Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Denon 3802, H/K 520, or Marantz 5200?
#4277 04/09/03 06:40 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Say Saturn, you mentioned before that you had purchased these IRD amps, right ? You bought 4 or 5 of them ? I've been going back to their web site from time to time, and this is partly the reason I have become interested in a pair of additional amps.. Just for the mains at present..
Are you still having success with them ? They living up to all your expectations ? Any problems or concerns ? Thks..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#4278 04/09/03 08:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Mikey;

Someone else has bought them in a 5 mono block setup. I myself will only get 3 to power the fronts. I did not get them yet. Kinda waiting till my new place is ready. Nov'03. But I will be getting from this place. It is the distribution place for IRD products. I called them up and also emailed them and it seemed everything is okey and checked. I always hate internet orders so I always double check the address and phone number on local listings.

http://buffaloelectronics.com/

Heres a paste on an email

We do not have distributors in Canada for our MB-100.

They are $499.00US$ per pair and limited stock (about 30 in stock)
Selling about 8 per week. (More enroute)

Shipping costs : Fed-Ex International Ground to Toronto is around $39.00US$.
1 box, 50 pounds, insured (2 units)
Generally little or no duty, for which the receiver is responsible. (worst case 2%)

Larry

Best Regards,
Larry Beach
Operations Manager

Buffalo Electronics, Inc.
1001-D West Tremont Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28203

E-mail: Larry@buffaloelectronics.com
Phone : (704) 375-3445
Orders: (888) 822-2410
Fax : (888) 453-0538

I have seen posts by Larry and Curt in numurous forums. Curt is the R&D person for IRD. Check out the distributor list and see if there is one close to you.

#4279 04/10/03 01:07 AM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Thanks Saturn.. I'll have to go look up that other post..
So, you have to wait until Nov ? I hate getting an idea about something I just KNOW I need, and then having to wait more than a couple of weeks to buy it.. (Not that my wife would be the one preventing such things from happening sooner.. NO WAY ! haha)
Have you heard this amp, or similar ? Is there a nice difference in performance ? A solid improvement over the all-n-one units like my Denon 3802 ?

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#4280 04/10/03 04:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mikey:

No I have not heard it. I have based it on reviews like my M22Ti purchase. But based on hearing a Denon 3802 vs higher amps like a Krell. When listening to regular listening levels MOST PEOPLE win not tell the difference. When listening to high higher levels you can find more distortion on the 3802 vs a Krell. But the Krell has higher power and must handle the signal better on bigger headroom. On very very low levels (this is kinda subjective) you cant tell the diffrence much but it you may tend to think a little more detail. The MB100 has good headroom. Its a 400VA power supply driving 100W amps @ 8 ohms. With music peak of 250W at 4 ohm level. And it is dead silent. Each monoblock weights in at 23 lbs. Get 2 of em and its heavier than my massive Rotel RSX 1065.
In the end is there a change in sound?...I doubt it...sound is mostly as good as your speakers....but it will drive any speakers .. nice..loud ... and most importantly clean with lots of headroom.

ps: I know I will be chastised for saying headroom.
Also as with purchasing based on reviews there is good and bad...M22Ti are great...nothing can beat its clearity, stage in its price range ($550 CDN)...next best maybe is like a Dynaudio Contour 1.1 ($1500) or 1.3 MK3 ($3100+)... but when I A/B switch them with my Monitor Audio Silver S6...I still like the sound of the S6 ($1250 CDN).

#4281 04/10/03 05:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Saturn,
do you have the original silver series or those new updated ones?
I heard the older series had more of a boxy sound but i can't say personally, i've never heard either of them.
I'm interested in hearing Monitor Audio before my next purchases.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4282 04/10/03 02:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Chess:

I have the new updated Silver S6. The old ones Silver 6i or any model with the "i" or termed "Full Metal jacket" series had issues because they were still ironing out the bugs on the CAM drivers. The new models definitely are great. How do I describe the sound of the Silver S6? Well just imagine the M22 in a biger box with bigger drivers and getting all the frequencies down to 35 Hhz. When I am sitting with tweeter at ear level the M22s give great stage and depth. But I find I lose a bit of that standing up. The Silver S6 still keeps the stage and depth at a bigger sweet spot. The Silver S6 just seems to have a little more depth but not much. The M22 as mentioned by a lot of people are great little speakers. Remember we are comparing a $550 CDN speakers vs a $1250 CDN MA Silver S6. How many speakers can do that? What missing low level frequencies is th M22 the Silver S6 does have. When I listen to music I never use a sub. I like to hear the music the way it was meant to be heard (without any help from other devices). Two issues I noted though with the Silver line of products. First is the bass. It can be very unruly. In both the S6 or S8 the bass can get outta hand. I do not know if it has to do with the port. If they implemented a port design like the Axioms I think it might control the bass a little better. I am using port bungs today to control the bass. Maybe I am used to the British type sound (Dynaudio, Tannoy, PMC, Proac, Acoustic Energy) which is clean and clear (like the M22 Axioms) and lots oft lower mids bass heavy sounding (B&W, PSB, Bose, Paradigm Monitor & Active Series, JBL).
You also need higher power to make any of the Silver line sound better. Why? I don't know. Even my Rotel at 120W in 2 channel still doesn't sound the same when played with Bryston or Krells. When on those amps I seem to enjoy the speakers without the port bungs. Since I can not afford the other 2 I am opting for either the IRD or possibly the Outlaw. Even an article in UHF and Inner Ear and Stereophile has noted that for some reason it sounds better with tight high power amps. They even say it "sings" (thats relative though) like the big boys. And also the bigger the space the better the S6 will sound. The room in my new place that will house the speakers will be 16x12 by 17 feet high so I hope that is big enough for the S6. If you are planning to get any Monitor Audio and will be in a smaller room I suggest to only go for the GOLD Reference 10. For bigger rooms the Reference 20 or Silver line if you like bass.

Theses are the current speakers I am looking at for the future:

Bookshelf:
Dynaudio Contour 1.1
Proac Tablette 50 signature (if I can find em)
Revel Performa M20
PMC TB2
Monitor Audio GOLD Reference 20

Floorstanding:
Axiom M80
PMC FB1
Traingle Antal or Celius
Vandersteen 2C

Monitor Audio Axiom thoughts
#4283 04/10/03 04:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Its interesting that i find your description of the Silver series very similar to that of the M60s, which is what i own (although i did audition the M22s as well).
The only exception is the bass part and maybe the wider soundstage. Never have i heard the M60s bass get out of control (it has always remained pretty tight) but certainly i found setting up the Axiom sweet spot a bit picky.
I was curious though about how similar these two speaker brands might sound since my brain has this impression that their components (metal tweeters, driver sizes) are really similar. From what i've read about Monitor Audio in reviews, they certainly come out very similar to Axioms (relatively tight bass, crisp highs, tight smooth mids, etc.). However the Axioms have always been also listed as notably bright whereas the Monitors have never had such a reputation or description, not that i've read.

I would love to hear some PMC (OB1 or IB2 series) as well as some higher end Tannoys (maybe Definition series). I have a feeling that Monitor Audio will produce too similar an Axiom sound and my wife is more enjoying the sound of my new Tannoy bookshelves for music. I really think the metal tweeters are great for maintaining linearity and clarity across the upper frequencies but i think her ears more prefer a slightly rolled off sound from fabric or soft dome tweeters.
Since the second system i'm building (next couple of years) will be for music only and most likely a 2 channel, possibly 4 channel setup at most, i would like to find something that is completely appealing to her ears since she listens to music more often than i do.
The Axioms will then get moved to the home theatre room (new house) and be pulling full time duty in that respect.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Monitor Audio Axiom thoughts
#4284 04/10/03 06:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
chess:

I would concur with you on the sound department M60 and MA Silver series would sound quite alike. The S6 has a little wider depth and stage than the M60 but not as good as a M80. M60 has definitely a tight bass and no where as ruly as the Silver S6 and I believe the S8 although has amazing stage and depth, the bass is even worse than the S6. But I only auditioned this in different rooms. My perception could have been skewed.

I also have not looked into the Tannoy series outside of there mini satelites (the one with steel grills) which seemed to have more detail than the Bose. The Tannoy, Celestions, Quad and Kastle are brands I want to audition but finding dealers that are close by are impossible.

As with you I agree that clarity and properties in metal type drivers. I am also looking for a fabric, syntetic or soft dome driver. To date IMO the best sounding speaker to my ears under $2000CDN is a Proac Tablette 50 Signature. And the tablette is no bigger than the M2Ti. It is even smaller I think. Maybe the setup was right when I was listening to it. It is clean, sweet, depth and stage is as good as like...ummm...B&W Nautalis series if you can believe it. Yes it lacks on the bass department(pair a musical sub) but the sound, clarity, definition....well if you know anyone (kinda rare) who has one give it a listen. Judge yourself. The new models of Proac's don't even touch it.

http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Speaker/ProAc+Tablette+50+Signature/PRD_120476_1594crx.aspx

#4285 04/10/03 08:16 PM
ajb Offline
buff
buff
I have not heard them, but you might also consider the Rocket line. They seem to have a huge following. Since they are only available on the internet, I don't know if anyone has had the opportunity to compare them to any of the brands you have mentioned, especially Axiom. That would be an interesting comparison, since they have a completely different type of tweeter than the Axiom.

#4286 04/11/03 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Chess those PMC models you are looking at arent cheap. I will be auditioning some PMC this week or next. TB2 or LB1.

DB1 $1595 CDN
TB2 $2000 CDN
LB1 $3295 CDN

One that really surprised me is this:

http://www.reference3a.com/mmdecapo.htm

I will have a chance to audiotion both in the same room. And since Reference3a is made in my backyard I believe I can get it at the same price in Canadian what they retail for in US.+ ~$300. Maybe with some hagling and "growing a sac" I can get it with taxes in.

Many some resident experts can critique on some scientific data captured in testing such as Cumulative Spectral Decay, impedance, etc

http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/AX101DA.pdf

"Baby ribs baby ribs baby ribs. I want some ..." Fat Bastard

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082