Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Digital music software options?
michael_d #429210 03/31/18 11:59 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I fail to understand how digital can be any more difficult than vinyl.

I use a raspberry pi with a dac hooked up via the USB. can search by artist name, album name, song name. I have over 600 albums sitting on a NAS and depending on what I want to listen to can find something within 10-15 seconds.

I new a DJ who had around the 600-800 albums. He has a whole room dedicated to storing them. It was a massive amount of space.

I bet GR8, that if you has someone ask you to play a random song from your album collection, it would take you quite a bit more time to find it (the album) and then to figure where it was on the platter, and get it queued up. How is that far more easy?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
michael_d #429214 03/31/18 05:25 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
My TT back in the 70s was well above the 'LLoyds' fare. I had a higher end Dual TT with a nice cartridge that I immediately got rid of when CDs came on the scene.

Unless things have changed, it was easy to damage a record (clicks) just slipping it in & out of its jacket & that often would cause static build up (pops). Out would come my anti static gun & my anti static record cleaning cloth, ha!

Presently I don't use any fancy streaming or cloud stuff. When I want to listen to an album (or up to 5), I just put them into the tray of one of my 3 CD/SACD players - all take 5 discs - & press Play.

Each to his own...

TAM

michael_d #429218 03/31/18 07:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I jumped all over cd's when they came out and i thought they were great. But as time wore on i came realize they were all they were made out to be. Music label just wanted everyone to buy the same music all over again and most of the releases were terrible transfers. Then came the loudness wars which abused the abilities of digital to help make more record sales. Then all the shit about 48khz and 92 then 184 etc etc its all to just keep upselling the same music over and over. I can lay my hand on any record any time, and i dont always know what i want to listen too but i can thumb through my collection and something on the cover will strike a note with me and that will start my session. As i listen i will be reminded of other tunes and i will go get them and i will reflect on the album cover and think about the band or the artist none of which happens when i play a digital file. I didnt say you had to listen to vinyl i just said i prefer it. I listen to digital and i presume plenty of driver do too as they seem to like swerveing into my lane while browsing their playlists etc.

Check out Micheal Fremers website , analogue planet he has a video on there of him being interviewed and you will see he has thousands of records and can tell you about everyone of them , where they came from and where any particular one is and he is very emotional about all of them. No one gets like that over a digital file .

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020