Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Think it's time to check out
MMM #428295 01/16/18 08:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Here is one for ya trevor. And for whats it worth i dont believe in magic wire lifters or fancy interconnects just so you know where my head is at.

For a while now i have felt that my right speaker was louder than my left speaker. I tried all the usual stuff, moved the speakers, switched channels on amp etc and i wrote it off to being more deaf in the left ear than the right. I have 2 amps, XPA 3 and XPA 5 and they are side by side on a entertainment unit. One day i decided to put my front L +R onto the XPA 3 , after that i realized that the left channel now seemed to stand out more im like wtf. So time went by and i have sold my XPA 3 so i had to move the L+R back the the XPA 5 yesterday. Well as im reconnecting things it occurs to me that one speaker wire is longer than the other and i had swapped them since the XPA 3 is closer to one speaker than the other and the speaker wires did not reach. The speaker wire was only 18g so i went to my cable closet and got out my 14g speaker wire and cut 2 equal length ,tinned the wires and put on my banana plugs and hooked everything up to the XPA 5, and now everything seems perfectly balanced. Have i just been schooled after 30 plus years of audio. This was never a problem in my previous home and only started in this house which is where i installed the 18 gauge wire ,whereas the old house i had 14g. Never to old to learn i guess.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #428298 01/16/18 10:45 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I probably have left over blue jeans belden #10. How long are your runs?

Mojo #428299 01/16/18 11:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Mojo
Originally Posted By craigsub
Maybe we need to start posting pictures of half naked women again.

When did "we" do that?

Mojo, buddy, you can't tell me you forget Teri's thread that I started! Speaking of my beloved bestie Teri, she's living a spoiled life of worldwide travel through her successful travel agency business. Here's one example of her exclusive trips available (warning - she may be in a bikini at some point in the video).

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
MMM #428300 01/16/18 11:58 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Cam! You're back! Is Teri the one who was a fixture on your avatar in days gone by?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
AAAA #428301 01/17/18 01:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Serenity_now
I probably have left over blue jeans belden #10. How long are your runs?

Thanks for the offer, i had some good stuff in the closet just being frugal. I really have to take a look at the other stuff see if i can see and issue with it.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #428303 01/17/18 02:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So i sat in my favorite chair and i interrogated the offending piece of wire and i couldnt see anything that raised concern. So while i was staring at the ends where i soldered i realized something. I use Nakamichi banana plugs and it has 2 set screws. When i made these wires up i only bared and soldered enough of the wire to make contact with the lower screw the upper screw compressed the plastic casing which i discovered had crushed the wire and broke the strands. As mgbpuff pointed out the fluke was of no use since even one strand would provide continuity,the real test would have been a voltage drop test but i found the trouble before having to get that carried away. I see this far too often when diagnosing at work where some clown has shoved his big ass canadian tire test lite through the casing of a wire and then left it unprotected and corrosion sets in. At the very least a dab of silicon will prevent this.

Anywho , mystery solved and lesson learned.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #428305 01/17/18 05:12 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I thank you all for the knowledge I've learned in the last few years.
As we get to the point of marginal improvements in our set ups its somewhat logical to become bored and find other means of entertainment rousing or bragging. Having fun

This forum tends to have more knowledgeable folk than most of the fanboys bragging their entry level stuff is the best in sum places. Let alone the threads on complete room builds and speaker builds {thank you for your most recent ones Trevor}

On a plus note these techs change relatively quick so newer tricks and such stay relevant.

Mojo #428309 01/17/18 09:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Mojo
Cam! You're back! Is Teri the one who was a fixture on your avatar in days gone by?

Hmmmmm, I don't recall that. Maybe you're mistaking her for Che smile ?

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters