AxiomAir as a Whole System
#426580 09/14/17 06:30 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Over the past nine months we have been working on an expanded line of wireless products. The focus has been on wireless stereo products that make an entire 2.1 system. The system would consist of a pair of speakers with the amplifiers built in and a small box (pictured below) that contains the AxiomAir computer, WiFi receiver, an optical input, a line level input, the High Res DAC, and the transmitter. All of our Subwoofers would be available with a wireless receiver so they could be added to your audio system by just plugging them into a wall outlet. The entire system would be controlled from the AxiomAir interface.

Our thinking is the optical input would be used for your TV’s optical output so selecting TV on the AxiomAir interface would send the audio from your TV wirelessly to your speaker system. The Analog input could be for any other piece of equipment you may want to plug in, like the pre-amp box from your turntable.

We are thinking that our models M3, M5HP, M80, M100, LFR880, and LFR1100 (and all our Subwoofers) all have good potential for this type of product. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at having three amplifier levels available: a 50-watt amplifier built into each M3, a 200-watt amplifier built into each M5HP, and a 500-watt amplifier built into each Floorstander. The LFR models would have the DSP built into each speaker also thereby making the LFR series plug (into the wall)-and-play just like the other Floorstander models.

We will also have an optional box that could be plugged into this module for Karaoke. This box would contain our Karaoke module including our feedback killer, and either two or four wireless microphones.

Your comments on these new product concepts would be greatly appreciated.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Re: AxiomAir as a Whole System
Ian #426582 09/14/17 09:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Let me see if I have the complete picture:

1. The speakers are both powered and with wireless receivers?
If yes, then 1a) Are they only compatible with AA or with 3rd party wireless transmitters?

2. The "AA box" would NOT be usable as as cheaper version of the stand alone AA (compared to the expensive metal chassis currently offered)?

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #426584 09/15/17 06:21 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
You got ahead of me. The two products you are referring to are also part of this project.

1. The product in my post is an AxiomAir based product as it has the micro computer and can be controlled from the AxiomAir interface. We will however be releasing a small transmitter that's sole purpose is to connect to an existing RCA output on a receiver/pre-amp; thereby connecting the powered speakers, including the subwoofers, wirelessly to your receiver/pre-amp.

2. This chassis will also be used to house a much less expensive version of the current RP1 which allows one of the inputs on your main system to become an AxiomAir.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #426592 09/17/17 02:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Probably could say a lot about this idea but the first two things off the top of my head:
1) people who want to pick the amp/receiver that powers their speakers won't go for this
2) it would have to perform FLAWLESSLY (picture any bug in the software, control app, wireless dropouts b/c someone turns on a microwave--yes my wifi drops in parts of the house when our m/wave gets turned on....). I also mention this as we have a Sonos system which is affected by various situations in which it becomes aggravating when it fails.
For our home theatre and costs to build/maintain it, this is 100% unacceptable.

Not trying to be negative, just critical thinking.

Last edited by chesseroo; 09/17/17 02:11 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Ian #426595 09/17/17 02:58 AM
local
local
This seems like a really, cool idea!

I just keep thinking there's something missing...

Now I've got it. A robot head. Every AxiomAir wireless mesh system needs a robot head!!

It seems like you'd need a better name for this product though...

Ian #426596 09/17/17 04:59 AM
devotee
devotee
Ideally I'm after pair of Powered Book Shelf speakers that I can stream to (DLNA, Airplay, and Chromecast) as well as have a DAC and Analogue input.

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
Ian #426597 09/17/17 05:26 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I'm not sure I see the need for this type of package.
If it was a axiom air type set up (battery powered) with a pair of M5's maybe...I could get excited about that.
If its for around home I would likely use 2 channels from an existing avr or purchase a dedicated avr and run with it.
Bluetooth would be an obvious downside, having control over wifi would be a plus but I think you have that covered already.
It did get me thinking about outdoor subwoofers and outdoor in wall M5's.
I need to start purchasing lottery tickets again.

Ian #426600 09/17/17 07:21 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I like the sound of the setup, even if I don't have a use for it. Just for clarification on the subwoofers, though, would these be new iterations of the subwoofer amps with the wireless capability built-in, or would the wireless receiver be a dongle that can be added to existing subwoofers? Also, how many subs can be managed in the system? Just one, or would you be able to run multiple subs?

Ian #426602 09/17/17 02:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As it has been mentioned once or twice already, be very careful with wireless products. Alas, not a 100% solution that works in ALL circumstances, but the following guidelines can save you customer troubles (I sat for a few years as observer on the 802.11 committee and this was a common topic).

1. As much as possible support BOTH 2.4 and 5.8 bands; surprising how they get into different and unpredictable types of interference with other products regardless if you use Wi-Fi or non-Wi-Fi protocols [I have point-to-point audio relays at 5G that kills wi-fi networks and were therefore returned to manufacturer with 'carefully' worded explanations]

2. As much as possible, use 802.11 direct (not the embarrassing driver available for free in Linux boxes). "Miracast" is an excellent example of streaming protocol that works WITH a wi-fi network and not against it. That way, collisions and network thrashing can easily be avoided.

3. Exploit the fact that you can have as many wi-fi connections as you want with a wi-fi adapter. The limitation of ONE connection comes from lazy driver remapping of existing 802.3 networks (LAN) to offer TCP/IP over wi-fi. Not sure about open source linux drivers that can do that, but Windows has removed that limitation since Windows 7 (not made very visible to users to avoid confusing them, but it's there anyway and they use for fast media streaming).
==>> This means that, there are NO technical reasons why the AA cannot have BOTH hotspot mode and network mode at the same time... apart from possibly challenging linux driver work which may or may not be outside the existing skill set of your software development team.

4. If you are using TCP/IP network (802.3 artificial mapping of 802.11 associations), use UDP over TCP for streaming. Losing ONE packet is nothing (inaudible) compared of the stuttering caused by repeating entire sequences because of TCP re transmits of last 6-7 packets which can cause very audible "pops" or worse, stuttering.

See Mojo's signature
CV #426606 09/17/17 07:54 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi CV,

Our plan was to build the module into our subwoofers but I don't see any reason we couldn't have a separate receiver box for use with our existing subwoofers. Multiple subwoofers can be run from the system.

Ian Colquhoun
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082