Print Thread
Rate Thread
Turntable built in Phono hum
#429765 08/06/18 05:21 PM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Have come to a place of peace with my system.

Took out my lousy attempt of RCA from Monster Coax cables. The Monster Ultra Silver were better to begin with. even if a little bright.

Have since gotten BJCs LC1s, seem great burly connectors and all less treble. Now when playing Vinyl I can hear my Fluance's built in phono stage when idle. It didn't stand out so much with silver cable?

So would you guys upgrade to an external Project or similar.

Or suck it up and keep the record spinning to silence the hums?

Re: Turntable built in Phono hum
brendo #429767 08/06/18 07:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Brendo,
You have some kind of a ground loop between the turntable's built-in phono preamp and your amp (or AV receiver). Switching Monster Cables won't make any difference.

Try running a separate single ground wire from the chassis of the turntable and/or the chassis of the Fluance phono preamp to a chassis screw of your amplifier/AV receiver.

While you are at it, you needn't enrich the income of Monster Cable by spending all that money on overpriced cables. I've participated in definitive cable listening tests, originally conducted by Dr. Floyd Toole at Canada's National Research Council in Ottawa, and there was absolutely no audible difference in any of them. We included exotic speaker cables as thick as a garden hose and no one on the listening panel could detect a particle of difference in any of them. The tests were double-blind and the results were published AudioScene Canada, for which I was an equipment reviewer and later the Editor (it eventually became Sound&Vision Canada magazine) and ceased publication around 1996.

Any perceived differences you think you hear in cables and interconnects are the result of psychological bias, because you are not doing controlled comparisons.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Re: Turntable built in Phono hum
brendo #430107 09/24/18 05:13 AM
brendo Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thank you Alan.

Did some research and found most every Phono pre. was recommending to keep the darn phono well away from WIFI, EMI sources etc.

Realised that I had gone and moved my router really close to my turntable. Moved it much further away Hum has gone.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044