Re: MC's Basement HT
cb919 #422990 02/01/17 02:14 AM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By cb919
The colored light scenes are pretty effective. I added the Hue bulbs on a whim with some gift money a while back and now find them as much practical as whimsical.
I have them set to certain scenes with the Harmony activities, and also have them on Siri voice control for quick adjustments as needed. Green for golf mode on PS4, dim candlelight for movie mode etc... And when powering off activities with the Harmony, they come back to bright white so you can see your way out of the HT - & find the spilled popcorn that the dog missed grin

You mentioned voice control earlier in this thread - what do you control by voice?

Cheers,

Right now I am running a combination of devices, all working together via a smarthings hub. I have an echo in most rooms that I use for voice control. I can't recommend the smartthings hub enough. It's totally open source and the community is very active, so you can get all sorts of devices working together that were never intended too. For example, if my backyard gate opens when I am not home, my Sonos can do text to speech via my pool speakers. Right now I have it saying, "Intruder, this property is under surveillance. If you do not have permission to be here, please leave immediately." It scared the crap out of my landscape guy the first few times...lol.

So I finished running speaker wire for my fronts and holy crap does that black wall mark easy. I may have to paint it again by the time everything is done..ha. Besides that, I need to start thinking about my speakers and I can use some advice.

I was originally planning 7.1, but I want to explore the possibility of atmos too. I'm not sure if it is even possible or favorable in my room layout. I have no left wall, so my left surround has to be mounted to the I-Beam, which is only going to put it a few inches away from the ceiling. I know this will work fine if I go 7.1 with QS8s, but I imagine it would not provide enough separation from the height channels. Thoughts? Should I go 7.1, 7.1.4, 7.1.2, 5.1.2, 5.1.4? What do you think would provide the best experience in my room size/layout?

Last edited by mikecoscia; 02/01/17 02:16 AM.
mikecoscia #423002 02/01/17 05:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sorry I have no opinion on your room setup. I'm very happy with my 7.1 setup and satisfy my upgradeitis itch through various technology upgrades like speakers, components, lights, automation etc... So far that has saved me from renovating my HT for Atmos and the like.

Just to confirm you are using the Samsung smartthings hub (https://www.smartthings.com/)?
I've so far gone down the road of Harmony, Philips Hue bulbs & Nest. Will this hub work with those devices? (I don't see them specifically listed on the web page).

Thanks. And good luck with that black wall and the drop ceiling install!

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
mikecoscia #423005 02/01/17 07:44 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B

mikecoscia #423006 02/01/17 07:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
5.6 its all about DA BASS

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
mikecoscia #423017 02/02/17 04:02 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
It's still .1
Lol

Edit: its the one thing in audio I think people would get behind unanimously.
We all know its 1 channel so let the number represent the individual powered sub count.

Edit 2: then I would vote 5.4.6 for him

Edit 3: and 5.4.6 for me. I think it would be lots and done right I can't see wanting anything more.

Last edited by brwsaw; 02/02/17 04:14 AM.

cb919 #423018 02/02/17 04:06 AM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By cb919
Sorry I have no opinion on your room setup. I'm very happy with my 7.1 setup and satisfy my upgradeitis itch through various technology upgrades like speakers, components, lights, automation etc... So far that has saved me from renovating my HT for Atmos and the like.

Just to confirm you are using the Samsung smartthings hub (https://www.smartthings.com/)?
I've so far gone down the road of Harmony, Philips Hue bulbs & Nest. Will this hub work with those devices? (I don't see them specifically listed on the web page).

Thanks. And good luck with that black wall and the drop ceiling install!

That's the one and I have all the devices you listed as well. They work great with the hub.

nickboul, if you are reading this I've seen some great speaker placement recommendations from you in the past. Any advice?

Last edited by mikecoscia; 02/02/17 04:14 AM.
mikecoscia #423019 02/02/17 05:22 AM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
I did a quick 7.1 layout (didn't include the sub in the drawing). Don't really think atmos is going to work, as I don't have a lot of mounting options for the surrounds...

mikecoscia #423020 02/02/17 06:13 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
What are you using the rest of this room for?

mikecoscia #423028 02/02/17 02:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, with your surrounds up as high as they are, I am not sure that you would get much benefit from going to Atmos. I understand that the left surround is the problem.

The closest that I think that you could come to any sort of Atmos install would be a 7.1.2 implimentation with the X.X.2 being 2 speakers in/on the ceiling about half way between the fronts and side surrounds. Even then, the sound of something flying overhead would elevate nicely as it was coming towards you, but by the time it got to those overheads, it would already be mixing/blending with the QS surrounds and starting to diffuse.

It would be better than no overheads there, but I think that the impact would be minimal. If the front left side wall was a bit deeper, I would say you could look at 9.1 with front wides. You could mount them so that they are between the front L/R and side surrounds, and just split the difference in height (half way between the height of the fronts and the side surround). You would have to set your receiver to "upmix" movies to use those wides, but it would give you a "similarly better" but still "different" impact compared to a 7.1.2 Atmos setup. Tough setup for anything more than 7.1, but 7.1 when done right will still sound great, and a LOT better than most people with their large flat-screens and sound bars.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #423032 02/03/17 02:09 AM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By brwsaw
What are you using the rest of this room for?

Mostly for watching movies and gaming. But I will use it for entertaining friends and family as well.

Originally Posted By nickbuol
Yeah, with your surrounds up as high as they are, I am not sure that you would get much benefit from going to Atmos. I understand that the left surround is the problem.

The closest that I think that you could come to any sort of Atmos install would be a 7.1.2 implimentation with the X.X.2 being 2 speakers in/on the ceiling about half way between the fronts and side surrounds. Even then, the sound of something flying overhead would elevate nicely as it was coming towards you, but by the time it got to those overheads, it would already be mixing/blending with the QS surrounds and starting to diffuse.

It would be better than no overheads there, but I think that the impact would be minimal. If the front left side wall was a bit deeper, I would say you could look at 9.1 with front wides. You could mount them so that they are between the front L/R and side surrounds, and just split the difference in height (half way between the height of the fronts and the side surround). You would have to set your receiver to "upmix" movies to use those wides, but it would give you a "similarly better" but still "different" impact compared to a 7.1.2 Atmos setup. Tough setup for anything more than 7.1, but 7.1 when done right will still sound great, and a LOT better than most people with their large flat-screens and sound bars.

I was thinking the same thing; but was hoping someone has better ideas than me...lol. I guess I will just start off with a good 7.1 and maybe try adding the two speakers in the ceiling between the fronts and the side surrounds down the road. Should definitely sound good, but it's probably at the point of diminishing returns with my surround locations.

What about front heights, as in directly above the front towers. Wasn't that a thing before atmos came along? I have been out of the home theater world for few years.

On a side note, the drop ceiling materials were delivered today. I also had all the wiring for the cans completed. I had them hung with staples temporarily, the drop ceiling guy can put them in their final position once the grid is installed. He's coming Saturday, so I really need to finish my speaker runs! I'll be up late tomorrow...lol.

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters