Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
So long to our last Video Store
#429635 07/13/18 08:25 PM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
Arghhh - no more Blu Ray rentals as our last video store is closing.

I finally have been dragged reluctantly into the streaming universe by signing up for Netflix - first month free. Of course this required diving in behind my system to reconnect cables to enable proper surround sound to make its way through to the speakers. What a PITA.

Our first movie showed in 720 instead of 1080 - disappointing. Furthermore, there was one significant stoppage due to buffering or net problems I guess.

I also tried Shaw 'Video on Demand' for another movie that curiously was not available on Netflix. This time it was in 1080 but had significant lip sync issues throughout.

So, IMO, I've regressed in overall quality as I suspected that I would. Convenience over quality strikes again...

TAM

Re: So long to our last Video Store
exlabdriver #429636 07/13/18 09:45 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Sadly majority of the people would rather the convenience, or just order the physical copies nowadays.

I've found the Netflix has to state the higher res. content or it's all just low res. file same with Amazon Prime. Both services are very limited on content in my opinion.

Have bypassed such hassle using my Xbox1 as streamer by running my Xbox at 1080p.
If you run Netflix from your blueray to T.V. or a similar means. Set the streaming device to output 1080 4K etc.
Don't think a smart T.V. will upconvert alone though.

The V.O.D. should have selector in the menu screen for resolution. of selected film. I have a Shaw HD box as well. have you checked cable box's settings?

exlabdriver #429637 07/13/18 10:38 PM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Netflix sends a steam based on what it detects as the maximum resolution it can send without video issues. you might have set it to the highest res, and netflix might say it's capabile of doing a higher res, but if your internet connection says otherwise, your doing to get far less.

Depending on your device, there might be a setup option that will actually test the network speed that Netflix is detecting, and that will give you far more insight to what is going on. On my Pioneer TV I can get it to let me know what the network streaming rate is. On most videos, it will start off lower and afer 20-30 seconds swap out to a higher res streem. The issues can be nothing to do with your insternet connection from your house to the ISP head-end, but outside the boarders of your ISP's network.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
exlabdriver #429638 07/14/18 05:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tam you will probably have to check what your internet package offers for bandwidth, you may have to upgrade to a better download speed. Netflix never has any new movies but they do have some good made for netflix tv shows. If you want new releases it will be VOD or Itunes. We still have one video store here in town and they added a soft icecream outlet to increase revenue. I pay 200 a month for 400gigs so i dont stream much as it uses lots of bandwidth.The downside of a video store is they never have what you want when you want it and streaming does. Sorry to hear about your video store , real bummer.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
exlabdriver #429639 07/14/18 06:03 PM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
I checked my speed on the Netflix website & it averages 15 M/sec. Netflix states that 5 M/sec is required for HD so I seem to be OK there.

Watched another movie last night. It dropped 4 or 5 times in 2 hours. I was getting 1080 this time; however, the sound was very sub par - pathetic actually. Gunshots & explosions that were dynamic on a Blu Ray were muffled & unimpressive considering how much audio gear that I have. Interestingly, I watched a bit of 'History of the Eagles' & the concert sound was very impressive indeed.

I searched the net & it seems that dropouts are very common with many customers. With the ever increasing number of customers, the net just can't keep up with demand especially during heavy usage times like in the evening.

Since I'm using a Sony Blu Ray for streaming with the router nearby, next time perhaps I'll try turning off our cable box, 2 computers & cell phone so that the stream isn't being shared.

So far I'm not impressed, although I kinda expected this...

TAM

exlabdriver #429640 07/14/18 07:58 PM
Jc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Hi,

Same in my area Blu-ray rental places are gone. I was wondering if you are running your Netflix on Wi-Fi or ethernet connection. Wi-Fi is not reliable. I run everything that I can on ethernet, using Wi-Fi only when I don't have the choice.

jc

exlabdriver #429641 07/14/18 09:43 PM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
I'm on Wi-Fi due to the fact that my wireless router (a fairly new one) is close but in the next room. There is really no way to discretely run the cable from one room to the other as I'm on a slab...

TAM

exlabdriver #429642 07/15/18 02:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I run straight Ethernet here, wireless is just not robust enough imho . Never have streaming issues on netlix or amazon prime on max setting though its a huge hit to my download quota. Luckily i have drop ceilings in the basement but still have some exposed wires due to laziness . In my old house i ran the Cat6 outside along the edge of the siding and never and issue in 7 yrs and -35 weather. Have a pro come in and see what they say, you can often hide the cable behind baseboards, i used some molding that i cut slots into to hide the wires for my ceiling speakers and it worked slick.Often if you pull the baseboard there is a gap under the drywall you can stick wires into, lots of lite duty cable that is fairly easy to hide. Also consider running it inside your duct work, just need special rated wire to do that though a fire from ethernet is highly unlikely.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
exlabdriver #429644 07/15/18 03:34 PM
E
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
E
Thanks for the advice. With 3 doorways in my path it would be a nightmare to do this; however, I'm thinking on it...

TAM

exlabdriver #429645 07/15/18 07:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, doorways are a real PITA for sure but if you take off the trim i know there is plenty of gap between the frame and the studs around the door and Cat6 is cheap. I bought a pair of eternet pliers,some cable ends and a cheap tester for under 20 bux and i make my own cables so i can snake them where ever i want and then terminate them myself. I have to take off my glass's and its a bit fiddly with my sore old hands but it can be done smile

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020