Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Re: MC's Basement HT
mikecoscia #422616 01/19/17 02:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looking good!
BTW, we also use bean bag chairs. The kids have one each (when the dog isn't claiming one). It was a space solution for us as our HT is quite small, so it's an easy way to get 2 rows of seating so we're not all crammed on the couch, they make a great foot rest for those on the couch, and when not in use we can stack them out of the way. And they help with sound absorption as well as was already said in reference to bass traps.

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
mikecoscia #422617 01/19/17 02:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just make the walls darker with acoustical panels. smile

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #422619 01/19/17 03:01 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By cb919
Looking good!
BTW, we also use bean bag chairs. The kids have one each (when the dog isn't claiming one). It was a space solution for us as our HT is quite small, so it's an easy way to get 2 rows of seating so we're not all crammed on the couch, they make a great foot rest for those on the couch, and when not in use we can stack them out of the way. And they help with sound absorption as well as was already said in reference to bass traps.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By nickbuol
Just make the walls darker with acoustical panels. smile

Bingo, my thoughts exactly....lol. I also think I am going with the black curtain under the I-beam idea. It's great for sound absorption and will let me close up the theater for a better experience when I want too.

Last edited by mikecoscia; 01/19/17 03:02 PM.
mikecoscia #422620 01/19/17 03:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Actually, I hate to burst the myth, but a curtain, even a thick one, isn't a great sound absorber. Does it absorb sound? Yes. It absorbs pretty high frequencies only. There just isn't enough dense material to vastly improve the sound in the room. Heck, most commercially available absorption panels are covered with a fabric that is about as thick as curtain fabric. When calculating the absorption efficiency, they don't even really count the fabric covering into their calculations since it is not really good for absorption.

With that said, I am not saying that you shouldn't do it. Half of the basic room acoustical plans say to make the front wall (screen/TV wall) "dead" and the back wall stays "live". Plus, like you said, you can close off the space more for reducing light coming in, etc.

I made my front wall dead with absorption, but still added a thick panel on my back wall and it improved the bass response in my room. It took a decent sized 5.5" thick absorption panel to do it though.

I just wanted to make sure that you didn't focus too much on the curtain being a "great" sound absorber, but I would still do it.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #422629 01/19/17 08:10 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By nickbuol
Actually, I hate to burst the myth, but a curtain, even a thick one, isn't a great sound absorber. Does it absorb sound? Yes. It absorbs pretty high frequencies only. There just isn't enough dense material to vastly improve the sound in the room. Heck, most commercially available absorption panels are covered with a fabric that is about as thick as curtain fabric. When calculating the absorption efficiency, they don't even really count the fabric covering into their calculations since it is not really good for absorption.

With that said, I am not saying that you shouldn't do it. Half of the basic room acoustical plans say to make the front wall (screen/TV wall) "dead" and the back wall stays "live". Plus, like you said, you can close off the space more for reducing light coming in, etc.

I made my front wall dead with absorption, but still added a thick panel on my back wall and it improved the bass response in my room. It took a decent sized 5.5" thick absorption panel to do it though.

I just wanted to make sure that you didn't focus too much on the curtain being a "great" sound absorber, but I would still do it.

Not a bubble burst at all. It's more for aesthetics, as I have total light control...I bricked up all the windows in that half of the basement. It may not be great for sound absorption, but I would imagine it is better than open air...lol. Maybe I'll even get creative and make some doors on rolling tracks or something...haha. However, that's a thought for another day.

In the meantime, I managed to find a supplier for black ceiling tiles and grid in the area. Going with Certainteed Theater Black F tiles and a black grid from Chicago Metallic. Once the installer comes and gives me numbers, I'll order it and have him install whenever he is available. Other than that, I have a few drywall imperfections I need to touch up and then it's the final coat of paint. I may or may not get that done this weekend. We'll see how motivated I am...ha.

mikecoscia #422636 01/19/17 08:57 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Great job so far. Your in the home stretch now for the chore part. Then its gear time and beer time! grin

mikecoscia #422671 01/21/17 12:37 AM
S
buff
buff
S
Originally Posted By mikecoscia

In the meantime, I managed to find a supplier for black ceiling tiles and grid in the area. Going with Certainteed Theater Black F tiles and a black grid from Chicago Metallic. Once the installer comes and gives me numbers, I'll order it and have him install whenever he is available. Other than that, I have a few drywall imperfections I need to touch up and then it's the final coat of paint. I may or may not get that done this weekend. We'll see how motivated I am...ha.

Mike, I have the same grid and tiles in my basement. The tiles are great, but be aware that the grid has a semi-gloss finish which is very obvious in a dark room with a projected picture.
I have considered a spray can of flat paint but ... I'd have to take things apart.

Seems my gallery is a bit out of date...

Last edited by Stilljoe; 01/21/17 01:18 AM. Reason: include image
Stilljoe #422702 01/22/17 07:24 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By Stilljoe
Originally Posted By mikecoscia

Mike, I have the same grid and tiles in my basement. The tiles are great, but be aware that the grid has a semi-gloss finish which is very obvious in a dark room with a projected picture.
I have considered a spray can of flat paint but ... I'd have to take things apart.

Seems my gallery is a bit out of date...

Thanks for the picture! Yeah, I figured the grid was going to be shiny. I asked the sales representative and said that was all that they carried. He said it was not a gloss black, but definitely was not matte like the tiles. Ah well, I can easily live with what you posted. With my walls being so light, I am sure they will be reflecting as well.

mikecoscia #422703 01/22/17 07:47 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
A few updates. I took it easy this weekend, just did some light caulking and spackling touch ups in the basement. I did visit a few flooring stores, I have an installer coming Saturday to take a look and give me my options. The floor is sloped, but it's not terribly wavy. I want to go with vinyl plank. I'll see what he says.

With paint on the walls, I did run a quick screen test with a cheap portable projector I had. Looks like 92" is the biggest I can fit. Any bigger and the front speakers are going to be too close to the corners. I am probably going to go with this screen. Not totally sold yet, but I like the cost/quality ratio. I am also thinking about curved and gray screens. Although, I have total light control, so gray is probably unnecessary. I need to do more research. Here are a few pictures of the screen size...

I know it looks small, but the movie (Mad Max) is 2.35:1, so it's not even close to filling the 16:9 area of the projector. Which is fine, I watch a lot of TV and play a lot of video games too. So I have no desire to go to an anamorphic system, at least not anytime soon.

Also, since my old living room thread is filled with broken links (really wish we can edit old posts), I figured I would post some pictures of my other axiom setups.

Here is my living room. It includes M60 fronts, VP150 center, EP600 and 3 QS8s. I know its probably overkill for the room size, especially the sub, but I like how the sub size roughly matches the media cabinet...lol. The couch is also on a small riser with two buttkicker LFEs

My bedroom also contains my original foray into axiom speakers that were originally setup when I still lived with my parents back in college! It includes M3Ti fronts, VP100 center, SVS sub and 3 QS4s. Needless, to say I have been an axiom fan ever since.

Last edited by mikecoscia; 01/22/17 07:50 PM.
mikecoscia #422715 01/23/17 12:20 AM
S
buff
buff
S
Now what are those two waiting for? You certainly have their attention!
I really like your decor, choice of colours. Nicely put together.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup