and since you are doing "near-field" listening and not playing the M2s really loud, that amount of bass boost should help reproduce the lower bass tones without muddying up the midrange.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
FosterCO #423223 02/07/17 06:23 PM
F
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
F
MatMan- thanks, thats what I was looking for.

brsaw - yes the desk is against the wall, but putting the speakers back will put them behind the monitor, and I wont have direct line of "listening".

Alan - My computer (a desktop) does have a basic equalizer, but that does not work the way I'd like it to. When I up the bass frequencies 3 to 6db, what really seems to happen is that the treble is decreased a proportional amount to make it seem like there is more bass. For example I was trying out the EQ while playing a game, and raising the bass frequencies any amount caused the rain sound in game to simply go away. Remove the bass boost, and the rain sound came back. That's not acceptable to me. I was recently told about an EQ program called "PEACE", but have not tried it.

I'll post again when I have an update.

FosterCO #423260 02/09/17 11:39 PM
F
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
F
Here's a quick update:

Tried the PEACE equalizer program. I was able to boost the bass a little, and was enjoying that sound when I realized what my real problem was - the speakers were way lower than the horizontal plane of my ears. I put them on 6" boxes and proceeded to freak out at how good the sound was. It reminded me of the first time I heard my M60s. The bass is there, I don't need the EQ now at all. There's amazing sound staging and clarity. I'm blown away.

I did hear back from Debbie and Axiom will let me try the M2s and M3s side by side, so I will post again in a few weeks after I try them both out.

FosterCO #423683 02/27/17 10:47 PM
F
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
F
The M3 speakers arrived and I am trying them side by side with the M2s. It makes me chuckle to walk into the room and there's 4 speakers surrounding my monitor.

I'm still trying to decide, but so far its coming down to exactly what you all probably thought it would - the M3s have the lower bass I wanted, but lack the upper mids, which of course the M2s excel at. I want to see if I can EQ the M3s to have a little more upper mids. I want the bass drum of the M3s and the snare of the M2s. I was wishing I could get an enclosure with all 3 speakers, and then I saw the M5 bookshelf speakers. Now I'm thinking of going with those and a separate amp. Not sure, they are big.

Additionally, I have the following feeedback on the M2 and M3 computer speakers themselves. I apologize if this seems critical. Its not as if these speakers aren't awesome.

1) 75 watts seems far far too much. Anything above 1/2 volume on the speaker dial is simply too loud, even if I'm out of the room (I just use the M60s at that point). I would think 40 watts would be enough.

2) Because of the wattage, the volume knob is extremely sensitive. Just a simple 1 mm turn produces a massive swing in volume.

3) Like a lot of powered speaker pairs, the speaker with the power amp (the left one), is slightly louder than the slave speaker, and the sound stage is a little left of center. I can use the balance to mostly overcome this, but its not my preferred solution as I'd need to adjust it every time I switch from speakers to headphones, or back.

4) Volume knob not that easy to get to as its below the USB cable input. Granted once I have everything setup right, I'd probably not need it much, but at the same time, it would be great if it were more accessible, or remote controlled. A button to instantly mute the speakers would be nice as well.

More to come.

FosterCO #423689 02/28/17 01:09 AM
M
M
The M5HPs are going to rock and no one should consider buying an M3 or M22 when they are available.

It doesn't sound right to me that the slave speaker is not as loud as the main.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616