Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Pics as I Promised
#42983 04/27/04 04:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think what BillWill is saying is that in a 7.1 setup, most people prefer to use the QS series as surrounds (to the sides) and direct radiating speakers, such as the M2i's in the rear positions.

#42984 04/27/04 06:12 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
well, in my experience, the 7.1 set up that I have right now, works quite well, and if I can improve upon that with a more dispersed sound, as the QS series is described, then that would just be supreme! Currently running 4x Polk FXi30s for the side surround and rear surrounds. Granted, the drivers are not actually pointed down towards the listener as the QS would be, they definitely produce a very distinct "coming from behind" feeling, when called upon of course! Now if I could get that same effect with more dispersion when called upon, that's what I am looking for. I am aiming for that with the QS4s I purchased. I have the FXi30s about 4 1/2 feet apart and assume that I am going keep the QS about the same distance. I naturally assume I will be testing the speakers out in different positions and different lengths apart to see what works best. I will post what my opinion and findings are when I get the QS4. I am hoping they get here tomorrow!

Jon Liu Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's just too hard to read
#42985 04/28/04 01:12 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
So, to recap, if possible?

In situations such as Aetherhole's:

In reply to:

I have no choice but to put the surround back speakers on the back wall where the couch is right up against. So I opted for QS for my surrounds just because I thought I thought it would be more enveloping and spread the surround stage out a bit more.

people have not had problems with localization of sound out of the center rear speaker when using QS's? Even when the rear center is pretty much directly above the main listening spot? I understand that Aetherhole actually has a 7.1 setup; I'm contemplating a 6.1 setup. I came across the following interesting info. From a 12/01 hometheatersound article on 6.1 format:

"THX and Dolby both recommend placing the left and right surround speakers to the sides of the listening position (not behind) and also recommend the use of two center-surround speakers mounted in the rear. This is presumably to provide a more diffuse rear soundfield rather than having the sound come from a single point directly behind the listener.

Ideally, all speakers used should be of the same design and placed the same height and distance from the listener. In reality, many of these conditions will not be met and it may be especially difficult to place the center-surround speaker(s) a sufficient distance from the listening position since many people have their sofas or seats placed right up against or just slightly away from the rear wall. However, all Dolby Digital EX and THX Surround EX processors and receivers will allow for the setting of delays for the surround channels to compensate for differing distances to the speakers. Probably the worst situation, and something to try to avoid, is having only one center-surround speaker placed very close to the listening position."

From a 2/04 comparative review of AV receivers in Home Cinema Choice:

"The RS-8032VSX receiver caters for Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES extended surround formats. Unlike some, it will drive two centre rear speakers, albeit in mono from the rear surround pair. If your front room is such that you need to sit close to the centre of the back wall, a pair of rear surround speakers in the corners provides much less unwanted localisation than a single centre rear speaker."

Thoughts, comments? Do many engage in the "setting of delays for the surround channels to compensate for differing distances to the speakers"? If so, how difficult of a task is it.

Thanks

#42986 04/28/04 01:47 AM
devotee
devotee
Actually, it's pretty easy to set the delays for the speakers. There's a menu where you input how far each speaker is from the listening position, and the receiver figures out the delays.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup