Rate Thread
Network Stereo Receiver Advice
#429349 04/26/18 03:32 AM
G
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
G
I'm looking to purchase a new stereo receiver (with hdmi and network capabilities) to power my M22 v2 speakers (still going strong after 9 years!). I can only find two products that offer the features I will need: (1) the Onkyo tx-8270 and (2) the Pioner Elite sx-s30 (see the links below).

I'm wondering if anybody on the forum has experience in comparing these two models. How about general impressions on product reliability for either Onkyo or the Pioneer Elite line?

The feature sets are near identical, however, it appears that the Onkyo has significantly more power. The power specifications that Pioneer Elite provides seem a little odd (85 W/ch (4 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1.0 %, 1ch Driven). In a real world situation, would the Pioneer Elite provide sufficient power to run my M22 speakers? I use the speakers for music and movies and I listen at relatively low volume levels.

I prefer the small form factor of the Pioneer Elite, however, I want to make sure they provide sufficient power for the speakers. Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model....ource=prodClass

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/2-Channel+Components/SX-S30

Re: Network Stereo Receiver Advice
guillermo123 #429383 04/30/18 09:06 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
The Pioneer could be as low as around 25 watts per channel into 8 ohms with two channels driven. That is getting pretty low given there is not likely much in the way of dynamic headroom above that.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
guillermo123 #429391 05/02/18 04:56 PM
G
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
G
Great. Thank you for the additional information Ian. Sounds like I should narrow my search to the Onkyo.

guillermo123 #429426 05/05/18 08:48 PM
shareholder in the making
William, there's no good reason to restrict your search to a 2-channel unit. Multi channel receivers are sold in far larger numbers and their price benefits from economies of scale. They're required by the FTC amplifier power regulations to state their power specs with two channels driven, and make suitable choices for powering stereo speaker systems(with a possibility for future surround speakers being added for greater music appreciation).

Since you're in the U.S. an excellent source is Accessories4less, which specializes in factory refurbished receivers, which should be, if anything, even more reliable than a brand-new unit.

An excellent buy should be this Integra upscale Onkyo brand-mate , which should be ample for your needs.

Incidentally, hope that you were able to do some classical music listening, as we briefly discussed a few years ago.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

guillermo123 #429434 05/08/18 04:00 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted By guillermo123
I'm looking to purchase a new stereo receiver (with hdmi and network capabilities)

Why do you want HDMI capabilities for a 2-ch system when a digital optical/coaxial connection would be more than adequate? Dropping the HDMI requirement would open up your choices to NAD, Rotel, Emotiva, Outlaw Audio, etc that all provide better power dynamics...

guillermo123 #429436 05/09/18 01:54 PM
veteran
veteran
If HDMI is a must, another candidate to look at would be the Arcam SR250...

https://www.arcam.co.uk/products,FMJ,Stereo-AV-Receiver,sr250.htm

90wpc 8ohm but you also have pre-outs to add external amplification if you want MORE!

I'm considering the Arcam AVR550 (or higher models) myself as a future upgrade once I get my VP180OW if my Onkyo can't handle it.

JohnK #429605 07/02/18 03:55 AM
G
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
G
Hi JohnK:

Thank you for the response. You have an excellent memory regarding the prior classical music recommendations. I did end up purchasing all of your recommendations (my favorites being Holst The Planets and Dvorak Cello Concerto). I still listen to them regularly almost 9 years later!

Regarding not limiting myself to a 2-channel unit, that is good to know as there are many more options with the home theater 5 and 7 channel units. Although I have no plans to increase my system beyond the M22s and sub, I'm assuming there is no sonic benefit to having a dedicated 2-channel unit. I'm not familiar with the Integra brand. Should I be concerned about reliability issues? The model you linked to looks like it would fit the bill perfectly (and at a great price). Thanks again for the reply.

TDIPablo #429606 07/02/18 03:57 AM
G
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
G
Hi TDIPablo:

The primary reason for the receiver is that I have only 2 HDMI inputs for my old plasma tv and I now have more than 2 hdmi devices that I would like to connect to my system. I figured that I could use a new receiver as a switchbox and just run a single hdmi ARC connection between the tv and receiver. I only use a 2.1 channel system, hence, my interest in 2-channel units with hdmi capabilities. Thanks for the Arcam recommendation though.

guillermo123 #429614 07/03/18 04:26 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Integra is Onkyo's top tier products.
They don't tend to have the problems Onkyo were prone to previously. My self was using an Integra made Teac pro {Tascam PA-R200}. For the last couple years was a total power house.

Although I got the itch and now have a Anthem MRX720. Wanted the Atmos DTSX.

guillermo123 #429615 07/04/18 04:39 AM
Glad to hear that you're enjoying those classical suggestions.

Yes, there's no sonic benefit as such in a 2-channel unit compared to a high-quality multi-channel receiver. The power supply section feeds whatever channels are in actual use at the moment and unused channels don't "steal" power or otherwise affect those which are in use.

I've dealt with A4L several times with complete satisfaction. You might click on the "item condition" area of the linked page and read their comments on factory-refurbished units, which my experience has verified.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020