Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Class D amplifier
#428622 02/04/18 12:58 AM
S
local
OP Offline
local
S
Parasound sent me their new Class D amplifier to evaluate against the A51 Class a/ab amp I have with the Bryston Model T's. This thing only weighs 15 pounds with the switching power supply in it. It's putting out 600 watts per channel vs. 400 watts in the A51.

Interesting piece I must say. Very powerful low and mid range, a little bright on the upper end. But they did tell me it needs 200 hours burn in and I only have about 8 hours on it thus far. I see that it has two channels each with right/left speaker outputs. I might try bi-amping the speakers tomorrow for the hell of it as that is how I ran the A51.

The sound stage is a little limited vs. the A51, but to be fair I'll give it more time to break in. But for a list price of $1300 US, it's a nice amp vs. the A51 at nearly $5K

Last edited by Slimpikins; 02/04/18 12:59 AM.
Re: Class D amplifier
Slimpikins #428624 02/04/18 01:23 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ADA for me...

Slimpikins #428629 02/04/18 01:31 AM
S
local
OP Offline
local
S
A D Amp for you?

Slimpikins #428631 02/04/18 02:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Interesting, i would like to have that opportunity , i often wonder if i can truly hear the difference between 2 amps. I am getting a new amp with a SPS vs the one i have with Torroidial so i will see if i can tell any differnce though i highly doubt it. I can see 2 recievers sounding different but amps i am not sure . It stands to reason that they possibly could given different circuit designs and part quality. I mean a capacitor or inductor changes the sound of a speaker when configured in a crossover only stands to reason those same components play a role in a amplifier? Keep us posted as it breaks in ? not sure how that works either. I am a mechanic and breaking in an engine with mechanical parts make sense but electronics idk . If electronics break in then the computer in a car would change how it controls an engine as the computer ages which it most certainly does not. Ah technology so many questions so few answers.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Slimpikins #428633 02/04/18 02:45 AM
S
local
OP Offline
local
S
Electronic components do change with temperature and also capacitors 'form' with use. In fact if an electronic device isn't used for a period of time, the capacitors will lose their internal 'shape' and become out of spec; they need to be reformed by bringing the device up on a variac from low voltage over a time frame of days sometimes to avoid damage.

So, with that being said, I can see where they speak of 'breaking in" an amplifier. I think it's probably more a factor of burning in the components inside.

I definitely hear differences between the amplifiers; they each have a specific sound which of course would be defined by what the design is internally and the quality of the components used. Some use very high quality high tolerance devices, others do not . I guess price dictates what you get to large degree.

Slimpikins #428636 02/04/18 03:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
but but i can show you break in on and engine can the same be done for a speaker or an amplifier. I have a amp thats 35yrs old and has not suffered any apparent problems with capacitors audible or visual. Once upon a time japanese products were second rate now they are the gold standard how times change.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Slimpikins #428639 02/04/18 08:07 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Originally Posted By Slimpikins
A D Amp for you?

Axioms amp.
I'd like to find a matching amp to the one I have.
Maybe a 1500 in the future to.

The switching in my AVR seems to be giving me trouble.

Last edited by brwsaw; 02/04/18 08:08 AM.

Slimpikins #428641 02/04/18 03:29 PM
S
local
OP Offline
local
S
From what I understand, Axiom uses a toroidal inductive transformer vs. a switching type power supply and as such has a lot more dynamic headroom "power" available. They combine this with a Class D amplifier section which is very efficient and doesn't generate a lot of heat.

This new Parasound Class D amp which was sent to me to test out I am told has some new design features which make it play more like a conventional Class A/AB amplifier. That seems to be the case thus far as it has really full Low and Mid range, but the Highs seem to be a little on the bright side to me. I cannot recall what I have read in reviews of other newer Class D amps like the Anthem units, but I will have to go back to see what they had to say about the tonal characteristics so that I can determine if this seems to be common to Class D designs or if it's just that this amp needs break in time.

I also plan on swapping back over to my Class A/Ab amp perhaps later today just to hear the differences after two days of use with the D amp.

What I find interesting is that the amp with it's switching power supply seems to be holding up well to large amounts of high dynamic input without running out of gas and it runs cool. I also like the 600 watts of power at 4 ohms, it seems to drive the Model T's nicely.

Slimpikins #428647 02/04/18 07:27 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
If the highs are on the bright side, that could be a sign of distortion. Our human ears are more sensitive to distortion in the higher frequencies compared to the lower.

If it is distortion, there could be many reasons for this. The most common reason is lack of negative feedback from the output back to the input. Negative feedback corrects for the non-linear behavior of the output filters and if done properly, also improves the signal-to-noise-ratio. Ultimately stability and distortion are improved.

It's actually very challenging to build a high power Class D amplifier for a frequency-dependent load like a loudspeaker. Although I've never seen a magnitude and phase plot for the Model T, I would expect the impedance to vary from 2 Ohms to maybe over 30 Ohms and from an inductive load at lower frequencies to a capacitive load at higher frequencies.

If you ever find a plot, I'd like to see it.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Slimpikins #428652 02/04/18 09:56 PM
S
local
OP Offline
local
S
I do have one; Ian sent it to me.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3