Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Re: MC's Basement HT
nickbuol #423377 02/15/17 10:49 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Okay cool, I'll give it a whirl with my living room setup and see how it sounds. I have a few 4k blu-rays, but all are Dolby HD or DTS HD, definitely need to stop at BestBuy and see what's avialable with Atmos.

Got a phone call today too, the floor material hasn't arrived. Have to reschedule the install for next week. cry

mikecoscia #423388 02/16/17 03:16 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Once you go Atmos, you don't go back. Building anything new now without considering Atmos....is a mistake imho. Buy direct firing speakers for your surrounds, take nicks advice. It's a different train of thought with Atmmos. You have to drop what you knew about 5.1 and 7.1. You don't put surrounds up high, you don't buy bipole or quadpole anymore, you don't need great big towers up front. The laser metaphor is a great way to think about it all. Atmos works in a 3d space, each speaker is your laser, it needs to be accurate to get the full effect. In a perfect room every speaker would be identical, but who can do that? More and more movies are moving to Atmos. There's no way I'd go back.....and I have the same Rack..love it.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12
Newf #423408 02/16/17 10:45 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
I upgraded my sump pump cover today. The plastic sump pit will cave in before that lid breaks. Now I can place the vinyl planks right over it without building a cabinet. I wouldn't go jumping on it, but it's in the rear corner, behind the couch. I will mostly likely place a bookshelf over it anyway.

Originally Posted By newf
Once you go Atmos, you don't go back. Building anything new now without considering Atmos....is a mistake imho. Buy direct firing speakers for your surrounds, take nicks advice. It's a different train of thought with Atmmos. You have to drop what you knew about 5.1 and 7.1. You don't put surrounds up high, you don't buy bipole or quadpole anymore, you don't need great big towers up front. The laser metaphor is a great way to think about it all. Atmos works in a 3d space, each speaker is your laser, it needs to be accurate to get the full effect. In a perfect room every speaker would be identical, but who can do that? More and more movies are moving to Atmos. There's no way I'd go back.....and I have the same Rack..love it.

How does 5.1/7.1 sound up-mixed to Dolby Surround and DTS Neural: X sound? Does it use the height channels effectively? I stream most of my content from either online providers or my own server. So outside the occasional blu-ray I buy, most of my content will not be atmos enabled.

I am really having a hard time deciding. Because I am missing that left wall I only have two options, 5.1.4 or 7.1. They require totally different speakers and I hate to pick one and not enjoy it as much as the other....ugh.

Last edited by mikecoscia; 02/16/17 10:45 PM.
mikecoscia #423409 02/16/17 10:57 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
What about building a pony wall with your surround left channel on one side and nice shelving for media or whatever on the other. Pin it on top of your finished floor and you can remove it later with little hassle.

AAAA #423410 02/16/17 11:32 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
What about building a pony wall with your surround left channel on one side and nice shelving for media or whatever on the other. Pin it on top of your finished floor and you can remove it later with little hassle.

Hmmm, not a bad idea. I'll see what stuff looks like once the floor is in and I move the couch downstairs. Floors have been rescheduled to next week.

mikecoscia #423411 02/16/17 11:41 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Since your space has fairly modern finishes, you can just buy aa nice shelf, put a false back in it and cut your speaker into the side facing your theater. Then you dont have to pin it down or go through the hassle of hiding seams on your pony wall with trim.

AAAA #423413 02/17/17 01:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now

Dont you have some speakers your suppose to be building. grin

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
mikecoscia #423572 02/24/17 04:12 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Floors and carpet were installed yesterday. Came out great!

Going to move my living room couch downstairs tomorrow. We are replacing it with a Lovesac sactional in my living room. If my wife and I really like it, we will probably buy another set for the basement. But for now, the old couch gets recycled so I can buy speakers...lol.

With that said, I finally decided to go for atmos. I spent the past few days reading about 5.1/7.1 being upmixed to atmos and everything was positive. That sealed the deal for me.

I'll post some pictures of my ceiling grid once the couch is downstairs for some feedback on the height channel placement. Also, what about the fronts? I know ideally an atmos setup should be using the same speakers for all channels, but M3's would look so minuscule in front for my FCL channels. I would prefer to have m60s and a vp160. Would that be determinantal to the setup or would it still sound great?

mikecoscia #423573 02/24/17 05:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
You can do that just fine for Atmos. Yes M3's all around would be the best atmos setup but I still believe in a proper center. And bookshelves in the rear is usually not practical.

M3's in ceilings for tops. Aim the tweeters to where you sit smile. M60's/vp160 up front, and go with a direct firing speaker in the rear like on wall or in wall...not qs8's. IMPORTANT - Keep the rear's at ear level. It'll sound great.

...and post pics! Room starting to look really good.

Looking at your pics, I'm thinking you are going to have the same issue I had, my pot lights are where my top speakers should be. I had to being them closer in, and it's not ideal.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12
Newf #423574 02/24/17 06:06 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By Newf
You can do that just fine for Atmos. Yes M3's all around would be the best atmos setup but I still believe in a proper center. And bookshelves in the rear is usually not practical.

M3's in ceilings for tops. Aim the tweeters to where you sit smile. M60's/vp160 up front, and go with a direct firing speaker in the rear like on wall or in wall...not qs8's. IMPORTANT - Keep the rear's at ear level. It'll sound great.

...and post pics! Room starting to look really good.

Looking at your pics, I'm thinking you are going to have the same issue I had, my pot lights are where my top speakers should be. I had to being them closer in, and it's not ideal.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. You think I should put the m3's directly behind the couch on the rear wall? I was going to get bookshelves on stands and place them in the corners like the 5.1.4 atmos recommended setup. Then aim them at the couch. If I ever decide to go 7.1.4 I can slide them to the sides of the couch and buy another pair for the rear. However, the rear wall is only like 2' from the back of the couch, might not even be worth it.

You are right with the height channels, the rear pots are in the perfect location for the rear heights. However, I could just slide the couch forward. I'll post more pictures tomorrow and see what everyone thinks. Thanks again for all the help!

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters