Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
women and remotes
#42532 04/21/04 01:18 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Is it just me or is the female gender incapable of figuring out how to use remotes. How many of you hear, "I can't get any sound" or "The sound doesn't match what's on TV" or "Why do you keep getting all this fancy stuff that I can't work"

Re: women and remotes
#42533 04/21/04 01:22 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
oh yea man, its a given. hell, even i get confused sometimes.. if it is getting to be a serious prob, there are several universal remotes, that make things much easier. i am not sure of any brand names, but ray might be able to help you out.. he has one that he really loves, wait for him to respond.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#42534 04/21/04 01:34 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I am not so sure it's just women in this case. Most people I know have trouble operating any (sufficiently interesting) theater system they did not set up. My girfriend was fine with it once I showed her how to change inputs and what everything was plugged into.

Now, if after repeated instruction they are still hopeless (and you don't want to cough up the dough for one of these) then type up a little crib-sheet and leave it on the coffee table.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#42535 04/21/04 01:46 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
this was a tongue in cheek post. I was having a discussion with a friend who was complaining about his wife and I was pretty much agreeing. I think it's all a matter of priorities.
I shouldn't talk much, I can tear apart a computer and rebuild it, but my vcr flashes 12.

#42536 04/21/04 02:25 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Sorry. I just have to laugh at anyone who can't program their VCR.

I also despise jokes about it. It's really not that difficult, people. These days, there's usually an on-screen display, just go in, dit dit dit, and you're done.

Besides, what's the point of a VCR if you have to turn it on to record stuff yourself?

/rant

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#42537 04/21/04 02:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yeah, I explained the concept of WAF to my girlfriend last night and she got a good laugh. Her general philosophy is that I can do whatever I want so long as it's not damaging to anyone. She loves cool electronics and thinks the more of them that I buy the better, because she'll get to use them. She also thinks the more tools I buy the better because I'll be able to fix more stuff when needed. She is a big fan of more sterile modern interior design, and thinks my M60s would be great pedestals for a pair of gargoyles. She gave me a list of things that would have an unacceptably low WAF if we were married, here's a few things from it:

Antique victorian furniture
Any furniture with gold accents
Pink
Anything upholstered in animal print

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#42538 04/21/04 03:18 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Andy,

Based on your WAF listing, I will need to replace everything in my family room! Except the shag carpeting, lava lamp and life size statue of Tiny Tim.

In defense of the distaff side (and let's include guests, baby sitters and children) and remotes, when multiple remotes are involved and the requisite time hasn't been spent with manuals and understanding how multiple components work, it is certainly difficult to manage all of the correct buttons to be pushed in sequence. When you move to a single universal remote, which you can spend hours programming for yourself, the complexity can become more difficult. I chose a Home Theater MX-700 remote for the above reasons and was able to set it up to make it very easy for my wife to navigate. This enhanced her enjoyment and eliminated the need for me to be a "personal remote control technician".

#42539 04/21/04 04:15 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ray,

I checked out that remote you speak of... the thing is a beast! I am sorely in need of a good universal remote as I currently have 5 remotes on my coffee table, but I think what you have is more than I will need for quite a while.

As for the gf's decorating tastes, it works well for me. I'm a fan of earth-tone solid colored furniture (and darker wood tones), white walls, hardwood floors, and stainless steel.

#42540 04/21/04 05:14 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Ooh, the misogyny! Somewhere in Bizarro world there is an Axiom forum full of women complaining about men and the toilet seat.

My bet is that Amie can not only figure out the remotes in her house, but could probably set speaker levels blindfolded.

And maybe it's the type of women these guys date? I've never had a S.O. that couldn't figure out anything technical I brought in the house.

Bren R.

#42541 04/22/04 03:27 AM
devotee
devotee
My best friend once dated the kind of woman that I wanted to marry.

She worked at a really fancy restaurant. She had borrowed his car one day, and it broke down on her way home from work. She called up, told him what parts AND what tools he needed to bring to get her going.

Him and I went out to rescue her. Damn, she looked hot on the side of the road in that evening gown and high heels bent over the fender of that 64 Impala convertible. We pulled up, and she comes out from under the hood with grease up to her elbows, and all over her face. It was one of the funniest, and sexiest sights that I have ever seen. She really knew cars from hanging with us while we were working on our cars at the track when we raced on Friday nights. You gotta love a woman that will get under the hood with you. My kind of wench.

I just got smacked in the back of the head for that one. I guess I won't get my oil checked tonight... Ouch! got smacked again!

I forgot to mention. She could also set the time on the VCR using the remote...

Last edited by Michael_A; 04/22/04 03:37 AM.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup