What priority on a cell phone
#429861 08/18/18 03:48 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
We all get some form of upgradeitus and what is more so than with that chunk of electronics we hold to our ears otherwise known as the cell phone.

I never really got into the whole iphone thing, and for the longest time didn't even bother with having a cell phone as I just didn't really see any need for it. The contracts were just too expensive for what they offered as the technology just not there. Now I don't think that anyone would be without one.

I ended up in the Andriod camp as the iPhones cost turned me off. Now it seems that the top tier phones all cost the same so you take your choice.

So comes the question, of what is most important in a cell phone? My first Andriod phone was one of the Nexus phones (Samsung built) and it was rather nice that Google controlled the OS upgrades and you could get a regular bump with new technology and not be tied to if your cell phone company will release an upgrade OTA. But Google is also the jerks that after 2 years it's dropped and ZERO support. Where Apple seems better in giving an upgrade path even though it seems forced on you and forced obsolescence as the phone gets slower and unresponsive each upgrade of IOS till you have to buy a new phone after 2-3 years like it or not.

I moved from the Nexus to an LG G3 that was OK but eventually the battery went and all the clone batteries are crap and don't hold a charge so that one got replaced by an LG G5 that I was smart at and when LG started to sell off their OEM batteries when they released the G6 I bought 3 spares for next to nothing.

I am now hit with that upgradeitus and the nagging feeling that I want to trade. The G5 works fine. it is not too slow, holds a charge perfectly and really does everything I need a phone to do.

The rest of my family has moved to iPhones and I sort of miss out in the iMessage and Facetime. I do get away with a much lower phone bill as I don't get hit with forced upgrades when on cell only and my SMS messages are free, unlike Apple that charges data rates for iMessage. I use about 250mb of data each month where my wife seems to need closer to 2gb. My daughter, well that is a teen thing.

The G5 doesn't seem to get any upgrades. LG doesn't even bother with the monthly security updates. I am on Android7.0 even though 7.1, 8.0, 8.1 and now 9 is out there. Don't know if I am missing out.

What makes a great cell phone?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
Re: What priority on a cell phone
MMM #429862 08/19/18 05:31 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I wish I could skip mine across a creek...
Bet I could get 7 or 8 bounces...

MMM #429867 08/20/18 02:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've had a variety of phones over the years, mainly started with ones forced on me by my employer. I know that a lot of people love their iPhones, but damn, I don't want to be locked into their "ecosystem" which is slick, but everything is expensive, and once you are in, they know that you can't get out. Some people love being in that type product control and claim "but it just works"... At a price.

My kids used to have iPods and every time they would plug one in to a computer, it would force download iTunes, and then want to "manage" any and all media on that device. Hell no!

Anyway, it turned me totally off to them. That was also at a time where some people at work were sucked into Apple's slick marketing (you all KNOW this is true) where you weren't cool if you didn't have the LATEST Apple products that came out every year. Even Apple users would seem to ask other Apple users "is that the (latest model)?" Usually followed up by, "Oh, well *I* have the (latest model) and was just wondering since yours was a little different than mine." Seriously. Some of these Apple users were pompous jerks to each other.

Enter the Android user. Typically sits there quietly using their device, constantly bashed by Apple users on their high horse. I not only saw this, but experienced it myself.

These happened to be the same people that would get a new iPad every year, claiming that it was so much better than the previous one, and then 2 months later if you asked them (and if they gave an honest answer) how much better it was, they would say, "Well it is great, but not really worth the upgrade." They would buy the latest one the next year too..

Anyway, this is why I am generally so anti-Apple. Just a lot of stuff that for me is annoying, but for others that have been sucked into the Apple world, they like it.

I am not, and have never said that Apple doesn't make solid products, but they aren't for me and neither is their ecosystem, or their "ego"system.

On a side note, I am now on a Samsung Galaxy S9+, previous was a S7 Edge, and before that an S5. Prior to Samsung, I had some other brands. I liked my S7 Edge so much that I wasn't planning on upgrading, but they offered such great trade-in credit and deals, that I was getting the device for less than 50%, and when I did the math on it, I could have a new device now for probably less than if I waited a year since my trade-in would be worth pretty much nothing a year later.

The good thing about Samsung, is that they still push updates. My youngest is on an S7 Edge for example, and still gets system updates.

On a side note, my son-in-law uses an iPhone. He was fulling engulfed into the Apple ecosystem before my oldest married him. She told me that she pretty much *had* to switch because so much of what they did or wanted to share was already locked into Apple, and not accessible from any other type of device. So Apple succeeded in their goal to make it so that if you aren't "in" with Apple, then you are "out" and the only way to get in is to switch... Then you can never escape because you are too "invested" into it. Great marketing by them.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MMM #429870 08/21/18 04:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
For me, what matters in a phone is the keyboard.

Blackberry. From my cold dead hands.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
MMM #429878 08/22/18 06:55 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
iPad mini gen 1 atm...lol....still kicking.

bridgman #429879 08/22/18 06:56 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I want my first flip phone back.
Nokia something...analog, perfect key spacing. Only phone I purchased twice.

Last edited by brwsaw; 08/22/18 06:57 AM.

MMM #429880 08/22/18 11:41 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
My wife just purchased a flip phone for her 93 year old mother who is in hospital. Seems the hospital wants to charge $15 a day to have a telephone. far cheeper to give her a cell phone it seems. And those flip phones were pretty darn easy to use.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #429883 08/22/18 01:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I had this tiny flip phone for work about 10 years ago. Always had solid signal strength, was super compact, long battery life, etc. It was great. Then my employer gave me a Blackberry and it was all downhill from there.

Outside of the entertainment aspect, I could go without a cell phone on a personal level. I have been available 24/7 for work (or anyone) since about 1995, so I love it for the very, very rare times that I am actually unavailable due to lacking signal. Maybe I just need to vacation out of the country every year. LOL (If only I could afford it.)

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MMM #429884 08/22/18 03:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I live/work around the corner from Blackberry world headquarters, so this may not be popular...cough bridgman cough, but the availability of apps is key. The Android platform has a greater selection of "business" apps at better pricing, heck, most are free.

I have long since transitioned to touch screen - having suffered the first Blackberry attempt I vowed to never use another BB.

Battery life is also a biggie for me.

I have owned HTC and Samsung devices and recently tested a Huawei unit that was great. My current model is a Samsung S7Edge model and it has been a great unit.

BBIBH #429886 08/22/18 09:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By BBIBH
so this may not be popular...cough bridgman cough, but the availability of apps is key

I have installed precisely two applications in my life - an RSA token generator, and an IRC chat application.

I really don't give a rat's a$$ if I can download a Pizza Pizza Direct application.

That said, all the new Blackberry phones (which are really more Blackberry branded under license) are Android based so the full range of malware/apps is available.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616