Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Re: MC's Basement HT
mikecoscia #423576 02/24/17 07:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have M60 fronts, VP180 center, and M3s for the 4 surrounds and 4 overheads. It works out really well.

For a 5.1.4 setup, I would put the 3 up front like normal, and the 2 surrounds should be to your sides slightly behind the listeners' heads.

The reasons for this are: 1) in a 5.1 setup, the surrounds are side surrounds, not rears, 2) if you place them directly to the sides of the listening areas, someone's head will block that side surround. By putting slightly behind, then there are no heads blocking the sound. Dispersion from the speakers should cover the listening area just fine.

Then just make a "box" around your listening area and put the overheads in those positions. In an Atmos 5.1.4 setup, the rear overheads can be slightly further back from the couch than the fronts are in front of the couch as you have almost no sound energy coming from back there.

If you want an Atmos/DTS:X setup (and why not, right?) Then you want to push the front overheads and rear overheads out a little more than Dolby spec. There IS an overlap between the Atmos and DTS:X spec, and you want to put them into that space. This holds true for 5.1.4 and 7.1.4

For a 7.1.4 setup, then I highly recommend putting the side surrounds slightly in front of the listening area. By slightly, we are talking 6-18 inches. Then the rears should go on the back wall, not in the corners, but more inline with the front L/R speakers. The reason for the side surrounds being slightly in front of the listening area are the same as above with not having one person's head blocking sound, but since you also have dedicated rear speakers, and rear overheads, putting the side surround forward just a touch helps to fill in the "gap" that exists between the front left/right speaker and the side surrounds. In many rooms, this gap is pretty big. That is why a lot of people liked the option of using front wide speakers when that because available years ago. It won't mess anything up, and works out very well even without Atmos/DTS:X content playing. There have been tons of real world tests and experiments on AVS about putting side surrounds forward of the listening space well before immersive audio even existed and the consensus is that it is a better/smoother soundfield.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
mikecoscia #423578 02/24/17 07:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Originally Posted By mikecoscia
Originally Posted By Newf
You can do that just fine for Atmos. Yes M3's all around would be the best atmos setup but I still believe in a proper center. And bookshelves in the rear is usually not practical.

M3's in ceilings for tops. Aim the tweeters to where you sit smile. M60's/vp160 up front, and go with a direct firing speaker in the rear like on wall or in wall...not qs8's. IMPORTANT - Keep the rear's at ear level. It'll sound great.

...and post pics! Room starting to look really good.

Looking at your pics, I'm thinking you are going to have the same issue I had, my pot lights are where my top speakers should be. I had to being them closer in, and it's not ideal.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. You think I should put the m3's directly behind the couch on the rear wall? I was going to get bookshelves on stands and place them in the corners like the 5.1.4 atmos recommended setup. Then aim them at the couch. If I ever decide to go 7.1.4 I can slide them to the sides of the couch and buy another pair for the rear. However, the rear wall is only like 2' from the back of the couch, might not even be worth it.

You are right with the height channels, the rear pots are in the perfect location for the rear heights. However, I could just slide the couch forward. I'll post more pictures tomorrow and see what everyone thinks. Thanks again for all the help!

As usual, me and Nick are in agreement.

AS for the bookshelves on stands...if you got the room...yeah. If I had the room, I'd do it. But my room is too narrow. Your idea will work fine. One thing with stands you can play with placement a lot easier. And bookshelves will sound way better than onwalls every time.

Last edited by Newf; 02/24/17 07:55 PM.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12
mikecoscia #423623 02/26/17 02:14 AM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Thanks guys! I am definitely going to go with 5.1.4 first. It is definitely easier, as I would have to get very creative with the side sides in a 7.1.4 setup. Not to mention, my couch is not very far from the wall, so rears might not benefit me anyway.

I moved my old couch into the basement today and took a few pictures. I marked speaker locations in red with what I think is the best locations. The room is only 10' wide and the couch around 90", so I can't put the heights too far off to the sides. The rear heights will also only be about a foot or two away from the rear bookshelves. Take a look and tell me what you think....

mikecoscia #423624 02/26/17 02:17 AM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Oh and in case you were wondering, here is the lovesac sactional that replaced my couch. I like it a lot. Definitely, think I am going to buy another for the theater eventually.

mikecoscia #423625 02/26/17 02:45 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Like a little ewok

mikecoscia #423627 02/26/17 03:35 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cute little bugger. The speaker layout looks good to my eyes and should be more than adequate.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #423628 02/26/17 03:55 AM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By brwsaw
Like a little ewok

Originally Posted By Socketman
Cute little bugger. The speaker layout looks good to my eyes and should be more than adequate.

Thanks. I know the rear heights are close to being overhead, but if I move them back they are directly over the rear speakers. I was unsure if I should move the front heights one panel closer to the screen to fill in the gap to the fronts speakers. But, it seems pretty close to dolby spec the way I drew it. Then again, I will probably be using DTS:X the majority of the time for it's upmixing of 5.1/7.1.

Yeah they are pretty damn cute and get away with murder because of it. That opening under the stairs will eventually turn into the image below for them. We are a bit obsessed, but I guess having dogs and no kids will do that to you...lol.

mikecoscia #423630 02/26/17 04:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nope its normal for a lot of dog owners, my girl is medium size but she gets to sleep on the bed and is spoiled though she is not allowed on furniture.

I think you need to understand that these are only guidelines set out by dolby and there is some room for change based on personal situations.I suspect part of the setup routine makes corrections for speaker placement during the measurements. I mean the speakers need to be in the same room not out on the porch lol.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
mikecoscia #423632 02/26/17 04:56 AM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Ours sleep with us as well. The brown guy, Chewie, actually needs to be under the covers and nestled next to my wife's stomach every night. He refuses to sleep anywhere else....lol.

I tend to get a little crazy with stuff...I also had waaay to much coffee tonight. Definitely not going to bed anytime soon. Just updated my sketchup drawings. The couch looks super far in the drawings for some reason, but the measurements are correct. I can probably slide it back 5-6 inches.

mikecoscia #423633 02/26/17 05:35 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I wish coffee did that for me, just makes pee too much TMI LOL. Stick with the dogs, much smarter than kids and cheaper. Your overhead sketch is good but the other one has no perspective. What are the room dimensions again. I really thing its going to be a great expereince and you should stop fussing grin

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020