Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Spotify Connect Plugin
#426680 09/24/17 06:55 AM
jmone Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I see over at Volumio there is a Spotify Connect Plugin. Any thoughts on including this in the AA?
Thanks
Nathan

PS - I also did try to cheat and load the plugin but the "...\plugin-manager" web page is not present on the AA wink

Last edited by jmone; 09/24/17 06:55 AM.

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
Re: Spotify Connect Plugin
jmone #426710 09/27/17 09:42 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Yes, we are working on Spotify Connect right now. We have all the licensing part all done and just need to finish the coding.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
jmone #428352 01/21/18 07:39 PM
A
regular
regular
A
Ian - do you have any updates on this?

Barring Axiom support for this, do you have a list of anything special you did to the underlying Volumio installation to support the Axiom Air hardware? I'm not opposed to doing a fresh install of Volumio (to get plugin support) if I can get it to support the hardware (GPIO, DAC, etc).

Ian #428514 01/31/18 12:09 PM
A
regular
regular
A
I'm still curious if there's any official progress on the Spotify plugin.

As an update to my previous post, I managed to get most everything working with a standard volumio install on a different SD card. The only sticking point for now seems to be that volume control doesn't work (stuck at 100%) despite modifying the mpd.conf in volumio_current.sqsh to reflect what's in the Axiom install:

Code:
# Audio Output ################################################################
audio_output {
	type		"alsa"
	name		"alsa"
	device		"volume"
}

audio_output {
    type            "fifo"
    enabled         "no"
    name            "multiroom"
    path            "/tmp/snapfifo" 
    format          "44100:16:2"
    mixer_type      "software"
}

Is anyone at Axiom able to let me know what else I might be missing?

jmone #428515 01/31/18 02:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm curious. Are you modifying the software installation on the product and expecting Axiom to waste time fixing what you did wrong?

See Mojo's signature
aadev #428516 01/31/18 04:19 PM
local
local
Originally Posted By aadev
I'm still curious if there's any official progress on the Spotify plugin.

As an update to my previous post, I managed to get most everything working with a standard volumio install on a different SD card. The only sticking point for now seems to be that volume control doesn't work (stuck at 100%) despite modifying the mpd.conf in volumio_current.sqsh to reflect what's in the Axiom install:

Code:
# Audio Output ################################################################
audio_output {
	type		"alsa"
	name		"alsa"
	device		"volume"
}

audio_output {
    type            "fifo"
    enabled         "no"
    name            "multiroom"
    path            "/tmp/snapfifo" 
    format          "44100:16:2"
    mixer_type      "software"
}

Is anyone at Axiom able to let me know what else I might be missing?

Hi aadev,

Your project is quite interesting! Could you please confirm that you used the current 'GA' release of Volumio? And are you now using the Volumio web app for volume control or the AxiomAir version of same? Are you able to select the analogue input on the AxiomAir and if so how? Did you manually configure one of the Volumio-supported DACs and if so which one?

In case it helps, please be advised that the only way to control the volume for an 'external' source such as Spotify would be to use the volume control on the remote app (either AxiomAir or Volumio, whichever is working for you). The hardware volume knob on the AxiomAir itself only works for analogue sources.

Good luck!

Mike

EFalardeau #428517 01/31/18 04:25 PM
local
local
Originally Posted By EFalardeau
I'm curious. Are you modifying the software installation on the product and expecting Axiom to waste time fixing what you did wrong?

Hey Eric!

It seems to be a somewhat open secret that the AxiomAir is based upon open source technology (like Linux) and even semi-open source hardware (Raspberry Pi). I don't think it's unreasonable for owners of the AxiomAir to want to work on some of this themselves, and one never knows when this and other community efforts might even help move Axiom's development work along!

Best regards,

Mike

EFalardeau #428520 01/31/18 07:50 PM
A
regular
regular
A
Originally Posted By EFalardeau

I'm simply trying to do the work myself while we wait on official support of Spotify as indicated above by Ian. I obviously can't force (or expect) Axiom to do anything for me other than to honor the warranty on the device I purchased. Any help in these forums is outside of that contract and purely out of good will. If someone wants to help, or announce official Spotify support, that's great. If they don't want to help that's unfortunate, but certainly within their rights. I'm not sure where anyone in this thread expressed a demand or even an expectation, but if that's how my inquiry was taken it wasn't my intent.

Cohesion #428521 01/31/18 08:01 PM
A
regular
regular
A
Mike,

Yes, I used the GA release of volumio from their webpage. It worked out of the box without any modification - I chose the HiFiBerry DAC in the first-time startup wizard. The only missing piece, as I mentioned, is the software volume control in the volumio web UI (you can adjust it, but it has no effect on the output volume and when the next websocket update comes around it gets reset to 100%). I have not tried to use the analog input - for my purposes everything is encoded in FLAC on a NAS or via Spotify - so the analog input and volume control aren't really applicable.

I tried to replace the Audio section in mpd.conf as I mentioned in my previous post, but that didn't seem to resolve the issue. Perhaps I chose the wrong DAC or am missing some other piece of information. For what it's worth, the default Axiom /boot/config.txt is what references the HiFiBerry DAC:
Code:
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,pcf2127
dtparam=i2c1=on
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=act_led_trigger=none
dtparam=act_led_activelow=off
dtparam=pwr_led_trigger=none
dtparam=pwr_led_activelow=off
initramfs volumio.initrd max_usb_current=1 force_turbo=1 gpu_mem=16

aadev #428524 01/31/18 09:51 PM
local
local
Hi aadev,

Thanks very much for this information! As it happens, I'm starting something of a skunkworks RaspberryPi project myself. Since I also have an AxiomAir I thought I might have a look at the RaspberryPi in it and see how it works -- including trying to get standard Volumio running on it!

There are multiple versions of the HiFiBerry DAC that work with Volumio. It appears that the one that is most similar to the Axiom DAC in the AxiomAir is actually the HiFiBerry DAC+ Light -- it has no extra hardware volume control. It's not clear from what you've written but the "HiFiBerry DAC" that you mentioned is most likely the HiFiBerry DAC+ Standard, which actually does have its own integrated hardware volume control. With your MacGyver-ed configuration, the problem most likely is that the Volumio UI is trying to send volume control commands to a hardware volume control in a DAC that isn't actually included on the AxiomAir at all.

Just to clarify further, are you saying that based on your current setup you can play music from either Spotify or your NAS on the AxiomAir but only at max volume in both cases?

Have you saved the original image from the AxiomAir RPi card?

And finally, just to be clear, I haven't tested any of this myself yet. I think it would be safe to try changing your Volumio configuration to correspond to the HiFiBerry DAC+ Light and see if that allows you to adjust the volume properly from the Volumio UI -- assuming nothing has been fried in the AxiomAir by what you've done so far, I can't think of any reason why one more minor change would cause an issue.

However, I'm not a hardware engineer! Perhaps Ian or Andrew will be along at some point to warn us of the error in our ways. If not, I'll keep you posted as I get to try a few things myself!

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andrew, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020