Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Honda Takes Pole Position at San Marino!
#43049 04/28/04 01:44 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
billy-

with out restrictor plates, i think the nascars could be going 215-220 mph.. the highest recorded nascar speed is 212 mph by bill elliott in the early 90's at talledega. at that speed, the cars were starting to literally fly off the ground, the wheels were losing contact. with no other way for nascar to provide greater downforce, the only logical answer was to slow them down. its all about safety, but it would still be really cool to have a pack of 15 cars, 3 wide, come flying by at 220 mph.. now that is a pucker factor!!

i dont know if this is true, but i was told that the F1 cars have soooo much downforce, that at 180 MPH, they could actually drive upside down on a ceiling.. like if you had a BIG tube/tunnel, and they could drive to the top, and be flipped over? i dont know if i am explaining this correctly.. that there is enough downforce that at that speed, it could stay up, and not fall?? dont know if thats real, or an urban legend?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#43050 04/28/04 06:24 PM
veteran
veteran
bigjohn -

yes. thanks for the NASCAR stats...these are things I should be more knowledgeable on (for myriad reasons), but I am not. Awesome Bill from Dawsonville. Friends of the family (lived down the street, churched together, etc) knew Bill Elliot. In fact, the Dad, Jim, used to build engines and race around the dirt tracks with Bill - this was early '70's. No point really.

I haven't heard about the F1 driving upside down. As you know, there are some banks on the NASCAR circuit that are damn near 90 degrees...I'd bet that in a tube, with the right speed, one could at least do a poopty-loop - but it'd probably have to be a really big tube...

Sorry - I'm just babbling...it's been nearly 48hrs since I started depriving myself of that fine, sweet, chemical of the gods - NICOTINE.

^billy

videoslave
#43051 04/28/04 07:56 PM
shareholder in the making
If you're quitting, congratulations. If you're just broke and can't afford a ciggy, well, hang in there...

#43052 04/28/04 09:40 PM
veteran
veteran
thanks man.

yes, I'm quitting. About four years ago I quit for a year...one whole freaking year (BTW - my name is Billy and I'm a Copenhagen addict - I started when I was 20 and I'm now 31 - I blame it all on Southern Polytechnic University). I dreamed about dipping. I would wake up in the night with a mouth full of spit, or a wet pillow from having spat on it while dreaming about dipping. Very attractive, I know - you'd be surprised, but I've been able to date women (some for a year or longer) and they never knew - granted, some of them smoked and I'd have a ciggy now and then to take the edge off). Actually, some people have been surprised that I've been able to date women, period. HA.

At any rate, I was cutting some pecan trees up (a friend's wife demanded that he have the trees removed - they were over 100 yrs old - I'm still sore over that issue) and a friend offered me a dip...I was running a chainsaw, I had to get a dip. That was the end of just over a year of being clean. Now, I'm doing it for good. Taking it in threes - three minutes, three hours, three days, months, etc. Just gotta make it past three honest days and I'll be set.

Rambling again, but it's become an obsession - quitting. I'd kill for a bottle of that nicotine water. That would be perfect...I drink 1 to 2 gallons of water a day - why not throw in a few bottles of nico-water. Damn that Surgeon General...

^billy

videoslave
#43053 04/28/04 09:46 PM
Hey, good luck, man. It sounds like it's pretty tough.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#43054 04/28/04 09:50 PM
I just read your bio on the website linked in your profile. I like your writing style.

#43055 04/28/04 10:02 PM
veteran
veteran
thanks, pmbuko, that's kind of you to say.

videoslave
#43056 04/29/04 01:55 AM
veteran
veteran
After he mentioned I couldn't help but visiting it as well.

I agree, I enjoyed reading your writing as well. You seem like a pretty interesting individual.

What kind of video editing are you into if you don't mind me asking?

#43057 04/29/04 02:15 AM
veteran
veteran
hey getoffb,

thanks for the comment. What I edit is rather boring - but here it is: I work for Georgia Quick Start...QS is part of the economic development innitiative for Georgia (we are structured under the Dept. of Tech and Adult Ed) Our (the "video guys") main job is to provide training/marketing videos for QS clients - manufacturing and service industries like GM, CIBAVision, Pitney Bowes, Caterpillar, etc. We are part of an incentive plan to attract and retain industry - QS provides training - our dept provides the video/audio/photographic needs. We shoot and edit everything digital betacam, uncompressed - everything is broadcast quality. Aside from that, we also provide for the video needs (marketing, etc) of the agency and the state - right now I'm working on a project for the G8 Summit that will be held on St. Simmons this year (near Savannah).

It's not as glamorous as it sounds (or as Spiffnme's job) but it's interesting in that I get to see many different things that most people never see - like how contacts are made or how beer cans are made and filled (I know how they're emptied).

Basically, I'm part of a plan to create jobs for Georgians and train Georgians for better/higher paying jobs...and from time to time, that makes you feel pretty good about going to work.

More babbling than needed...but thanks for the interest.

^billy

videoslave
#43058 04/29/04 02:22 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you're still having trouble with friends offering you toxic substances, do like I did when I was 21 and tell them, "If you come by with that s**t again, I'm going to kill you."
Say it like you mean it and it's pretty effective.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters