Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anyone got one of the new compter speakers?
#429604 07/02/18 02:24 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
When Axiom upgraded the computer speakers and based them off the M1, M2 and M3 putting in a new amp/usb interface inside of them, I bought a pair.

But the sad thing was I got them for my iMac and then realized that they just wouldn't fit into the setup that I had so they sat in thier box for about 3 years untouched. My bad. But i figured out a use for them and pulled them out. I got myself a new windows 10 laptop and was going to use them to listen to streamed music on the deck. But for some reason the speakers keep shutting down regardless of volume. I don't think it's the amp however as the windows laptop keeps loosing the usb connection as if the usb plug is getting pulled. Once it starts to go wrong, the only way to fix it is to pull the power plug on the speakers and wait 3-4 seconds and plug it back in. then it will work again for about 3-5 minutes then fail again. I have tried it on all the usb ports on the laptop, and even tried it on my wifes old laptop to see if it was a windows 10 thing. she has windows 7. it just keep on going funny.

The only thing that I can see is the green light at the back of the unit decided to flash rather than staying a sold green.

I am just wanting to do a sanity check with someone else who owns these speakers to see if there is something that I might be doing simply wrong. I don't think I have it too loud. I am not even 1/4 of the way up in volume and it still kicks out.

I will give Axiom a call but know that getting them to respond is a hit and miss and might take a week or more to get a response. I know they should be still under warranty so I hope thay can fix the speakers.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Re: Anyone got one of the new compter speakers?
MMM #429608 07/02/18 07:05 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Looking at the power brick that shipped with the unit, the pins inside the power brick are really small compared to the standard power cord that shipped with the unit. The power cord is very loose and will easily wiggle and fall out of the power brick if you just look at it wrong. Even trying to tighten it up with some tape around the outside of the power cord doesn't achieve anything

MMM #429609 07/03/18 12:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
how high are you setting the volume on the back of the speakers. Try setting the knob to halfway and then control it with the laptop if you havent tried already. Maybe its clipping and shutting down.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
MMM #429610 07/03/18 01:21 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Other things to try:

- Make sure the analog cable is not plugged in.

- Unplug the USB, turn it off, unplug the brick for 10 seconds and then turn it on again. If the LED is blinking, it's a firmware initialization problem. If the LED stays on, plug in the USB. If the LED now starts blinking, it's a comms problem.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Gr8_White_North #429611 07/03/18 02:37 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By Gr8_White_North
how high are you setting the volume on the back of the speakers. Try setting the knob to halfway and then control it with the laptop if you haven't tried already. Maybe its clipping and shutting down.

As I had said in my post. I am not running it even above 1/4 the full volume so it shouldn't be clipping or overpower the amp inside the unit. Going the opposite direction, the USB driver doesn't let you control the volume using the regular volume control inside of windows. this was all discussed when they put out the unit. I know from experience that if you over extend the digital volume inside of windows you can force clipping on a connected speaker as you are pushing the digital signal beyond the range allowed so making a clip where there was not one.

Mojo #429612 07/03/18 02:41 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By Mojo
Other things to try:

- Make sure the analog cable is not plugged in.

- Unplug the USB, turn it off, unplug the brick for 10 seconds and then turn it on again. If the LED is blinking, it's a firmware initialization problem. If the LED stays on, plug in the USB. If the LED now starts blinking, it's a comms problem.

No, just using the usb and no other cables hooked up. If you try and power up the speakers without it plugged into the usb port on the computer, it just won't turn on. I assumed that was the design of the unit. So it should turn on without anything plugged in. I will have to bring that point up with Axiom I guess. Perhaps the whole board on this unit is shot.

MMM #429613 07/03/18 03:18 AM
M
M
I don't have one but if you watch Andrew at around 4:30 he discusses how the power switch works and it's definitely on without any signal cables.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=c6fVNedgny4

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
MMM #429616 07/04/18 07:37 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I have done more digging and I think the issue is with the power brick itself.

I was using the speakers outside on the deck plugged into the outside wall socket. I had the speakers on stands and really didn't take the time to route all the cables.

I put them inside the front sitting room to do some more testing and noticed the power cord doesn't fit in very securely into the power brick. Outside this I think was more or less dangling as the height of the outdoor stands are pretty tall compared to indoor stands. As well, the size of the actual power prongs in the brick are smaller than standard. It sort of reminds me of an old amp that I had that required a special C13 plug for it to work. Any North American computer plug (C13) just wouldn't fit and was too loose and the stereo had problems.

I just for giggles took a power meter to the 15v barrel plug end to give it a test and was getting readings all over the map under voltage. I think that if the power going in isn't right then how can you expect the rest to work. I did hunt high and low to see if I could find that special C13 power cord but I didn't.

I did, however, get through to Axiom and was hoping that they could send me a replacement power brick assuming that there might be something really wrong with the one that I have, but after speaking with Deb, was told that Andrew wanted the whole set of speakers sent back. Can't understand why as the one on the left doesn't have an amp or any electronics inside of it, so I would have thought for testing they could have just had the one on the right with the USB/Amp inside. But they wanted everything so off it went this afternoon.

I didn't get around to testing the speakers hooking up to my new Raspberry Pi3b+ running Volumio. I think that is likely the way I am going to be playing mostly. That way any guest can just log onto the Volumio.local web page and call up other songs that they would like to hear.

For the part mixers, I think it might be better off to use the 3.5mm headphone jack to connect off the back of the mixer than route everything back to the PC and then USB connect to the speakers. Again, that is another setup that I have not given a try to.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020