Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
What are your opinions on power outlets
#428912 02/27/18 12:24 AM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Have been recently looking at PS audios and Audioquests power receptacles. They claim cleaner than hospital grade outlets {EMI\RFI} rejection etc. Supposedly can even clean power before a power conditioner, regenerator etc. One about 1\2 price of the other. Looks very intriguing.

Has anyone experience with this sort of product? Do you find any benefit from previous outlets if so?

Re: What are your opinions on power outlets
brendo #428916 02/27/18 03:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Please dont get offended since this is just my opinion but i feel these things are used by audiophools. Just another way to jerk money out of your wallet. We all want to believe in fairy dust .

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
brendo #428918 02/27/18 03:54 AM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
No offence taken at all.

I'm asking for opinions.

Being more of the people on here are electrician type and rather well educated towards these types of audiophooleries thought I would ask.

Thank you for you opinion Richard
My self not being an electrician or well read on the topic, don't know if it's bs or not

brendo #428919 02/27/18 04:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think for everyone that feels the way i do there are many more that believe the other way. I understand when a monitor is tracking your health in a hospital a glitch showing up on screen would not be a good thing but for music there is plenty of noise below the noise floor that is hidden by the music. The question is whether that noise is influencing the music in any way. If you put put your ear to a speaker when nothing is playing you will likely hear some white noise the question is , is that impinging on your enjoyment. I believe that the engineers who design our equipment have done their job and designed the PS to keep this noise out. Much like extraneous tics and pops that get hidden below the music when playing vinyl. Hopefully others will chime in with their beliefs and experiences to get a full picture.And yeah its hard to make sense of this stuff becasue we all want audio nirvana and were willing to go to great lengths to get it and these companies study people and their habits and the play to our insecurities.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
brendo #428922 02/27/18 05:13 AM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I've got a Klein pro multi meter with very basic knowledge.

Personally I can't see how they would be much more than medical grade in that aspect. Of EMI and RFI blocking or grounding. Plus how can it possibly improve existing wiring without actually changing it out for a lower gauge or a private circuit of its own.

Recently I purchased a larger newer Monster power than the one I had 70% off their new Black Platinum line, that has 12 outlets. The coax. isolator and all my equipment on the same line with this new unit has cleared an existing coax. ground loop I have that my older unit didn't have enough outlets to cover.

Now wondering if an upgraded wall socket would help further.

Thanks again for your opinion.

brendo #428923 02/27/18 01:37 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Engineers will do what is possible with the time and budget they're allotted and with the capabilities of the development team. If business management decides a product has to be out the door in a year, and research is happening simultaneously with development, and the team is fresh, there isn't much chance the product will be optimized for performance.

Noise impacts the quality of sound more than the vast majority of listeners understand. In most products, the spatial cues are buried in the noise. This is one of the reasons by the way why some amps or receivers sound different than others even at the same SPL.

There are so many factors related to achieving a low noise floor besides the numerous design decisions that have to be made within the power supply design. Design departments that understand this have a noise mitigation protocol that is audited throughout the product development process.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
brendo #428928 02/27/18 08:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds like someone here should take the Richard Clark amplifier challenge and show us all how great they think they are at hearing things that arent there.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
brendo #428930 02/27/18 10:02 PM
M
M
I have two main audio environments. One is an 800 cu. ft. room and the other is 4,200 cu. ft. The small one has Totem Dreamcatchers in it and the big one M80v2. The small one is a much deader environment than the large one. I also have two receivers and an amp.

SPL-matched and set to flat, I can clearly hear differences between both receivers and the amp in my large space. I cannot hear any difference between the three in my small space.

What does the Richard Clark amplifier challenge tell you about my experience, one-time Socketman and now Gr8_White_North?

House of the Rising Sone
brendo #428931 02/28/18 01:08 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
"the louder one always sounds better"... Not my words

brendo #428932 02/28/18 02:04 AM
M
M
As I said, the sessions were SPL-matched.

House of the Rising Sone
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616