Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: AxiomAir as a Whole System
EFalardeau #426613 09/18/17 01:54 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Hi Eric,

All good points, but I should clarify that the wireless link we are talking about for these new products has nothing to do with the AxiomAir system, the Pi, or WiFi. We are using a proprietary system that runs on the 2.4GHz band but is not WiFi. It is a robust system that happily co-exists with WiFi, has excellent error correction, fidelity, and features frequency hopping to minimize issues with interference. You can think of the AxiomAir section to be independent of the wireless broadcast, and we will be looking at offering the system without AxiomAir capability for those who'd like the option of a wireless subwoofer or wireless stereo speakers, sourced from an existing device or system.

Andrew

Originally Posted By EFalardeau
As it has been mentioned once or twice already, be very careful with wireless products. Alas, not a 100% solution that works in ALL circumstances, but the following guidelines can save you customer troubles (I sat for a few years as observer on the 802.11 committee and this was a common topic).

1. As much as possible support BOTH 2.4 and 5.8 bands; surprising how they get into different and unpredictable types of interference with other products regardless if you use Wi-Fi or non-Wi-Fi protocols [I have point-to-point audio relays at 5G that kills wi-fi networks and were therefore returned to manufacturer with 'carefully' worded explanations]

2. As much as possible, use 802.11 direct (not the embarrassing driver available for free in Linux boxes). "Miracast" is an excellent example of streaming protocol that works WITH a wi-fi network and not against it. That way, collisions and network thrashing can easily be avoided.

3. Exploit the fact that you can have as many wi-fi connections as you want with a wi-fi adapter. The limitation of ONE connection comes from lazy driver remapping of existing 802.3 networks (LAN) to offer TCP/IP over wi-fi. Not sure about open source linux drivers that can do that, but Windows has removed that limitation since Windows 7 (not made very visible to users to avoid confusing them, but it's there anyway and they use for fast media streaming).
==>> This means that, there are NO technical reasons why the AA cannot have BOTH hotspot mode and network mode at the same time... apart from possibly challenging linux driver work which may or may not be outside the existing skill set of your software development team.

4. If you are using TCP/IP network (802.3 artificial mapping of 802.11 associations), use UDP over TCP for streaming. Losing ONE packet is nothing (inaudible) compared of the stuttering caused by repeating entire sequences because of TCP re transmits of last 6-7 packets which can cause very audible "pops" or worse, stuttering.

Ian #426614 09/18/17 06:03 PM
veteran
veteran
I'm trying to determine if this is something I would need/use and I'm struggling to give this an enthusiastic thumbs up frown

Full disclosure, I already have a 4 zone SONOS setup and I have several Chromecast dongles around the house. Each has their positives but they also have their negatives.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of like what you are proposing but...

1) I'm not sure I want another wifi repeater like tower/device lying around for which I have to hide the wires. If you could somehow make a unit that can draw power from a TV's USB port (like the chromecast) and is small/flat enough to tuck in behind the TV... that would peak my interest... That said, as a unit comparable to a SONOS Connect, I'd be ok with that, especially if it isn't white!

2) The one reason I don't own a Sonos PlayBar is due to lack of HDMI connectivity. Optical will limit you to 5.1 if ever you want to expand this offering (Axiom is, after all, a Home Theater leader wink ).

3) The best unit, in my opinion, in my SONOS system is the Connect:AMP. A 50wpc 2ch unit that allows me to power any pair of speakers and stream music. What would be awesome though, would be 1-ch 25/100/250watt units that can be paired in any configuration (2.1, 5.1, 5.2.2!). I'd compromise finding wall outlets for shorter speaker wire runs...

4) Related to the point above, if you incorporated the above units into your existing speaker line as an option and for less than buying the two separately, that could work better for people with existing speakers not ready to trade in yet... I'm not sure I'd be willing to trade in my Totem's for a pair of M60's with Axiom Air integration just yet wink

Last edited by TDIPablo; 09/18/17 06:10 PM.
Andrew #426617 09/18/17 09:53 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Originally Posted By Andrew
You can think of the AxiomAir section to be independent of the wireless broadcast, and we will be looking at offering the system without AxiomAir capability for those who'd like the option of a wireless subwoofer or wireless stereo speakers, sourced from an existing device or system.

Ooh, I would love to make my subwoofers wireless. If I could simply have a subwoofer control box that hooks up to the subwoofer output(s) of my receiver, along with wireless receivers for each of my subs, that would be my ideal. If a remote control for the box could select and deselect which subs are active, along with the ability to adjust volume levels, that would make the calibration process that much easier. Even more ideal would be the ability to power up and power down the subwoofers entirely with a remote. Not sure how much all of this functionality would cost, but hey, may as well put my wish list in.

TDIPablo #426618 09/18/17 09:56 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi TDIPablo,

1) This box is designed to fit behind your TV. I does require a wall outlet but the presumption is that one is there for the TV.

2) We don't have any plans currently for a Surround Sound version of this. Our thinking is that most people will wire their theatre system with speaker wires as the surround channels normally do not have AC nearby. This said an amp box like you are mentioning in 3) could have a lot of benefit for some surround channel installations.

3) This is a likely future product for this project for the reasons you mentioned.

4) The price point of the combined speaker/amp combo will be less than the separates.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Cohesion #426620 09/18/17 10:18 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Cohesion,

Very cool idea! I think we would have to call that an AirHead. Perhaps we should mock one up over the next few weeks and start a new thread about what it could do.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
CV #426621 09/18/17 11:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By CV
Originally Posted By Andrew
You can think of the AxiomAir section to be independent of the wireless broadcast, and we will be looking at offering the system without AxiomAir capability for those who'd like the option of a wireless subwoofer or wireless stereo speakers, sourced from an existing device or system.

Ooh, I would love to make my subwoofers wireless.

I second that idea. Given most subs already have its own power source (no other personal amp selection needed), eliminating a cable or two is always a plus.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Ian #426633 09/19/17 05:25 PM
veteran
veteran
Thanks for the clarification Ian, the picture made it look like a larger unit.

If I didn't already have a Sonos investment, I'd certainly be interested. I like the fact that with Axiom proposed solution, the speaker lineup would certainly be better than the Play:1:3:5.

However, if you could jump the queue and offer a Sonos Connect like device with HDMI input, a Dolby/DTS codec module, and pairing capabilities for 5.1, 7.1, and even 5.2.2... so I could stream Netflix/Amazon and allowing me to ditch a receiver and DVD/BluRay player... I'd seriously consider that. I suspect this would also be popular amongst the condo/apartment crowd where space is a premium and ability to setup a surround sound home theater is difficult seeing they can't run speaker wires through walls.

Ian #426739 09/29/17 04:02 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
On the wireless products I'd like to see a single speaker Air (M3). Then a pair would play stereo. My use would be to have portable music which can be moved around the house and yard with decent imaging (like hanging out on the deck). I imagine that this concept could be extended for surround if someone really wanted ... but I'd have no interest in that.

On the bigger speakers I'm not sure WIFI makes sense ... now if your taking internal amplification ... That would be interesting ... just a run from the pre-amp/processor to the speaker. I also wondered if a speaker could be made better with an amp for each driver and lettingr a DSP do the crossover. I bet you could even tweak the parameters to dial in each speaker in the factory ... automatically of course. In any case given a speaker with an amp the WIFI part can be a small add-on the user could buy

Last edited by rrlev; 09/29/17 04:24 AM.
rrlev #426740 09/29/17 04:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
One more thing ... if a sub is plugged in to an air then the DSP should adjust what's going to air's speakers automatically.

I find my air a bit boomy indoors with or with out a sub. It's understandable as you can only get so much from that small of a volume and the air is trying be a lot of things in a lot of situations.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters