Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: What are your opinions on power outlets
brendo #429011 03/11/18 05:31 AM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
2x mentioned the Acme there's a couple other cryo. treated Hospital\Commercial grades with copper replacements, that deal with the arc. As the A.Q. is supposed to relive arc as well.

Maybe a little too cable debate for most?

I think the hospital have more staff than electrical hazard at least in my city. A few people close, given meds. they're allergic to etc. Quite dangerous let alone the stuff you're exposed to in the waiting areas.

brendo #429013 03/11/18 03:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nothing like a wet leperous sneeze in the face.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
brendo #429014 03/11/18 06:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By brendo
Welcome back Matt.

I've been doing fair bit of research on ratings Amp. power etc. The twist connectors will fry all your SH!& to much power 30Amp and greater plus you'd need a separate circuit all together bigger wire etc. ugly ass conduit, severe fire hazard without. Even straight 20Amp. outlet on 15 line fire hazard. To much current.

When purchasing was on the phone with an electrician whom said the afore mentioned benefits of the receptacle. Better isolated ground solid connections. Designed for cleaner currents.

Although he recommended trouble shooting external grounding first. broken wires clamps and such.Which led me to the clamp replacement almost a week later.

Just decided myself to also give the receptacle a shot first.
Figure double a normal one 20 Vs 200 for a test with the A.Q. version. Plus I was in the shop with the unit in my hand already, while on the phone. So why not give it a go eh?
The outlet was originally grounded through the metal outlet box I myself stretched the ground from one of a couple screws that had surplus to ground the box to use with back of outlet as well.
For my ground floor in an old 60s building has been helpful Voodoo magic. solved some long standing ground issues.

If i read this correctly , you added an extra ground to the receptacle when you installed it? Again , very unlikely the receptacle was the source of the improvement. Not picking a fight here ,honest . As i said before making multiple changes at once blurs the results. In any trouble shooting situation its important to form a conclusion and then implement a fix and then prove or disprove its validity. I could fix a car by lifting the radiator cap and sliding a new car under it ,there its fixed but that is hardly a sensible approach. An exageration strictly to make a point.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
brendo #429015 03/11/18 06:39 PM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Then your stuck waiting together for hours.

More research on Acme and Hubble Cryo. versions. Brings me to no availability in Canada or shipping. Only Audio Quest and P.S. Audio. To which shops carrying the two are very limited.

Easier to find Power conditioners even really pricy ones, in my neighbourhood.

brendo #429016 03/11/18 06:56 PM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I used the existing ground from the box. It had excess copper bolted to the boxes rear contacts. Common for deeper and older metal box housing. Lifted one side scavenged the extra reconnected through bolts. To be sure of grounding, connected what I scavenged to the outlets ground terminal as well.

Mainly don't need the terminal on outlet nowadays. As the ears it screws to the wall with are normally sufficient with metal box.

brendo #429017 03/11/18 07:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well if you feeling ambitious one day , change out the receptacle with the old one and see if your son notices. That would be a pretty good blind test.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
brendo #429018 03/11/18 07:44 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Originally Posted By brendo
Mainly don't need the terminal on outlet nowadays. As the ears it screws to the wall with are normally sufficient with metal box.

That's unsafe.

brendo #429019 03/11/18 09:32 PM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I fully intend to switch back. Have another on same wall original outlet.

Thank you for your view, I probably did fix all grounds to fast to decipher which was most effective in my situation.

That's why I'm asking for opinions.
Sometimes another point of view is what's needed to see mistakes and such.

In my trials the last week picked up an outlet checker {Bad ground, reversed wires etc.} Along with a better stripper\Live wire tester. The checker is super handy just plug in and lights tell about connections.

Modern connections already have the receptacles boxes grounded. So the ears being the connection over actual wire is pretty standard as long as box was installed correct and not plastic variety of course.

brendo #429020 03/11/18 09:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Any of the houses i lived in over the past 40yrs have been grounded through the receptacle mounting screws which is kinda hoky imho. Not sure how my current abode is wired but its about 20yrs old so newer than most of my previous homes. Brendo you could just plug into another outlet as a comparison. The only reason i mention any of this is that we all have expectation bias and if things are no done unbeknownst to us we can not be partial. Now your son on the other hand is completely impartial, i wish i had this opportunity to conduct such an experiment. Perhaps i will get a receptacle and see if anyone notices, afterall they are really inexpensive.

The old house i lived in a few years ago had some really hokey wiring, the house was split into two living quarters and new service panels were installed for each unit. The electrician simply ran new wire to the old panel and used wire nuts to connect the old wiring to the appropriate panel for each room. In 7 yrs there i lost 2 receptacles, they simply quit working requiring extension cords to be run.I also had a boat load of grounding noise especially on my phono preamp. This house is silent as a lamp.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
brendo #429021 03/11/18 10:16 PM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Awesome idea for comparison.
Will do. just need a few days to swap without family knowing.

Sometimes scary seeing electricians in action. The place I work we had a couple of the big 30\50 Amp. suckers added over the years. Whole new panel and lines added in no time. Although open walls with typical conduit is a lot easier to wire any location needed.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters