Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: New Firmware anytime soon?
jmone #430391 10/19/18 04:35 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
You know what? I really wish Axiom hadn't built this damned thing. Two speakers 16" apart is never a good thing. Now it's just gonna distract everyone at the factory and the lab from what really needs to get done.

BTW Chess, you need to upgrade to v4.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #430392 10/19/18 06:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Mojo
You know what? I really wish Axiom hadn't built this damned thing. Two speakers 16" apart is never a good thing. Now it's just gonna distract everyone at the factory and the lab from what really needs to get done.

Is there a list?

Quote:
BTW Chess, you need to upgrade to v4.

Bollocks.
I've got my resistors in place with my Ti versions!

I am however considering some replacements in the relatively near future. OLED has finally come along far enough for me to pull the trigger and replace the very aged Toshiba RPTV. The next unit will likely be 75".
In doing that, i might replace the VP150 with a larger VP160.
In making those changes, i'll also need a new receiver that actually has HDMI connections.

There's a real cascade effect coming soon.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
jmone #430393 10/19/18 06:19 PM
M
M
Chess, I am sure there's a list but of course we're not privy to it. However, anything on that list is higher priority than stereo drivers separated by a distance of 16". smile

Let me tell you, the v4 is a different animal. Look at my thread on "out with the old in with the new". I suppose it depends on your tastes somewhat. If you don't care about wider and deeper sound-stage and vastly improved clarity and image focus, then don't bother. But last night was very telling. My friend who doesn't give a second thought to sound, found the whole "audition" extremely enlightening. She's gone from not wanting any speakers to thinking about how to best integrate M3s into her space.

Mojo #430394 10/19/18 06:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Mojo
Chess, I am sure there's a list but of course we're not privy to it. However, anything on that list is higher priority than stereo drivers separated by a distance of 16". smile

I actually thought you had a list.

Quote:
Let me tell you, the v4 is a different animal. Look at my thread on "out with the old in with the new". I suppose it depends on your tastes somewhat. If you don't care about wider and deeper sound-stage and vastly improved clarity and image focus, then don't bother. But last night was very telling. My friend who doesn't give a second thought to sound, found the whole "audition" extremely enlightening. She's gone from not wanting any speakers to thinking about how to best integrate M3s into her space.

I've heard the v4. One subtle noticeable difference is the highs aren't as piercing, but my Ti have the resistor in place which tames that mostly. Soundstage and depth comes more from the room and placement than the speaker (note i said 'more' not 'only').
The Ti versions we have don't get used for as much music listening as they used to, and are used more anchor the HT room for which i've found this aspect isn't as sharp on the ears and actually prefer it for dialogue.

One thing i've never liked was the EP350. I still have the original version but will move that on in due time. I haven't settled on whether i'll go with a EP500 or dual, or another sub brand.

jmone #430395 10/19/18 06:43 PM
M
M
No, I don't have a list. I just want "good" sound which I define to be the things I talked about above.

You might have a good reason for not upgrading. I am saying "might" because I haven't listened to movies yet. I can tell you though the 160v4 is fantastic and you should not torture yourself with the 150 which I imagine is v2 or earlier.

Agreed that soundstage (depth, width, height) have a lot to do with placement. I am seeing improvements
with the v4 over the v2. These improvements, along with others, justify the upgrade for me.

House of the Rising Sone
jmone #430396 10/19/18 07:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There is of course music in movies, but you aren't doing critical listening and small differences mean little.

Given our space limitations, which is to say i don't have the room to move back anymore from the front, or room to move the speakers 3 feet left and right, means i can't do much more for tweaking my room beyond room treatments. I already know the primary limitation is not being able to get that golden triangle concept going (sitting too close to the speakers reduces the sweet spots and you hear too much left or right pull depending on where you sit on the couches).
I have modified the soundstage digitally using the features in the receiver which helps smooth that out, but with a larger tv pending, i want more dispersion across the front and hence i'm leaning toward the VP160 (the VP180 would be too big for our room).

With some DVD-A music though, the individual placement of sound is stellar and makes sense the same as if you were sitting in the audience and something more on your left should sound different and louder than a musician farther off to the right of the stage.
Under those circumstances, you wouldn't realize that part of it might be the artefact of the speaker placement.

jmone #430397 10/19/18 07:19 PM
M
M
Dude, you need to move! Lots of nice homes in and around Winnipeg.

House of the Rising Sone
jmone #430398 10/19/18 07:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm already in a large house. It is the wine cellar and games room that take up the extra space.

jmone #430399 10/19/18 07:47 PM
M
M
Get your priorities straight! smile

House of the Rising Sone
jmone #430400 10/19/18 07:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The priority is to get bluetooth on this Air dammit...

I would say it's amazing that kids don't have lots of music locally on their devices, but really, they do all cloud music mostly and their devices instead are filled with useless GB of text messages that contain pics and videos which chew up GB upon GB of garbage.

Waiting for that 1TB cell phone to come out...

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Andrew, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (chapin99, Cork), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup