Rate Thread
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Re: MC's Basement HT
mikecoscia #423643 02/26/17 03:29 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Not much to add other than the space is really looking sharp. I like all your choices so far. Nice work.

AAAA #423667 02/26/17 11:58 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By Socketman
I wish coffee did that for me, just makes pee too much TMI LOL. Stick with the dogs, much smarter than kids and cheaper. Your overhead sketch is good but the other one has no perspective. What are the room dimensions again. I really thing its going to be a great expereince and you should stop fussing grin

That's the plan! No kids, more dogs...lol. The half with the theater is 10'x13.5'. Still learning sketchup, I have to figure out how to make the walls transparent when taking screenshots.

Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
Not much to add other than the space is really looking sharp. I like all your choices so far. Nice work.

Thank you!

I'm going to start trimming next week. Never did it before, so going to take my time. Since it is a basement I am probably going to go with PVC....just in case. Planning on ordering the speakers in about a week or two. Figuring out if I am going to do it in one shot or in phases as things are now going to start getting expensive...lol.

Oh BTW nickboul, any reason you went with a VP180 instead of a VP160? I thought the VP160 was better to pair up with the M60s.

mikecoscia #423668 02/27/17 12:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Just a few comments. I like the 5.1.4 layout. It is too bad that the side surrounds couldn't be more, well, on the sides instead of back that far, but I think that Atmos calculations will work to surround you with great immersion since the overheads aren't directly over top of the surrounds. You should really like the effect.

As for the VP160 vs VP180 purchase....

When I pre-ordered the VP180 (for the special pre-order price) the VP160 wasn't even announced yet. So at the time, the only thing better than the VP150 was the VP180. Simple as that.

Funny thing is that when I pre-ordered, my current room wasn't even done. By the time I was ready to install speakers back into the room, the VP160 WAS out, but the return policy was gone, so I would have had to ship the VP180 back at my cost, get a "trade in" price for it, and have to buy the VP160. If I remember correctly, it would have cost me a few dollars to make the switch... Maybe $30-$50 total, plus the effort to do it.

I just kept the VP180 and never looked back. It does amazingly well, and my receivers that have powered it since I got it, both want to set it to a lower crossover than the other speakers (even the M60s) since it is so large. That allowed for great male vocal reproduction with my Onkyo receiver that I used to have, and now with the Anthem receiver it isn't as big of a deal since it does much more bass management, but again, it has not let me down.

If I knew that the VP160 was going to be coming back at the time, I would have probably bought that at the pre-order price and saved a couple hundred bucks and been just as happy.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
mikecoscia #423677 02/27/17 12:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I would try to separate your front and rear tops a little more ideally, but it's all a compromise. Having the rears directly overhead is not ideal. You are at a huge advantage over my roof as I had solid ceiling. All else fails you can swap tiles.

As for the dogs - cute, and I totally understand. We have no kids and our dog is spoiled too! He's my buddie for sure.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12
Newf #423678 02/27/17 03:10 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By nickbuol
Just a few comments. I like the 5.1.4 layout. It is too bad that the side surrounds couldn't be more, well, on the sides instead of back that far, but I think that Atmos calculations will work to surround you with great immersion since the overheads aren't directly over top of the surrounds. You should really like the effect.

As for the VP160 vs VP180 purchase....

When I pre-ordered the VP180 (for the special pre-order price) the VP160 wasn't even announced yet. So at the time, the only thing better than the VP150 was the VP180. Simple as that.

Funny thing is that when I pre-ordered, my current room wasn't even done. By the time I was ready to install speakers back into the room, the VP160 WAS out, but the return policy was gone, so I would have had to ship the VP180 back at my cost, get a "trade in" price for it, and have to buy the VP160. If I remember correctly, it would have cost me a few dollars to make the switch... Maybe $30-$50 total, plus the effort to do it.

I just kept the VP180 and never looked back. It does amazingly well, and my receivers that have powered it since I got it, both want to set it to a lower crossover than the other speakers (even the M60s) since it is so large. That allowed for great male vocal reproduction with my Onkyo receiver that I used to have, and now with the Anthem receiver it isn't as big of a deal since it does much more bass management, but again, it has not let me down.

If I knew that the VP160 was going to be coming back at the time, I would have probably bought that at the pre-order price and saved a couple hundred bucks and been just as happy.

I know they should be closer to the sides, but really no way to do it optimally. But I figure this setup, would sound better than a traditional 7.1 with my four QS8s on the ceiling. At least I hope so, that is my only worry.

Originally Posted By Newf
I would try to separate your front and rear tops a little more ideally, but it's all a compromise. Having the rears directly overhead is not ideal. You are at a huge advantage over my roof as I had solid ceiling. All else fails you can swap tiles.

As for the dogs - cute, and I totally understand. We have no kids and our dog is spoiled too! He's my buddie for sure.

Cute little guy! I really can't move the rears heights back any further as they would be directly over the rear surrounds. However, I can easily move the front heights another tile closer to the front. I'll just run enough wire to let me move things around. I ran wire for 7.1 with QS8s near the ceilings in mind, so I have to rerun things anyway. Thank god for the drop ceiling!

Last edited by mikecoscia; 02/27/17 03:11 PM.
mikecoscia #423710 02/28/17 07:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado
People who mount the rear surrounds high on walls are the only ones that need to worry about putting the ceiling top rears directly above them - which is wrong, I tried this as my qs8's were originally in that spot before adding ceiling m3's and it just doesn't work with Atmos. The most important thing is to keep your rear surrounds at ear level. Whether or not the top rears are above them isn't as big a deal. Your ear will be able to tell what is directly behind you, or directly behind and above. You have flexibility there to either move the fronts up, and move couch up a bit, or move rear's back a tile. Good luck

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12
mikecoscia #423893 03/06/17 05:26 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Started installing the trim this weekend! Went with pvc instead of wood. I don't have water issues, but you never know. I attached it using construction adhesives and screws. Hopefully, I never need to take it off...lol. The screws came with these cool plugs to cover each hole. However, I am not a fan of how they look. Think I am just going to fill them, sand, and paint the trim.

Also, I knew the floor was not level, but you can really tell with the trim installed. There is one spot with almost a 1/2" gap! I was thinking about using quarter round, but it would be a pain to attach. I would have to use adhesives (metal studs). So it looks like I will be using a lot of caulk.

My wife likes the white, but I think it would look better in black. May just do it and hope for forgiveness later...lol. I still have to trim the doors as well. I will probably get that done during the week.

mikecoscia #423897 03/07/17 12:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looks good , though i agree grey or black, as for the gaps no will be lookin down there in the dark and black baseboards wont show the gap as bad.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #423914 03/07/17 03:05 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By Socketman
Looks good , though i agree grey or black, as for the gaps no will be lookin down there in the dark and black baseboards wont show the gap as bad.

Good point! Maybe I'll just stuff some backer rod in there, it's black/gray anyway. Plus I can pull it out and remove a floor plank if I need too. Time to order speakers soon! I hope to order them next week. This is my current shopping cart....

M60 x2
VP160 x1
M3 Bookshelf x2
M3 In-Ceiling x4
EP600 x1
FMS160 Stand x1
FMS24 Stand x2

Getting everything from the factory outlet. Although they just upped the price of the factory outlet EP600, it was a few hundred cheaper last week....*sigh*

Last edited by mikecoscia; 03/07/17 03:08 PM.
mikecoscia #423917 03/07/17 07:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By mikecoscia
Although they just upped the price of the factory outlet EP600, it was a few hundred cheaper last week....*sigh*

There are 2 EP600's in the Refurb store, they would be a good buy.

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters