Lol

Re: MC's Basement HT
mikecoscia #425314 05/01/17 01:25 AM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Haha, thanks guys. However, hold your applause. All I managed to finish this weekend was the wall plates and ordering my projector screen. Although, I did temporarily connect the in-ceilings to an old receiver and listened to some music. Speakers sounded great! grin This is the screen I picked up...

92" Silver Ticket Thin Bezel White Screen

Oh, my tax returns finally came in too, so I'll be ordering the Denon AVR-X6300H soon!

mikecoscia #425318 05/01/17 09:30 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Nice!!

mikecoscia #425494 05/10/17 02:54 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Installed the screen this Sunday! Only took me 6 hours...lol. I got the entire thing together only to realize I missed installing a small angle bracket in each corner. So, I had to remove the bezel and the entire screen to get to the frame again. Ah well, it's up and no wrinkles!

The hardest part was keeping it level. It mounts on four small brackets, two on top and two on the bottom. If my drop ceiling was perfectly level it would have been fine. Of course, it is off slightly. I ended up sticking my magnetic level on the ceiling grid, shimming the one end and cutting a wood block to butt up against it for each of the top bracket locations. I then hung the screen and traced the bottom for the bottom brackets. Unfortunately, the screen looks slightly crooked because the floor and ceiling are not level. Can’t tell when the lights are off though. I’m sure it will look better when I level the center channel with the adjustment feet.

I did a quick alignment with the projector on the screen. I still have to replace the ceiling tiles near it, so didn’t go crazy. However, I did notice one issue. It looks like the projected image is not filling the screen entirely. The projector displays a grid when adjusting the lens focus, zoom, and shift functions. If I align the sides of the grid to the edge of the screen, the top 1” and bottom 1” of the screen are unlit. If I zoom out to make the projected image larger and fill in the vertical space, the sides then spill out onto the wall. It’s almost as if the projector or the screen are not a true 16:9. I did tilt the projector and use an excessive amount of keystoning. I am going to relevel it and trying using the image shift exclusively. Keystoning digital manipulates the image anyway and I should be avoiding it if possible. Taking a trip down to FL tomorrow for a few days, so it will have to wait until I get back next week.

I’ll wrap up the projector next weekend, then it’s time to buy the receiver and start wiring everything up. Getting close to a functional room!

mikecoscia #425741 06/06/17 01:48 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Hey guys, it's been a while since my last update. I have been busy and haven't had a lot of time to work on the theater. However, I did managed to get a few things done....

I finished all the wiring for the projector and put the tiles back in place. I also managed to fix my issue with the image not filling the screen entirely. Turned out keystone was causing some weird geometry issues. So I turned it to zero and just used lens shift to move everything around. Worked perfectly.

However, I decided to move my side surrounds up more and I didn't like the speaker wire along the floor to the back wall behind the couch. So I removed some ceiling tiles again and ran two new wires to a blank plate next to the right arm of the couch. This way I can hide the speaker wires under the couch.

The speakers don't look terrible there and I figure they will be hidden even more if I ever decided to put a curtain up under the beam to divide the room. It also gives me room for rear surrounds. Not sure if they would of benefit though, as the couch is pretty close to the wall. Any suggestions? Do you think it's worth it to get another two M3's for 7.4.1? I don't expect a major improvement, just don't want to lose channel separation with the sides and rears being so close.

I also finally picked up my receiver this weekend. A Denon X6300H. eek

I started to wire things up on Saturday afternoon. I wasn't able to finish as I had a few birthday parties to attend this weekend. But I did mange to temporarily wire what I couldn't terminate to test out the receiver and verify everything works correctly. I used a Roku Ultra to stream some 4k content. The image looked and sounded great! Even my wife commented on the picture quality. Can't wait to play a 4k blu-ray with Atmos.

Oh I just about finished the dog house as well. It just needs a sign now. grin

On a side note, I had some issues with the pull out rack. I had to really play with the positions of the components to keep the frame from rubbing the wall when it was pulled out. Everything was perfectly square until I added the receiver. I basically had to loosen all the attachment screws and slide each component ever so slightly to the left or right and re-tighten them in a specific order. I managed to correct the issue and get a perfect 1/8" all around. Hopefully it stays in position as I add more components.

Wiring is a bit of a challenge as well. Everything has to be in the right position for the rack to slide and rotate. In hindsight, I should have left much longer whips to make things easier.

I also had a slight issue with humidity the one day. It rose up to about 65%, which isn't terrible, but I would like it lower. Upstairs was around 54% at the time. I connected my dehumidifier and it dropped down to 42% within two hours. So adding the one HVAC register and return definitely helped, but it might not be enough on real humid days. Not a big deal, I'll just hook up the dehumidifier to a smart plug and have it turn on and off when ever I am watching something. The only annoying issue is the door hiding my water meter started sticking. So I am going to have to pop it off the hinges and shave it down a bit....joy.

All in all, getting super close to wrapping things up. I just need to finish wiring everything and buy a few more components (PS4, Xbox, Blu-ray Player, etc). Then it's just a matter of decorating!

mikecoscia #425776 06/10/17 12:54 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I like that you can tailor each sub's trim and delay individually then globally set trim offset as a pair to tune to the rest of the system levels. The 6300 seems like a very capable choice. Your room looks great.

mikecoscia #425805 06/14/17 01:53 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Thanks! I am liking the x6300 so far, sounds great. Although, I have to turn it up to at least 60% for decent listening levels, 75+ if I want it loud.

I finished terminating all speaker wires and routing it them to their permanent locations. Waiting until I pick up an 8 port switch and cablebox before finishing up the ethernet and coax.

I added my Sonos (controls outside speakers) and picked up a procool fan kit to keep the rack cool. I plan on picking up a Panasonic ub900 and another PS4 Pro next. The ub900 is supposed to play nice with the 5040ub.

I really think I am going to pick up the extra pair of M3's and stands for the rears. I have the space, so why not. However, I will definitely need a couch with a lower back.

Last edited by mikecoscia; 06/14/17 01:54 PM.
mikecoscia #425807 06/14/17 02:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow, looks really great! My HT is feeling very primitive after seeing all the quality work you & others are progressing on! smile

Looks like you have the Sonos Amp in your rack - I'd expect to see the Connect (not the Amp) feeding your 6300 - is the Sonos Amp feeding a separate zone somewhere?

Cheers,

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
mikecoscia #425810 06/14/17 11:52 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
You can change the input's source "sensitivity" in the denon audio setup menu. Its in the digital domain, so not really sensitivity I guess. The new Bell Fiber Op boxes are really quiet compared to other sources. Handy feature for biasing quiet sources like this. A workaround I guess. Not ideal.

AAAA #425815 06/15/17 05:47 PM
M
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
M
Originally Posted By cb919
Wow, looks really great! My HT is feeling very primitive after seeing all the quality work you & others are progressing on! smile

Looks like you have the Sonos Amp in your rack - I'd expect to see the Connect (not the Amp) feeding your 6300 - is the Sonos Amp feeding a separate zone somewhere?

Cheers,

Thanks! The Connect AMP is actually feeding the speakers around my pool. It has nothing to do with the theater. The rack was just a convenient place to put it.

Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
You can change the input's source "sensitivity" in the denon audio setup menu. Its in the digital domain, so not really sensitivity I guess. The new Bell Fiber Op boxes are really quiet compared to other sources. Handy feature for biasing quiet sources like this. A workaround I guess. Not ideal.

Oh okay, I'll have to take a look. I haven't really done much in the way of calibrations yet. I ran Audyssey real quick and left everything else to default. I planned on playing around with it this weekend.

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters