Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: VP100 vs VP150
Helicon #429125 03/18/18 02:19 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
I hear break-up in my v2 tweeters that I don't hear in the v4. The off-axis response is also much better. It's one of the reasons I want to upgrade my M80s and surrounds.

Version 4 has the new tweeter and crossover. The new crossover incorporates learnings from the evolution of the family of curves. The tweeter has a die-cast aluminum faceplate instead of plastic for improved rigidity and cooling. High frequency response is smoother due to a new horn design and larger rear chamber. It also handles more power. The mid-range baffle is also stiffer. I am not sure about this but the version 4 may also have die-cast baskets for the drivers. It's also quite possible the cabinet is stiffer.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Helicon #429130 03/18/18 08:29 PM
H
Helicon Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
H
Wow, I tried digging further on line looking for reviews on Axiom products, and it is like going down a rabbit hole of negativity. I am not sure who the marketing person is for Axiom, but they should really address some of these criticisms. The ones that stuck out to me where stamped steel driver frames, magnets glued to the back of other magnets, poor bracing, etc. If the V4 drivers address this and new construction, they should really show pictures of it. SVS has nice cut out view of the subwoofers for instance. The VP-150 off axis response posted by someone looks terrible. If this is non issue posting off axis plots would help.

I found no positive information to support getting a VP-150, so that is off the table. Of course having to pay return shipping cost puts a barrier on the "free trial". Some IDs do have free return shipping and guessing helped a lot more people to come their own conclusions and likely post about it. The try it cost even in Canada is going to be $40+, imagine the states would be a lot higher.

I am going to go in on the M3s with an open mind(ear), and if they sound as great as my QS4, I think my entry will be the VP-100 center and eventually a VP-160.

I concur with Mojo they need a better mid range center product. Perhaps a ported version of VP-100 to get a bit more low end extension or use the QS4 4.5" driver in the same configuration as the VP-160, but using VP-100 driver size, of course not speaker designer, so no idea if worth the effort.

Last edited by Helicon; 03/18/18 08:58 PM.
Helicon #429131 03/18/18 08:56 PM
M
M
Helicon, Axiom's V4 products are not the same as the V2 or earlier products that you read criticisms of. Like I said in my reviews, I've been watching what's been going on in Dwight a long time now and I felt the enhancements in the current products reflected significant advances in engineering maturity. I have absolutely no complaints and only heaps of praise about the 160v4 and EP800v4 and I have to say, that is quite unusual for me. smile

Helicon #429132 03/18/18 10:04 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
When you look at reviews of any product on the net - look at the date first! The farther back in time, the more irrelevant the review becomes wrt current models.

Most of the negativity is quite dated (over 5 years back) & came from a few vocal trolls that eagerly parroted views from a few others - most who had never even heard an Axiom product. I know because I was in the middle of many of the 'discussions' elsewhere.

Such is the way of the net I'm afraid; however, after lots of push back from several of us here, little is being said now but most of it is good.

As for CC speakers a few years ago, arguing over comb filtering in horizontal speakers was all the rage. I did my own unscientific tests with my VP100 & found that until one becomes really far off axis (+30 degrees) did the sound start to degrade & by that time watching the TV at that angle was more problematic. In other words, in real life listening, it is really not much of a factor in most rooms...

TAM

Helicon #429133 03/18/18 10:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Helicon
Wow, I tried digging further on line looking for reviews on Axiom products, and it is like going down a rabbit hole of negativity. I am not sure who the marketing person is for Axiom, but they should really address some of these criticisms. The ones that stuck out to me where stamped steel driver frames, magnets glued to the back of other magnets, poor bracing, etc. If the V4 drivers address this and new construction, they should really show pictures of it. SVS has nice cut out view of the subwoofers for instance. The VP-150 off axis response posted by someone looks terrible. If this is non issue posting off axis plots would help.

I found no positive information to support getting a VP-150, so that is off the table. Of course having to pay return shipping cost puts a barrier on the "free trial". Some IDs do have free return shipping and guessing helped a lot more people to come their own conclusions and likely post about it. The try it cost even in Canada is going to be $40+, imagine the states would be a lot higher.

I am going to go in on the M3s with an open mind(ear), and if they sound as great as my QS4, I think my entry will be the VP-100 center and eventually a VP-160.

I concur with Mojo they need a better mid range center product. Perhaps a ported version of VP-100 to get a bit more low end extension or use the QS4 4.5" driver in the same configuration as the VP-160, but using VP-100 driver size, of course not speaker designer, so no idea if worth the effort.

Just because someone writes a negative POV does not mean that they are correct and responding to them only emboldens their position. The magnet glued on is a bucking magnet and is in oposing force to the main magnet so really no other way to put it on there, its purpose is for sheilding. As for steel frames vs cast there is no need for a cast frame even though axiom resonded by moving to a cast frame rather than fight the haters, i have speakers with plastic frames that perform perfectly . I would definitely bypass the Vp 150 but honestly dont believe you will be happy with the 100 its just not enough plain and simple. Get the M3's and save for the 160 and dont worry about return shipping cause once you hear it you wont want to return it any way. FWIW , anyone that doesnt have a keen interest in speaker design and its intricacies should stick to listening to them as a way to choose them.There are plenty of people that think they know how a speaker should be designed and comment like they do but they really dont, they are simply parroting what they read elsewhere. Anyone who thinks they can tell you how a speaker will sound by a frequency graph is a fool. Every speaker sounds different depending on the room its is in and thus far i have found my Axioms to sound great in every house i have had them in. This is an Axiom forum after all and your going to get a biased opinion no matter what but most here will also give an honest opinion . Axioms are revealing speakers and if you give them garbage they will play back garbage plain and simple , some people want speakers that will make bad recording sound decent ,its all about preference. Not every speaker design is a winner but Axiom has to differentiate itself from the rest of the herd thus we got the M22 and the VP150 but we also got the QS series which no one else does and they are fantastic. Win some lose some.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Helicon #429134 03/18/18 10:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If you can fit it, another vote for a center M3 mounted vertically, either tweeter-up below the screen or tweeter-down above the screen.

I started with M60 mains + VP100 center but but upgraded to a VP180 the day it was announced and as you might guess I am extremely happy with it. There is also a refurb VP160 in Axiom's deals section but you need to keep watching those pages in the hope that something comes up with the finish you want.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Helicon #429135 03/18/18 10:32 PM
M
M
The best advice really is to save up and buy the 160v4. It's amazing! Axiom haters in my city have heard it and the EP800v4 and have changed their minds about Axiom.

House of the Rising Sone
Helicon #429136 03/18/18 10:35 PM
M
M
Like John and I have suggested, you could go M3 and it would be better than a 150, but it sure wouldn't sound as clean as a 160.

House of the Rising Sone
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617